• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2010
    who called me ?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2010
    I listened to it but the quality is so crappy its hard to determine.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2010
    when is the next year going to happen?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    After Friday Tom.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    After Friday Tom.

face-palm-mt wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. sdtom wrote

When I get around to it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Fair enough Alan
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote

When I get around to it.

Am I very weird if this phrase reminds me of the movie Heat? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    YES!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Does it?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Does it what?
  4. Does the phrase remind people of Heat?

Keep up Tim!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Dunno!?
  5. Val Kilmer: "When will you get some furniture?"
    Robert DeNiro: "When I get around to it."
    (...)
    Val Kilmer: When will you get married?
    Robert DeNiro: When I get around to it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2010
    smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2011
    I wonder what Alan will choose for 1984? My choice would ( without looking at other contenders as yet? ) be STAR TREK III : THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK but considering Alan already chose Star Trek II for 1982 I doubt he'll go for this, we'll see?
  6. I'll get to this soon. The holidays and my (improving) back have delayed things significantly.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2011
    I know, in your own time Alan, I just wanted to get a bit of speculation going here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011
    I know what my 1984 choice would be, and it wouldn't include pointy ears and logic, but I'll let Alan post first.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    My 1984 choice would include this guy :whip:

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sleep sleep sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    sleep sleep sleep

To quote the Oingo Boingo song:

"WAKE UP...It's 1984!" smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    sleep sleep sleep

Do you not like Temple of Doom, Tom?
  7. sdtom wrote
    sleep sleep sleep

Okay, here we go (and from my convalescence bed wink )

1984 - Star Trek III: The Search For Spock - James Horner

Two main reasons for choosing Horner's second foray into the Roddenberry universe: continuing his wonderfully grand (in it's own way) main theme - and it's variations - and the tribal Klingon music. Oh, and the action music, including "Stealing The Enterprise". This second score is just James Horner's Star Trek score Part II and is a great companion piece to The Wrath of Khan. I've never been as keen on the Vulcan ritual tracks on CD (great in the film though) but that doesn't matter when there's the rest to enjoy. FSM's expansion of this score is great and adds another dimension to the listening experience, filling in gaps sorely missed in the original release.

1984 was a good year for themes in films. Yes, there was the continuation of some franchises with Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom and Conan The Destroyer that offered some good additions. But several scores from this year gave memorable themes that, for me, outlast the scores they come from: Children of The Corn (Jonathan Elias), Dune (Toto), Paris, Texas (Ry Cooder), Starman (Jack Nitzsche), The Last Starfighter (Craig Safan) and The Terminator (Brad Fiedel) all fall into this category.

Jerry Goldsmith's Supergirl has a lot going for it but I've always been disappointed with the sound quality on the CD and don't tend to listen to it much. And I'm always surprised somehow by how little I listen to Elmer Bernstein's Ghostbusters: "Dana's Theme" is what I listen to most here.

Not much grabs my attention in this year from outside Hollywood.

1980's pop makes some inroads to my favourites list this year with Harold Faltermeyer's theme for Beverly Hills Cop and the "better" Miami Vice (Jan Hammer) on TV. TV themes are a bit scarce for this year with other themes such as Ken Freeman's theme for the BBC adaptation of Samuel Youd's novels The Tripods and Dennis McCarthy's percussion/synth theme for V - The Final Battle worth a mention.

James Horner's banner is flying high at the moment...
  8. And looking at 1985 this could be the first year where a TV production takes top spot...but I see that there is some stiff competition further down the alphabetical list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Horner's ST3 is good, but far from my favourite this year.

In fact, as we're getting closer and closer to my "own" time, there is an increasing number to choose from.

My own honourable mentions go out to ST3, GREMLINS, TEMPLE OF DOOM, CHILDREN OF THE CORN, THE COMPANY OF WOLVES, DUNE and THE KARATE KID (although that's mostly because of the songs), all brilliant scores.

The prize for best score in the film would arguably go to THE TERMINATOR, even though I can't stand it on album.

In the end, though, my choice would stand between three, largely synth-based scores - which is an idiom very close to my heart: Vangelis' BOUNTY, Doldinger & Moroder's NEVERENDING STORY and Faltermeyer's BEVERLY HILLS COP. It's a difficult choice, but it would have to be:

NEVERENDING STORY

Great year.

(and I also echo the MIAMI VICE pick, even though I - unlike Alan - try to keep TV out of it).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, a lot of good to great scores in this year, particular stand outs include Temple of Doom, The Never Ending Story, Bounty, Ghostbusters, Dune and the seriously underrated Conan The Destroyer.

Alan made THE RIGHT CHOICE, STAR TREK III FTW! punk

I agree with Thor's comments regarding THE TERMINATOR and I also can't listen to it but what a score to film it is.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011 edited
    My 2nd choice for this year didn't get a mention from Alan, and that's JOHN BARRY's beautifully sublime UNTIL SEPTEMBER, a love story set in Paris and a score rich in diversity, this score has rarely been far away from my playlist, far better IMO than the composers much lauded Somewhere In Time.
  9. Thor wrote
    ...even though I - unlike Alan - try to keep TV out of it).

Interesting to hear.

For me, I find it difficult to separate them. Growing up the music was an integral part of the audio/visual treat whether it was film or TV. Which is why I think I've no problems with having them both in the same mix.

And I have no problem either with them being separated either.