• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010
    Thor wrote
    SUPERMAN is a fine score, but it's a little too bombastic, whimsical and heroic for my taste these days; I liked it better before. I also prefer FURY over SUPERMAN, especially the more romantic, dark passages. I guess I'm also a bit tired of all the SUPERMAN hooplah and praise every way I turn (esp. on the FSM board). Fine film and score, no doubt about it, but I just don't get what the big deal is.

Yes, I like the main theme and love theme for Superman, but I hardly ever listen to the entire album. I'm also one of those rare people who don't really get the hooplah.

For 1978 I'd go full Morricone:

1.122 Rue de Provence
    2.Cosi' come sei
    3.Days of heaven

With an honorary mention of Jeff Wayne's War of the worlds, though not a score.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I'm gonna say something shocking now: I prefer MIDNIGHT EXPRESS over SUPERMAN these days! Yes, true.

Thor prerring cheesy synths over brass flourishes?
    Yes, I'm positively amazed at that. wink

Supes would take it for me as well, it's just beyond iconic.
    And while I agree the whole presentation of the score as presented on 2-3 disks in the last releases is too much for me as well (I agree with the more whimsical stuff being jarring), a nice 50-minute cut is, and always has been, part and parcel of my listening experience.

Much as I like The Fury, it wouldn't have come second for me: Rosenmann's The Lord Of The Rings takes that honour. I still can't believe how generally unpopular that score is! It's one of the highlights of the decade for me! Smart, harmonious where needed, deeply dissonant where appropriate, challenging, lyrical. Great stuff!

Jarre's Crossed Swords and Poledouris' Big Wednesday deserve accolades as well.
    Thoroughly enjoyable listens, the both of 'em.

plindboe wrote
    With an honorary mention of Jeff Wayne's War of the worlds, though not a score.

applause
    I have never ever found that album anywhere else but under 'Soundtracks' in stores, so for me it qualifies! wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Thor prerring cheesy synths over brass flourishes?
    Yes, I'm positively amazed at that. wink

Indeed. Enough with the brass flourishes already! Give me a funky synth groove any day.

Supes would take it for me as well, it's just beyond iconic.
    And while I agree the whole presentation of the score as presented on 2-3 disks in the last releases is too much for me as well (I agree with the more whimsical stuff being jarring), a nice 50-minute cut is, and always has been, part and parcel of my listening experience.

I agree. Just yesterday, I sold off my Rhino 2CD (and I obviously had no interest in the Box thingie back when that came out), being content with my ol' Warner CD. Even that could do with some minor abbreviation, but as a whole, it's a fine representation of the score.

Much as I like The Fury, it wouldn't have come second for me: Rosenmann's The Lord Of The Rings takes that honour. I still can't believe how generally unpopular that score is! It's one of the highlights of the decade for me! Smart, harmonious where needed, deeply dissonant where appropriate, challenging, lyrical. Great stuff!

Rosenman's LOTR was one of my all-time worst CD purchases. I had it on my sale list for many years, untill someone recently offered to take it off my hands for free. Then again, I've more or less hated everything I've heard of Rosenman's work, so that may have something to do with it. I love dissonance and stuff. Just not Rosenman's. The film is kinda fun, though, what with the whole rotoscoping technique and everything.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Days of Heaven doesn't even get a mention in my book I'm afraid.

sad

Innit! Da mans crrrrrazeeee!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Crossed Swords, Big Wednesday & Lord of The Rings? I should have googled up 1978.

I agree with people here on the whimsical bits of SUPERMAN but I still stick by that choice, it's got too many highlights for me.

Lord of The Rings is my favourite Rosenman, damn but the track Helms Deep on it's own is worth having this CD for though I shudder to think how Steven would edit it ( removing those primitive sounding horns ).
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    Innit! Da mans crrrrrazeeee!

Well said. You speak much truth and wisdom.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I can't argue with the Superman choice. I put this one in the category of King Kong, Sea Hawk, and Gone With the Wind.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. plindboe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Days of Heaven doesn't even get a mention in my book I'm afraid.

sad

What really annoys me is that I can't just put my hand on the CD I have to remind me of the score. It's in a box somewhere. And the digital copy I have is on back-up drives that are not as convenient as just lifting the CD off a shelf and putting it into the player. angry
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    nor my book either
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010
    when is the next year coming
  2. Soon. I've a lot of things on at the moment. Also, as the years progress there are more scores per year to consider. I'm trying to revisit a few of the contenders as I go along.

Maybe an expanded Conan The Barbarian has come just in time for consideration in 1982?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. This year's choice is a really difficult decision - not because of the composer because that's undoubtedly (for me) Jerry Goldsmith but because of the quality of two sci-fi scores he gave us this year. At opposite ends of the spectrum, one that's full of atmosphere, dramatic, unusual orchestrations and with the occasional soaring reference...and was very much messed around with by an up-and-coming director. The other other score is much more conventional in terms of orchestration and with a couple of themes that are still amongst his best creations....but which to choose!

1979 - Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Jerry Goldsmith

There's not much in this one: Alien or Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I love the qualities of each of them, but I'd have to settle on the latter score because it reaches the heights of both thematic excellence (with Ilia's theme and the main theme) and also is a masterclass on how a composer can keep an audience interested - and feeling something - when essentially all the actors are doing on-screen is looking out into the middle distance. Anyone who pays attention to what I usually say about this score knows how highly I regard Goldsmith's talent with tracks such as "The Cloud", "Vejur Flyover" and "The Force Field." Pure genius.

And I've not even mentioned tracks such as "The Enterprise" or "Klingon Battle". The list of wonderful tracks goes on and on. I only recently managed to hear the additional unreleased tracks for this score and on hearing them I'd just love to see an expanded release to really get down and enjoy what could be my favourite Goldsmith score.

