• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2011 edited
    Yeah, GUTTA FRA ST. PETRI, as it was called in Norway, is a fond childhood memory of mine. I believe it was a "school film", what with the WW2, resistance movement backdrop and everything. Always nice to get away from regular class to go to the movies during school hours. Legally! Pretty good film too, from what I can remember. However, I can't remember much of Groth's score off the top of my head.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. As usual, a mix of additional scores that I have but don't feature much on my list of favourites as well as scores I have not heard. Listening to clips of Grand Canyon, a lot of it seems of its time - and not in a good way to my ears.

The Boys of St. Petri does have a couple of tracks that I enjoy listening to again and again (the tracks that feature the main theme heavily).

I also forgot to mention Robert Folk's Toy Soldiers - this one highlights what a waste that Folk's not been used more for more high-profile scoring jobs in the past. This score has some excellent action scoring.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2011
    Indeed, the movie Drengene/Gutta/The boys from St. Petri is excellent. The score has a wonderful theme and some decent standalone tracks, but it's not enjoyable all the way through. I'd probably give it a ****-rating. I think it still deserved a mention even though it's not one of the best of that year.

Peter smile
  2. "Not enjoyable all the way through" and you still give it a **** rating!! wink

Definitely worthy of a mention for the theme. This is one of the reasons I like others chipping in also: different opinions, other suggestions, etc. And it gets people talking about scores that are not usually talked about. And maybe even sample some little-known titles.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    "Not enjoyable all the way through" and you still give it a **** rating!! wink

Hehe, well, not only is the theme great but the way it's performed at the end credits, with bells and everything is one of my all-time favourite tracks. The somber "Tristesse" theme is quite good as well. The track called "Irene" is pure summer, to my ears, a really pleasant and nice piece, reminding me of Stefan Nilsson. "Otto's theme" is surreal and sounds just like it came from "Donnie Darko" even though that score came 10 years later. I think with these gems it definitely deserves all four stars even though the album also has some tracks that are difficult to enjoy.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    Definitely worthy of a mention for the theme. This is one of the reasons I like others chipping in also: different opinions, other suggestions, etc. And it gets people talking about scores that are not usually talked about. And maybe even sample some little-known titles.

Indeed. I've learned about many rarities through this thread. I like when people give choices other than the obvious ones.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Where can one hear tracks from ST. PETRI? I wasn't even aware there was a soundtrack.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    It's probably impossible to find a place to listen to them online, but I'll be happy to mail you some tracks, Thor.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    plindboe wrote
    It's probably impossible to find a place to listen to them online, but I'll be happy to mail you some tracks, Thor.

Peter smile

Thor, you could try here: http://www.jacobgroth.dk/

There is one sample from the score, but it's not one that gives a true picture of the music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I see that as we enter the 90's this thread will gain more activity.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Yes, it will, though I can only say that I really love Backdraft and it took me years to realize how genius Hook is.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2011
    I'm beginning to think about my list starting earlier with some of the modern scores that were written for silent films.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
  4. sdtom wrote
    I'm beginning to think about my list starting earlier with some of the modern scores that were written for silent films.
    Tom smile

That is definitely a good idea, Tom. There's several scores composed recently for early silent films that I'd comment on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2011
    It would be interesting to compare the new scores with the originals too, when available.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Talking about scores for silent films, I see there are now clips available for Capriccio's re-recording of Gottfried Huppertz's score for Metropolis:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metropolis/dp/B … mp;sr=1-12

I would recommend that this is an essential purchase.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Talking about scores for silent films, I see there are now clips available for Capriccio's re-recording of Gottfried Huppertz's score for Metropolis:

As would I
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Davis has made a great contribution in this area of music. His work with Chaplin silent films is superb
  6. Carl Davis certainly has contributed greatly to the silent era in terms of composing music for films from this period.

Though I don't think that the music is particularly relevant to when the film was originally made. I would imagine that the composer has his/her own modern-day take on the images. But I'd be surprised if any modern-day composer would compose music for a silent era film trying to compose music of the period.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Carl Davis certainly has contributed greatly to the silent era in terms of composing music for films from this period.

Though I don't think that the music is particularly relevant to when the film was originally made. I would imagine that the composer has his/her own modern-day take on the images. But I'd be surprised if any modern-day composer would compose music for a silent era film trying to compose music of the period.

Certainly Bernard and Glass didn't
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Talking about scores for silent films, I see there are now clips available for Capriccio's re-recording of Gottfried Huppertz's score for Metropolis:

It's hard to beat the original, but Korzeniowski's version from a few years ago comes pretty darn close.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I shall give a listen tomorrow.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2011 edited
    No rush Alan but it's been some time since May 11th, do you have any idea what you're going to choose for 1992?
  7. I should get my choice up this weekend. My usual lethargy together with events have meant things have dragged on a bit.

I do wish I had somewhere in the house apart from things so that I could concentrate on doing this sort of thing. I usually have to wait until everyone has gone to bed.

