• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. sdtom wrote
    The Exodus re-recording from Fitzpatrick sold me on this score.

As I mentioned above, I've not had a chance to really digest this excellent re-recording. Maybe the next time I do this list it may feature?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2009/10/08/exodusgold/

This is definitely worth exploring
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture
    WINNER
    Breakfast at Tiffany's: Henry Mancini
    NOMINEES
    El Cid: Miklós Rózsa
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fanny: Morris Stoloff, Harry Sukman
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Summer and Smoke: Elmer Bernstein
    the next year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This should be a no brainer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ha! I knew you'd choose this one. I still remember when I bought the cd you mentioned this and the fact that you love The Journey, which is indeed fantastic. I have the cd release of Varèse from a couple of years ago. It was the first Bernstein I got. (not much has been added though shame )
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Alan and I agree to disagree
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You disagree that it's Alan's favourite from that year?
  2. I think that Tom's favourite score for that year is different from my own!

I'm always interested in what helps define our likes and dislikes when it comes to these choices - and if my own choices tells anyone anything about the sort of person I am! (Or whether these discussions just veer into some sort of pseudo-psychobabble!)

My choices are certainly not mirroring the "greatest scores" as defined by the industry - or other people "in the know." I don't know nearly enough about the technicalities of music or how music is used in movies to decide what is the greatest score for any given year.

It's just what particular score touches me the most for any given year. It's very personal - and will be different for eveyone. And I'm just pleased that people are interested to hear what my choices are!

beer
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    For the coming year I've got two choices. One practical and one from the heart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm always interested in what helps define our likes and dislikes when it comes to these choices - and if my own choices tells anyone anything about the sort of person I am! (Or whether these discussions just veer into some sort of pseudo-psychobabble!)

I would be fascinated to learn at what age you first saw The Magnificent Seven.
    And whether your mother had anything to do with it.

wink

I completely empathise with your choice for 1960. It's one of those visceral scores, where you just stop analysing and say "my God. This is IT!".

And as much as I am interested in human motivation, this will do me just fine!
    beer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2010
    As I said before the new Exodus release change my mind
  3. Been a bit busy over the last few days. I'm hoping that 1961 will be posted later today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2010 edited
    1961 - El Cid - Miklos Rozsa

Like Tom with Exodus, the new recording of Rozsa's score leads to a much greater appreciation of this score. Vintage Rozsa with really memorable themes - the first two cues alone are worth the price of this set. It's a finely balanced score with the blast and bombast interspersed by some lovely, reflective music.

Rozsa's at his peak here - and his score for King of Kings could easily have been a worthy replacement for my final choice. And there were some other worthy titles that didn't quite make it: Ifukube's The Tale of Osaka Castle, North's The Misfits, Herrmann's Mysterious Island, Tiomkin's The Guns of Navarone & Satoh's Yojimbo.

And quality TV scores are beginning to appear also: various scores from The Twilight Zone, Dr Kildare & Cain's Hundred are available to listen to and are good examples of memorable TV scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2010
    What can I say? smile
    Properly chuffed. Sometimes it's just right.

(Good mention too of TV scopes! Interesting to take these into scope as well. All in all things are getting quite interesting!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Martijn wrote
    (Good mention too of TV scopes! Interesting to take these into scope as well. All in all things are getting quite interesting!)

I'm sure that TV scores (and later, game scores) will feature in my selections. So I have modified the topic title accordingly.
  5. I think that this could be an example of the "practical" title Tom was meaning. With Breakfast At Tiffany's being the title "from the heart."

(I do have to admit that with Mancini's music I prefer to veer towards titles such as Lifeforce and Nightwing - NOT typical Mancini fare!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2010 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm sure that TV scores (and later, game scores) will feature in my selections. So I have modified the topic title accordingly.

Well, I guess you could simply split your preference in three?
    Or would that be "cheating"?

I'd have a hard time solely deciding which film score I'd prefer, let alone if I had to have them compete against TV and game scores! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm listening to Alone, yet again from Shostakovich and wondering if Alan has ever heard this one. It came from 1931.
  6. I've only heard clips - but didn't feel the urge to listen to anything more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    ok, fair enough
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2010
    Some of us are awaiting 1962 confused
  7. sdtom wrote
    Some of us are awaiting 1962 confused

I'll get to it as soon as I can.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2010
    I know you will smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2010
    There should only be one choice... one of the greatest scores of all time...

MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2010 edited
    Ahem Jules Et Jim ahem Experiment In Terror ahem Lawrence Of Arabia ahem Walk On The Wild Side ahem HOW THE WEST WAS WON.

I'm just sayin'...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm just saying MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    To Kill A Mockingbird needs to be thrown into the mix also
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    To Kill A Mockingbird needs to be thrown into the mix also

Not only does it have to be thrown into the mix....it has no competition, IMO. Bernstein's masterpiece and a clasisc cornerstone in film music history.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mutiny, Lawrence and Mockingbird, I would be choosing from one of these.

I look forward to seeing Alan's choice.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    In terms of being original you have to give the nod to Bernstein