• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2010
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    eh? dizzy

First part of Zimmer's Earth in Gladiator is a Kije rip off, the Romance movement. Change solo violin for trumpet and you have it.

I'm just not familiar enough with Gladiator.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    1934 - Lieutenant Kijé - Sergei Prokofiev

Looking back I've changed my mind from Honegger and chosen this one instead. It's difficult to look beyond the popular "Troika" when this score is mentioned, but there's quite a bit more that rewards the listener.

I believe the actual score isn't available and most people will have heard the symphonic suite that the composer put together that is based on the score. I have the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra/Slatkin version and I remember being really surprised to hear the vocal (baritone?) having always heard the non-vocal version (and more popular) version.

Very Russian in tone (obviously) the suite is a worthy listen.

A great choice, however I can't compare it with the film which I've never seen, on music merit alone this is superb.

Here you go: Lieutenant Kijé

Thanks Alan, I don't know when I'll get to watch it though?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Alan, i can only agree with your choice of Philip Glass' Dracula..that score is demonic! Love every second of it, rarely do we get so much tension and intensity, spread in just 4 instruments.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm going to make a point of watching Dracula (1931) again tonight. To me it just doesn't fit that film at all.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    According to the rules set down by Alan in his picks the Prokofiev piece is a good selection. The recording that I admire is Fritz Reiner/Chicago Symphony on the RCA Living Stereo Series.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010
    Alan, not sure if this is a good idea as it will increase the thread's life span to almost 2.5 months, but could you maybe slow down to one year/score a day?

That'll give us chance to comment!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think Alan will slow down as the choices become greater. These early years of sound are especially difficult.
    Thomas
  1. Martijn wrote
    Alan, not sure if this is a good idea as it will increase the thread's life span to almost 2.5 months, but could you maybe slow down to one year/score a day?

That'll give us chance to comment!

The majority of titles will be added one per day - or maybe even less. As Tom mentions thinks will slow down once the choices increase - though I do have an idea in my mind for most years. But as it's the weekend I had more time to put aside for my deliberations.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Where there other noteworthy scores besides King Kong that year?

I like King Kong, but it will never be one of my favourite scores. I like it more than Barry's though. JNH's is completely different, and easier, but after a few years, I don't prefer it above the others. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There weren't a lot of scores in the earlier years. A lot of movies used existing classical or other material for the soundtrack. Dracula as an example was Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    You mean the same Dracula that Glass scored 65 years later?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Yup. This film is readily available as part of the Universal Horror Collection.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, it's certainly an ambitious undertaking you have here, Alan, since it requires very wide exposure to lots of scores, and that you've seen/heard a representative selection of scores from EACH year to choose from. This will obviously become more difficult the more contemporary you get, and especially if you're also widening the scope beyond Hollywood (which you seems to have done with the early years).
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    Well, it's certainly an ambitious undertaking you have here, Alan, since it requires very wide exposure to lots of scores, and that you've seen/heard a representative selection of scores from EACH year to choose from. This will obviously become more difficult the more contemporary you get, and especially if you're also widening the scope beyond Hollywood (which you seems to have done with the early years).

It's something that I have tried once before, Thor, when we were scorereviews.com. And that must have been 4-6 years ago. Things have moved on a lot since then - certainly when it comes to the availability of older scores (particularly with the advent of the wonderful re-recordings that are now available).

I don't claim to have an extensive knowledge of film scores but I like to think that I have a varied enough selection to have a reasonable stab at giving this sort of topic a go. What I do enjoy about this is having people give additional ideas of what they consider their own favourites.

And that's what this really is - a personal list of my own favourites. Sometimes they are what people would consider the "best" in film scoring but in the end they are titles I would consider my favourites from each year.

1935 is coming up in a few minutes...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Bregt wrote
    Where there other noteworthy scores besides King Kong that year?

The only other scores I had heard from 1933 were The Son of Kong.
  4. 1935 - She - Max Steiner

I know I'm going to come in for a bit of stick for this choice: The Bride of Frankenstein is always cited as one of the greatest scores of all time never mind of just one year. And, yes, there are tracks such as "The Creation" and themes that are great highlights. But it also has some lows that I usually skip when listening to this.

