• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. No love for Driving Miss Daisy? I think it's a better score (in film and on album) than Rain Man!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2011
    Neither of them are scores I enjoy.....or own, for that matter wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    No love for Driving Miss Daisy? I think it's a better score (in film and on album) than Rain Man!

It's good, but not really REMARKABLE. Works as a neat pop/blues/period-album.

RAIN MAN is in a whole other league, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I think that musically Driving Miss Daisy is a better rounded score than the somewhat disjointed (I never got the recent release, but I heard the bootleg) Rain Man
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    PawelStroinski wrote
    No love for Driving Miss Daisy? I think it's a better score (in film and on album) than Rain Man!

Not a fan of the score
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    PawelStroinski wrote

Has one of my favourite themes by Zimmer. Always makes me in a good mood.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No love for DAYS OF THUNDER??? wink

i really can't describe to you how much this score makes me feel ill
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Great guitar anthem in that one!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Tim, Zimmer himself literally HATES what he did on Days of Thunder (asked why isn't "the good music released from Days of Thunder" he said "Because there is no good music!").
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    No love for DAYS OF THUNDER??? wink

i really can't describe to you how much this score makes me feel ill

I mentioned that in my "honorable mentions", Tim.

Love that score from start to finish, so we're definitely on opposite sides of the spectrum here.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    100% agree.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2011
    I'm wondering if Alan's choice for 1991 will be the same as last time? I suspect it will be. wink
  4. Timmer wrote
    I'm wondering if Alan's choice for 1991 will be the same as last time? I suspect it will be. wink

A gentle prod for me? Now, I just need to hunt out my list from last time!

Looking down the possible candidates there's a couple from a very popular composer that are in the running - with one of these in particular that brings a tear to my eye every time I hear the climax to the film. But there's also another contender from one of my favourite composers: some great set-piece tracks in this one...

dizzy

I'll try and get this year up tomorrow.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Actually, I don't think I will look out my old list. I can't remember which one I chose so I'll be interested to see if I do choose the same one this time!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'll never know because I don't have your old list.
    Tom smile
  6. I'm sure Tim will bring us up to date once I post 1991!
  7. 1991 - Backdraft - Hans Zimmer

Another tricky year and what confirmed my selection was the fact that, when I listened to Zimmer's score again earlier, I could feel the tears well up again as I listened to the final couple of tracks. For some reason Zimmer's score just pulls on those emotional heartstrings in the last couple of tracks. Maybe it's heightened by post-9/11 feelings, I don't know but the effect is consistent! As well as the emotional aspect, this is the Zimmer mode I really enjoy: listenable, all out action scoring. Honourable (lots of brass) and militaristic (snare drums galore) all add to the mix for a great listen. It's not all great - there are some tracks that I wouldn't mind not hearing again, but this one still gets my top choice for 1991.

Zimmer in a more urban and intimate mode is another highlight from this year: Regarding Henry. A great listen just to chill out to. I like his use of synths in this one. When I hear synths I find the characteristics of the sound the synth gives out is very important to my enjoyment. I don't like my synths too harsh, rather, I want them to be "full-bodied", "rounded"...whatever than means. (That's one of the reasons I always preferred Jean-Michel Jarre over Vangelis: the latter's choice of synths was always too harsh for me, too pointy.)

Another close runner for this year was Howard Shore's The Silence of The Lambs. Tracks such as "Main Title", "Quid Pro Quo", "Lambs Screaming" and "Lecter Escapes" make for a great 20 minutes listening.

Other worthy mentions in this year: Elmer Bernstein's adaption of Bernard Herrmann's Cape Fear, Brad Fiedel's main theme for Terminator 2: Judgment Day and Richard Stone's exciting score for the western/vampire movie Sundown.

Finally, a couple of foreign-titled projects to make the year more highbrow. wink

Michel Legrand's Fuga dal Paradiso is a wonderful meld of classical-style passages punctured by more modernistic and atonal sections (maybe to reflect the dual prison/paradise plot?) I don't think I've seen any reference to this score anywhere but it's a little gem of a score that should have a wider audience. And George Delerue's Tours du Monde, Tours du Ciel (for a mini-series on astronomy and the history of science) is a lovely score rich in Delerue's strings-laden style: very similar to the classical-style pieces of Legrand's score.
  8. Have my tastes changed, Tim? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Good selection Alan. One of the few Zimmer that I enjoy.
  9. sdtom wrote
    Good selection Alan. One of the few Zimmer that I enjoy.

