• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2010 edited
    1983 can only be KRULL for me.

KRRRRRRRRRRUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!! punk

Followed by another Horner score, BRAINSTORM.

Those are my big two but two great scores from Goldsmith too with UNDER FIRE and TWILIGHT ZONE THE MOVIE, also Philip Glass KOYANISQAATSI and Tangerine Dream's THE KEEP, John Williams superb ( but weaker than the first two ) RETURN OF THE JEDI.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2010
    confused
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What's confusing Tom?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote
    Jedi beaten after Conan was left out. sad
    I think I will need some therapy before I'm able to return to this thread.

this
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    'tIs most simple:
    For the year of our Lord nineteen eighty two Alan doth not his eye upon Conan (troubling the weary Aquilonian upon a browsy wear) let fall as prime and foremost of worthy choices.
    And lo! For his malversance doth exceed into the year nineteen eighty three whereupon he did, with great malice, not elect as being of most worth the illustrious Return Of The Jedi.

Yay verily I say unto thee that I am scarred for life.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. You is wicked, Martijn.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    'tIs most simple:
    For the year of our Lord nineteen eighty two Alan doth not his eye upon Conan (troubling the weary Aquilonian upon a browsy wear) let fall as prime and foremost of worthy choices.
    And lo! For his malversance doth exceed into the year nineteen eighty three whereupon he did, with great malice, not elect as being of most worth the illustrious Return Of The Jedi.

Yay verily I say unto thee that I am scarred for life.

lol applause

...personally I still can't get over the fact he chose kamen's The Dead Zone???
  2. You had to have been there.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    1983 - The Dead Zone - Michael Kamen

Holy crap! Never listened to that one. Guess I shuold give it a try.

My choice would have been Under fire (Goldsmith) no doubt about it. This is my favourite Goldsmith score. My favourite Horner score is from the same year, i.e. Krull, and that would have been my second choice. Williams' Return of the Jedi and Delerue's Man, woman and child are way up there as well.

Peter smile
  3. I'm definitely one who tends to migrate towards action scoring and so titles such as Return of The Jedi and Krull would be obvious choices.

But I'm a big fan of The Dead Zone as a movie. I find that Cronenberg nailed on the head the struggles that the Christopher Walken character goes through as a result of what happened to him. And Michael Kamen, I think, manages to nail also the character's emotional turmoil.

All that together means that Kamen's The Dead Zone edges out all the others - scores that may be great to listen to. But just not as a favourite of that year.

Hopefully, choices like this make you all keep coming back to see what he's chosen year after year! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm glad you're making some controversial choices Alan, it certainly makes this thread busier and more fun. I really like The Dead Zone, film and score, it's just that this score would have come quite far down in 83's list for me.
  4. That's fine. I'm hoping that people find my choices interesting - sometimes I'm not too good at expressing why I like a score over the rest (sometimes it's just a coming together of circumstances at the time the score came out).

I'm not good at arguing for a score from a musical standpoint - and I never set out to do that.

The more people who post here the happier I'll be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You're STILL wrong, though. angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn's STILL right, though. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    That's fine. I'm hoping that people find my choices interesting - sometimes I'm not too good at expressing why I like a score over the rest (sometimes it's just a coming together of circumstances at the time the score came out).

I'm not good at arguing for a score from a musical standpoint - and I never set out to do that.

I'm sort of sad that this thread will probably get a lot busier the closer you get to modern scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    That's fine. I'm hoping that people find my choices interesting - sometimes I'm not too good at expressing why I like a score over the rest (sometimes it's just a coming together of circumstances at the time the score came out).

I'm sort of sad that this thread will probably get a lot busier the closer you get to modern scores.

Not really sad. More like natural, since there are many young 'uns around here who are mostly concerned about the things of their own lifetime. But yeah, I get your point. There's more than 110 years of brilliant film music to choose from, so continous discovery should always be encouraged.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. This time that I'm covering now would be what I would call my "Golden Age". I'd only really started looking out for soundtracks both in the shops and also on TV. The number of scores I had would have been small and every title would have been poured over for some length of time.