But, to the score that I actually chose: She. A large part of what placed this above Waxman's score (which I chose last time around) is Tribute Film Classic's re-recording (which is excellent.) Before now I just had Brigham Young Film Music Archives' release of the original tracks but the new re-recordings makes this score shine. I just love the hypnotic, intoxicating theme that's best heard at the beginning of track 12. The wordless choir's version of this theme must have in the minds of the composers of the original Star Trek music 30-odd years later!

Steiner's music has been criticised in the past for being too "mickey-mousey" and there's plenty of that in this score (e.g., "Avalanche" and "The Escape" anyone?) but that can be forgiven when it's embedded in amongst such emotionally-charged music such as this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010
    This score is an example of being won over as a result of the re-recording done by Morgan/Stromberg. As we look through the noms for this year it isn't even listed, nor is The Bride of Frankenstein. The top two contenders were Captain Blood, a fine soundtrack from Korngold, and the winner The Informer another score from Steiner. I can't remember if I chose Bride or Blood before but my opinion has changed.

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2008/08/27/shemax-steiner/

I gave it an excellent review
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I was so taken with the score that I special ordered the film and have it in my collection.
    thomas smile
  5. sdtom wrote
    This score is an example of being won over as a result of the re-recording done by Morgan/Stromberg.

Re: She. Their re-recording brought out so much that just couldn't be heard in the original recording. I think that looking back at these earlier scores shows just how valuable Morgan & Stromberg have been in preserving some great early film music. And for making these scores more easily accessible - both in terms of having access to the music and for making the listening experience better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010 edited
    A friend of mine gave me the SHE recording a few months back, and to be perfectly honest, I didn't like it at all. Granted, it may be because I've never been a big fan of Steiner's in the first place, but it was too much brooding melodrama, mickey-mousing and übersentimentalities that it just felt like a disruptive listening experience, as much as it may have worked in the movie (haven't seen it) and as much as the performance by Stromberg et.al. was impeccable.

I don't know which 1935 score I would have picked instead. I'm not very good at years, so I would need to see a complete list of the year's output, both from Hollywood and beyond, to make a choice.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed She when I heard it: I'm not a big fan of Steiner either. But I think that the subject matter brought out the best in what I like and Steiner delivered. Of your list of comments I'd say that the brooding melodrama's one of the highlights for me, as well as the thematic material (though it is repeated time-and-time again though, to be fair, in a myriad of forms.)

Thanks for the comments, Thor. BTW, here's a (partial?) list of films for 1935
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The other two contenders would be Captain Blood and Bride of Frankenstein
    Thomas
  7. sdtom wrote
    Thomas

The Bride of Frankenstein was a definite contender. But the Korngold effort? Not for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

The Bride of Frankenstein was a definite contender. But the Korngold effort? Not for me.

I'm not a big fan of horror scores, but I'm a big fan of Waxman, so I think I would go for that too. I used to be hot on the Korngold swashbucklers too back in the day, but this has dwindled somewhat, pr. my recent shift in preferences.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Either choice wasn't even a nomination.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I should probably make a shorter version of She to listen to, as I find the -otherwise superb- rerecording simply too long. On the merit of sheer listenability (is that even a word?) of the current available recordings, it would be Captain Blood for me as well.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've got all three of them in my collection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You're not the only one, Tom. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010
    I'll bet Alan and Erik do also
    Thomas
  8. sdtom wrote
    I'll bet Alan and Erik do also
    Thomas

If you mean the Captain Blood / Bride of Frankenstein / She trio then - definitely! Though I have to admit that I only have the LSO/Previn tracks for Captain Blood that was released by DG back in 2002.

Korngold's scores are always going to be problematic for me as his "swashbucklers" are just too chaotic/action-packed for me to really enjoy as a stand-alone listen.

BTW, the 1936 selection will have to wait until tomorrow. I've a couple of titles to listen to again before I finalise my choice.