I even like the songs!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Have my tastes changed, Tim? wink

T'would seem so!? wink

Unless my memory is at fault I believe you chose SILENCE OF THE LAMBS last time.

Personally, I don't think I have a flat out favourite for this year, BACKDRAFT is a fine choice ( except for those songs Alan, no, really, they aren't good and you should be severely punished for liking them ), a few that I would add are David Newman's very fine BILL & TED'S BOGUS JOURNEY, John Williams JFK, Mark Isham's POINT BREAK and Georges Delerue's BLACK ROBE.
  10. I need to do a complete revision again in a few years to have a "best-of-three".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I need to do a complete revision again in a few years to have a "best-of-three".

Why not? Sounds like a good idea and who knows, maybe more folk around these here parts will have finally have a broader scope of film music that goes beyond Zimmer, Powell etc etc by that time?

I was thinking of doing a thread similar to this one, Alan, that would be about favourite films of the year, problem is I don't know where to start? I'd only be really comfortable choosing from around 1950 onwards due to my lack of knowledge and familiarity with anything earlier.
  11. Has anyone seen the projects that feature the scores of Legrand and/or Delerue?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    For the next 10 years or so, we're slowly venturing into my MAIN period for film music fandom. So difficult to choose it is!

BACKDRAFT is a great choice, Alan....love the "firetruck" cue, and even like Bruce Hornby(?)'s songs. That would be on my honorable mention list, for sure.

Others would be BLACK ROBE (Delerue), JFK (Williams), ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES (Kamen), BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (Menken), GRAND CANYON (Howard), THE ROCKETEER (Horner) and STAR TREK VI (Eidelman).

TERMINATOR 2 is brilliant in the film, but not something I would listen to alone.

The winner, then, is:

HOOK (John Williams)

Personal trivia: My very first soundtrack compact disc was purchased in 1991 (I only had a couple of cassettes prior to that, TWIN PEAKS, among others) -- namely the soul/blues songs from THE COMMITMENTS.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Has anyone seen the projects that feature the scores of Legrand and/or Delerue?

No, but I think I have some selections on my two CD box sets of the two composers.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cripes! How did I not mention GRAND CANYON, THE ROCKETEER and STAR TREK VI?

I think now that my choice veers more towards JNH's GRAND CANYON, it's just such an enjoyable album.

Apart from a few tracks HOOK has never really done much for me, I loathe the film too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Has anyone seen the projects that feature the scores of Legrand and/or Delerue?

No, but I think I have some selections on my two CD box sets of the two composers.

The Delerue pieces, yes! The Legrand work doesn't appear in the box set.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Thor wrote
    For the next 10 years or so, we're slowly venturing into my MAIN period for film music fandom. So difficult to choose it is!

BACKDRAFT is a great choice, Alan....love the "firetruck" cue, and even like Bruce Hornby(?)'s songs. That would be on my honorable mention list, for sure.

Others would be BLACK ROBE (Delerue), JFK (Williams), ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES (Kamen), BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (Menken), GRAND CANYON (Howard), THE ROCKETEER (Horner) and STAR TREK VI (Eidelman).

TERMINATOR 2 is brilliant in the film, but not something I would listen to alone.

The winner, then, is:

HOOK (John Williams)

Personal trivia: My very first soundtrack compact disc was purchased in 1991 (I only had a couple of cassettes prior to that, TWIN PEAKS, among others) -- namely the soul/blues songs from THE COMMITMENTS.

I agree 100% with Hook. Perhaps my favorite score of all time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2011
    Great choice, Alan. Backdraft is an awesome score! I concur with you mentioning Richard Stone's fantastic Sundown, but according to imdb it's from 1990.

I can't really make a choice myself given that it's such a fantastic year, but I can mention a bunch. At the top of the year are the aforementioned Backdraft (Zimmer) and two that haven't been mentioned yet: L'enfant des loups (Franklin) and Il principe del deserto (Morricone). Before Newton Howard found his current style he made some excellent romantic scores, The prince of tides and Dying young both from 1991 are absolutely wonderful. Delerue had a strong year too with the somber but excellent Black robe and the super cute and innocent Curly Sue. It's also worth mentioning the score to the danish movie Drengene fra St. Petri by Jacob Groth. I remember as a kid watching the end credits again and again as I loved the theme, so it's one of my earliest memories of film music.

Peter smile