• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010
    Rats! I was looking forward to seeing the result this morning. I wonder if Martijn has the Tsunami release of the material. I actually have the Marco Polo, Previn, and RCA/Gerhardt release of Blood.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The Tsunami release of She?
    Yeah, I have that one (too).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I have the Tsunami Captain Blood, I think I've only listened to it once.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. sdtom wrote
    Rats! I was looking forward to seeing the result this morning.

shame

I will have the next one up tonight.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've not heard either Tsunami release. I do have the BYU release of She but much prefer the Tribute release.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    I have the Tsunami Captain Blood, I think I've only listened to it once.

Like Steven I find it hard to listen to these archaic recordings.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Sometimes OST material isn't necessarily the best.
    Thomas
  2. sdtom wrote
    Sometimes OST material isn't necessarily the best.

And Steiner's She is a good example of that.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. 1936 - Things To Come - Sir Arthur Bliss

I'm going to stay with the choice I made last time. Bliss' vision of the future is not a particularly happy one with tracks such as "The World In Ruins" and "Pestilence" that paint broad strokes and hinting at the hardship. I prefer the way the composer provides an emotional feel with the music rather than spelling out everything in music.

There's a lot to discover with this score: not just in the tracks cited above. Lighter (it's all relative) moments include "Ballet For Children" and there's an almost patriotic feel to the concluding "Epilogue".

It's a title that's just the right length on CD for an enjoyable listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2010
    Which recording (s) do you have Alan?
    Thomas
  4. sdtom wrote
    Which recording (s) do you have Alan?

I have the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra/Gamba version that was released on Chandos back in 2001.

I've heard clips from Naxos' version (Queensland Symphony Orchestra/Lyndon-Gee) that could be a version worth getting (though there are not as many tracks compared with the Chandos version).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Naxos release was never made available in the US so I've not heard any of it. I'm satisfied with my Chandos recording.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No argument on this one.
    Very powerful score, and quite modern sounding too.

I love the March (which is its most oft used track on rerecordings and compilations and such).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I do believe that Herrmann chose this on one of his London compilations.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I do believe that Herrmann chose this on one of his London compilations.
    Thomas

That was the first time I heard it Tom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2010 edited
    1937 - Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs - Frank Churchill / Leigh Harline / Paul J. Smith / Larry Morey

I have to admit upfront that 1937 is a bit of lean year for me when it comes to film scores. But listening to this score, it's clear that it's much more than a few well-known songs. The songs (well some of them) are iconic: "Whistle While You Work", "Heigh-Ho", what more can you say. But there's episodes that are so dark that it's difficult to believe that the music was composed for an animated film - e.g., "Have A Bite".

But, I have to admit that the singing voice for Snow White (Adriana Caselotti?) is really annoying.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010
    I haven't seen the film since I was a child Alan, the songs, as you rightly say are amongst the most iconic written.

Were there many other choices for you from 1937?
  5. Timmer wrote
    Were there many other choices for you from 1937?

No.

There were only a couple that I could listen to: Korngold's The Prince and The Pauper (and only then it was the Previn/LSO suite and an 8-minute collection of original tracks on the Rhino Records' Korngold box set) and Benjamin Britten's Love From A Stranger - and a few songs from Way Out West!

So, Snow White stood out by a mile!!
  6. For 1938 there's really only a couple of contenders here too. shame

More on that tomorrow.

Sorry, Tom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I have a very interesting recording of "Someday My Prince Will Come" with Oscar Peterson and Nelson Riddle, no vocal.
    Alan, you might consider purchasing the Tribute re-recording of Prince and the Pauper
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I only have 3 full scores from the 30's, and a bunch of snippets on various compilation albums, so so far this topic goes above my head. wink In any case, I know what my choice would be for 1938. An immensely influential score.

Peter smile
  7. sdtom wrote
    Alan, you might consider purchasing the Tribute re-recording of Prince and the Pauper
    Thomas

Tom, I have considered it in the past - and on more than one occasion. But the clips I've heard and the tracks contained in the suites I already possess don't inspire me to buy a whole CD's worth of the score.

I think that if I were to be asked to put Korngold into a "favourite composers" pile I would not do it. I'm not too keen on his "historical drama" scores. But that's not to say a Korngold score won't make my list.
  8. plindboe wrote
    I only have 3 full scores from the 30's, and a bunch of snippets on various compilation albums, so so far this topic goes above my head.

And, if you are interested, now there's a list of titles that may be worth tracking down?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Indeed. Some of them certainly made me interested.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    But, I have to admit that the singing voice for Snow White (Adriana Caselotti?) is really annoying.

Well, it's very much in that semi-operatic, trilling, shrill thirties style.
    It's not my favourite style either, but I can live with it.

Did you know Disney made sure Caselotti never worked again?
    Disney didn't want to "spoil the Snow White magic" by having her voice heard anywhere else. Ever.
    Als she was ever able to do was (re)record the Snow White songs. sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Well, it's very much in that semi-operatic, trilling, shrill thirties style.
    It's not my favourite style either, but I can live with it.

Did you know Disney made sure Caselotti never worked again?
    Disney didn't want to "spoil the Snow White magic" by having her voice heard anywhere else. Ever.
    Als she was ever able to do was (re)record the Snow White songs. sad

^
    Missed True/False opportunity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    F*ck.
    F*CK!
    F*CK!!!
    angry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010 edited
    I think we've both missed the boat in recent months Martijn. slant

Your above would have been an excellent one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I didn't know that about Disney which makes me like him less.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2010 edited
    I didn't knew the film Snow White was that old! shocked

It's the only score I vaguely remember.

And Disney is an odd person apparently. Why would he want that? confused
    Kazoo