At least one new entry will be up this weekend, a new review needs to be finished and some linking dialogue needs to be done for suites I have had for ages for one of Erik's shows!
  8. 1992 - Jennifer 8 - Christopher Young

This is a tough year to choose just one title to highlight and I've gone for a score that somehow just touches me in a way that I can't really fathom. Listening to the title theme for this it could be argued that it is too similar to Young's other strong piano-led themes, but there's something about this theme and tracks within the score that puts it above some of the titles mentioned below.

The tentative beginnings of the title theme track sets the scene for a beautiful piano theme that's the backbone of the score. To me there's something strong as well as delicate in the theme - maybe reflecting something in the Uma Thurman character? - and it's easily adaptable to a more filled out rendition as heard in "Eight To Nine". And tracks like "Cello For Helena" are just so beautiful with the cello solo towards the end of the track. As I mentioned, this score does sound like a few of Young's other efforts - "What You See" contains a secondary theme that is very reminiscent of a piano theme heard in Copycat - but the way the composer brings everything to an upbeat resolution finishes everything off well.

It's not an easy listen in that there's some suspense tracks that I tend to miss out (and break up the CD a bit) but the rest is excellent.

A few other titles just miss out on being picked this year: Goldenthal's Alien³ might have gotten the nod on another day. I just love this score, especially away from the film. It highlights all that's great in a Goldenthal score and I particularly love how the title track builds and builds to its climax, "Lento", "Adagio" and I particularly like "Lullaby Elegy" with it's bleakness and that wonderful echoing piano line. (Writing about it does want me to consider again whether this could be my main choice!) Wojciech Kilar's Bram Stoker's Dracula is another title that I'm disappointed doesn't get a mention, as well as Trevor Jones' The Last of The Mohicans (with a bit of a nod to Randy Edelman for tracks such as "The Courier").

I want to mention too Danny Elfman's Batman Returns - such a good companion to the over-the-top Batman. The music he wrote for The Penguin (e.g., "The Cemetery") and for Selina's transformation is Elfman at his best for me. Georges Delerue's Diên Biên Phú is also worth a mention (but was expensive to acquire!)

Mentions in dispatches for great themes/tracks within scores that I don't tend to listen to include Vangelis' 1492: Conquest of Paradise, Goldsmith's Basic Instinct, Philip Glass' theme for Candyman and the score that brought Thomas Newman to my attention: Scent of A Woman.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2011 edited
    Not STOP! OR MY MUM WILL SHOOT? wink

I knew from earlier comments that you would choose JENNIFER 8, it's a score I don't have and have never heard and not seen the film so no comment from me on that.

For me it is without a doubt Wojciech Kilar's DRACULA, a score that blew me away and was my first introduction to the composer. My second choice is Lennie Niehaus UNFORGIVEN, a superb score, very down beat and doom leaden but it perfectly fits the brilliant film and I enjoy listening to it.
  9. I do remember hearing Kilar's score in the film and thinking it was a great fit for the film and the style/feel of it. His music was quite different from what was around then.

Bram Stoker's Dracula was my first exposure to Kilar's work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2011 edited
    Yes, 1992 was a very strong year! I think I saw JENNIFER 8 once, but I don't remember anything of the plot or the music. But Young does thrillers in a musically interesting way.

Honorable mentions to me would be 1492 (Vangelis), ALADDIN (Menken), BASIC INSTINCT (Goldsmith), BATMAN RETURNS (Elfman), FAR & AWAY (Williams), HOME ALONE 2 (Williams), K2 (Zimmer), LAST OF THE MOHICANS (Jones/Edelman), MEDICINE MAN (Goldsmith), HOWARD'S END (Robbins) and DRACULA (Kilar).

But ultimately, the winner would have to be:

ALIEN 3 (Elliot Goldenthal)

....it is, after all, arguably his opus magnum.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. I think my favorite score from 1992, by a very narrow margin, is Patrick Doyle's INDOCHINE. Others that haven't been mentioned that I enjoy are Isham's A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT and Barry's CHAPLIN.
  11. christopher wrote
    I think my favorite score from 1992, by a very narrow margin, is Patrick Doyle's INDOCHINE. Others that haven't been mentioned that I enjoy are Isham's A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT and Barry's CHAPLIN.

As usual, my choice for a year has highlighted how little I actually know of film music! I have not heard any of these titles!!
    shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    christopher wrote
    I think my favorite score from 1992, by a very narrow margin, is Patrick Doyle's INDOCHINE. Others that haven't been mentioned that I enjoy are Isham's A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT and Barry's CHAPLIN.

As usual, my choice for a year has highlighted how little I actually know of film music! I have not heard any of these titles!!
    shame

How about two other scores you didn't mention, James Horner's SNEAKERS and John Williams HOME ALONE 2, both of which are very good, particularly SNEAKERS which has long been a Horner favourite of mine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011
    a very difficult year to have to make a choice