In saying that, I believe the CD to The Dead Zone did not appear until the mid-90s and I can't recall whether it was available on LP. So the chances are that I didn't hear the music when the film was showing (I was too young even to see the movie at the pictures). Probably, I saw it on TV 4-5 years later, was immediately drawn to the score as heard in the film and had one of those heart-fluttering moments when I came across it (probably online).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Can't agree on this one
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    As far as I know The Dead Zone never had an LP release, such was the information highway back then that I only found it by accident on a trip to Tower Records in Piccadilly Circus sometime in the 90's.
  6. I didn't think there was an LP out.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, it wouldn't have been impossible for a Dead Zone CD release, John Barry's Octopussy ( 1983....and my least favourite Barry/Bond score ) must be one of the earliest film score CD releases?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2010 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    But I'm a big fan of The Dead Zone as a movie. I find that Cronenberg nailed on the head the struggles that the Christopher Walken character goes through as a result of what happened to him. And Michael Kamen, I think, manages to nail also the character's emotional turmoil.

All that together means that Kamen's The Dead Zone edges out all the others - scores that may be great to listen to. But just not as a favourite of that year.

Hopefully, choices like this make you all keep coming back to see what he's chosen year after year! wink

Is there anything in this score to like for someone who haven't seen the movie, don't plan to watch it, isn't a big fan of horror scores and likes his themes to be melodic and catchy?

In any case, what's the most listenable track on the album? I'll give that a try if you have a favourite.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2010 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Is there anything in this score to like for someone who haven't seen the movie, don't plan to watch it, isn't a big fan of horror scores and likes his themes to be melodic and catchy?

In any case, what's the most listenable track on the album? I'll give that a try if you have a favourite.

I suppose that the score for The Dead Zone revolves around the material heard in the first track "Opening Titles" (the sound isn't the best but it lets you hear the theme). Maybe I'm biased having seen the movie but to me this music just oozes loss with romanticism that always seems to be just out of reach, on the tip of the tongue. The thematic stuff is referred to time and time again throughout the film (and this cue is actually tracked to the finale of the movie).

There is a lot of low-key and atmospheric material in the score - there's a lot of snooping around in the film, particularly during the secondary plot line of the murder investigation.

This clip from early on in the movie highlights how Kamen uses this love/loss theme to great effect and then goes on to give an idea of Kamen's scoring for the "action".

Don't get me wrong, there's not much to this score - mostly the main theme material - but it's so memorable and so well used that it's a top selection.

BTW, thanks Peter for taking such an interest in my choices. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2010 edited
    Thanks for the description, Alan. I'm listening to the "Opening titles" now. I think it's the kind of music that I'll have to listen to several times before it gets to me. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, as some of my alltime favourite music didn't get to me on first listen, but took a little effort.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    BTW, thanks Peter for taking such an interest in my choices. beer

Well, your choices in this thread is the reason that I discovered the theme from "UFO" (Barry Gray) and "Kung fu" (Jim Helms), so thank you for providing some interest-worthy choices. beer The UFO theme is a great listen, but the "Kung fu" theme in particular just floored me as soon as I heard it. It's über-gorgeous and just the kind of music I like.

Peter smile

Edited to add: Oh, and "La battaglia del deserto" (Nicolai)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2010 edited
    If you like the Kung-Fu theme Peter ( yeah, it's always been a favourite of mine ) you'd really love Bruce Smeaton's The Silent Flute ( also starring David Carradine ), kind of a cross between John Barry's Body Heat with the mysticism of Jim Helms theme, unfortunately it's not available anywhere except on the DVD release, it's long been one of my holy grail scores.

As for THE DEAD ZONE, I'd recommend it as a film, it's NOT a horror film, more of a psychic thriller, very good King adaptation.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2010
    Well, how wrong can I be? Someone has obviously posted a lot of clips since I last checked this on youtube.

THE SILENT FLUTE

The theme starts up at about the 40 second mark.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2010
    Nice theme indeed, Timmer. So far it doesn't floor me like the "Kung fu" theme, but it does have that mystical sound to it. Reminds me more of Smeaton's excellent theme from "Iceman".

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2010
    plindboe wrote
    Nice theme indeed, Timmer. So far it doesn't floor me like the "Kung fu" theme, but it does have that mystical sound to it. Reminds me more of Smeaton's excellent theme from "Iceman".

Peter smile

nor me
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    THE SILENT FLUTE

..."starring Eli Wallach as The Man In Oil"... uhm
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    THE SILENT FLUTE

..."starring Eli Wallach as The Man In Oil"... uhm

Now, if it had been Demetris Christodoulides as The Man In Oil biggrin

Did you like the theme?