Goldsmith's other sci-fi score, Alien, is also a wonderful score with many great set piece tracks: the eerie main theme, "The Passage", "The Skeleton", "The Shaft", "Out The Door", and this was the film that exposed me to Howard Hanson's piece used for the end credits as well as tracks from Goldsmith's Freud (and great tracks they are too!)

Other scores from this year include John Barry's Hanover Street (a bit repetitive but a lovely (and typical) Barry theme), Henry Mancini's relatively low-key and reflective Nightwing (I like how it's quite different from a typical Mancini score) and Leonard Rosenman's brutal Prophecy.

I should really mention here, John Williams' Dracula. Not because I consider it a favourite from this year but because if I don't mention it at all I'll probably be criticised for it!!

TV themes from 1979? Stu Phillips' Buck Rogers In The 25th Century was a staple highlight on a Saturday night, Vladimir Cosma's romantical and lovely theme for Kidnapped (as it was known in the UK) is one I remember with fondness and the recently commented theme for Life On Earth (Edward Williams), although short, was a great introduction to this landmark series. I'd always wait until the final end credits would pass because of the beautiful solo string passage that seemed so out of the blue when heard and then that final statement of the title theme. Those were the days when there would not be the intrusion of today's "voice-over man" that ruins a lot of end credit music.
  4. 1980 may be a bit easier to choose...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree with everything you said there Alan, 100%, for me too, boring as it makes for conversation, there could be no other choice.

You did omit one score though, John Barry's The Black Hole, a far better score than the dreary Hanover Street.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I understand your dilemma, Alan.

If this was a list of scores as they work in their respective movies, I would have no trouble selecting ALIEN, which is - after all - one of the best scores of all time in terms of an organic, sophisticated use in the film. I even wrote an article on it once.

APOCALYPSE NOW also has some of the most iconic uses of existing songs and pieces as film score, but the Coppola score doesn't do much for me.

But in terms of soundtrack listening experience, which I feel this thread is more about, your pick ain't bad. An even bigger Goldsmith favourite of mine from that year, though, is THE FIRST GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. This is definitely more of a listening experience topic. I'd say that the majority of titles I have are from movies I have not seen. Though that applies to more recent films. Back at the beginning of the '80s my movie watching would determine which scores I would purchase.

Though there are many current purchases that are for movies of this time.
  6. Timmer wrote
    You did omit one score though, John Barry's The Black Hole, a far better score than the dreary Hanover Street.

The Black Hole is a funny one for me. I enjoy this score but the repeating string device Barry uses really gets annoying to me after a while. On the other hand, I like the title theme for Hanover Street. It does seem to be repeated over and over again on the CD and I'm not sure that I could listen to the entire CD in one sitting very often.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    For 1979 my top contenders would be Star trek-The motion picture (Goldsmith), Il prato (Morricone), Dedicato al mare egeo (Morricone) and Tess (Sarde). The winner for me would be Star trek-The motion picture as well.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I didn't realise TESS was from 79? It's a beautiful score and one of my favourites, it's also a contender for best cover ever IMO. ( the LP that is )
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    as boring as this is Star Trek was the logical choice
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2010
    sdtom wrote
    as boring as this is Star Trek was the logical choice

One of THE best scores of all time IMO. if it wasn't for ST:TMP then it would have been the other JG classic ALIEN
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    of course i didn't mean star trek was boring just the logical choice.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Pun intended? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    does the pope say mass?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin
  7. 1980 - The Empire Strikes Back - John Williams

The baton's handed back to John Williams for 1980 for this awesome score that I remember pouring over for many an hour. A 2-LP set of this glorious music!! Everyone knows this score and I don't need to convince anyone of how great it is. For many, it's their favourite Star Wars score (though I think I still prefer Star Wars itself.)

Standout tracks are many (though several have been joined together over the years to form maybe-too-long tracks with even longer titles) but the whole "Battle of Hoth" is a joy, "The Asteroid Field" still excites, as does Han's freezing through to the departure of Boba Fett.

Not much else comes close to this on scale though Williams' themes for Superman add a lot to Superman II and make it worth a mention (I personally prefer this second film over the original.) Other scores of note for 1980 include Horner's Battle Beyond The Stars, Elmer Bernstein's Saturn 3, Richard Band's The Day Time Ended and (a recent discovery) Bill Conti's The Formula. Mention should also be made of John Barry's Somewhere In Time. I first heard this in the film itself and was immediately struck by how emotional it was. Great individual themes include John Carpenter's The Fog.

TV themes that got my attention in this year included the use of Vangelis' music in the Carl Sagan vehicle Cosmos, Keith Mansfield's "International Athletics" signature tune for all things athletic, Mike Post's Magnum P.I., Graham de Wilde's theme for Whicker's World and Stanley Myers' themes for the Rock Hudson sci-fi serial The Martian Chronicles (which was never as exciting as I hoped it would be.)

A final mention for the music used in the film The Shining. I recently went on a hunt for as much of this music as I could find and went through the film seeing where it all fitted - and it all fits wonderfully well. Definitely an improvement over what Wendy Carlos had in mind for the score (as heard in the "Rediscovering Lost Scores CDs.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010
    Not *gasp!* The Sex Pistols The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle??? shocked shocked shocked

....really, there is NO OTHER CONTENDER for 1980, Empire stands by itself!
  8. I've only ever seen the cover of The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle. Maybe if I had heard it it may have featured more prominently.

I've a feeling there's going to be much agreement about The Empire Strikes Back - maybe until Thor pitches in with a comment or two. wink

Next year may be a bit different?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very dry biggrin applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    smile