• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011
    sdtom wrote
    a very difficult year to have to make a choice

Because of too much quality or lack of, in your opinion Tom?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2011
    No not at all Tim but in my mind there wasn't that one outstanding score that stood out head and shoulders above the others. If I had to make a choice I would go with the Kilar Dracula. I base that on the fact that I've probably listened to it more times than any other score.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
  1. That's as good a reason to choose as any in a "favourite" topic. I sometimes as myself which score would I choose to listen to "now" if I have two titles I favour.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A list is definitely personal.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    I knew from earlier comments that you would choose JENNIFER 8, it's a score I don't have and have never heard and not seen the film so no comment from me on that.

For me it is without a doubt Wojciech Kilar's DRACULA, a score that blew me away and was my first introduction to the composer.

All these words reflect my position as well. Never heard of Jennifer 8, but I will definitely check it out now. Kilar's Dracula is also my clear winner. It's in my top5 of best scores of all time, and probably the first score I ever heard in full. My brother used to play it as background music for RPGs and not surprisingly it worked wonders in creating an atmosphere.

My 1992 top5 looks like this:
    1.Dracula (Kilar)
    2.1492 (Vangelis)
    3.Last of the mohicans (Jones/Edelman)
    4.Les coeurs brûlés (Cosma)
    5.Far and away (Williams)

Other scores I enjoy of that year are Candyman (Glass), Christopher Columbus: The discovery (Eidelman), City of joy (Morricone) and Medicine man (Goldsmith).

Another great year, that's for sure.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Mentions in dispatches for great themes/tracks within scores that I don't tend to listen to include Vangelis' 1492: Conquest of Paradise

I think you should definitely give the entire album a chance. It's brimming with great music. I used to have the album a while too never really giving it a fair chance, instead simply listening to the famous main theme. One day I tried to listen to the entire album and several of the tracks just blew me away. "Monastery of La Rábid" is extremely gorgeous and dreamy. My favourite track is the choral piece Light and shadow, though I had to listen to it several times before it finally got to me.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I am not sure I even have the CD. I may just have that one track. But it's a great track.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am not sure I even have the CD. I may just have that one track. But it's a great track.

It's worth keeping an eye out for Alan, I often see it in bucket shops going for a couple of quid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2011
    I'm going to have to dig out Jennifer 8 and have a listen again. It's been a long time since I heard it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2011 edited
    1993 - Jurassic Park - John Williams

Williams' theme from this film is one that is familiar with the general public and it is of a strength and quality that it doesn't suffer from the frequent appearances on TV in inappropriate places. There's not much to be said for the theme that hasn't been said before, but it's a grand theme that's one of Williams' best. It's a very versatile theme: a big statement theme, a more subtle emotional theme, a processional theme, etc and when it builds and gets blasted out by a full orchestra it still has the power to take the breath away.

Cues such as "Journey To The Island" and "Welcome To Jurassic Park" are cues of some length and just fly by when I listen to them. I won't say I listen to all the score when I dip into this CD but it's the best for me from 1993. Williams' other score from this year, Schindler's List, is another worthy title but I find it a bit too emotionally draining to really enjoy very often. I can appreciate it and can marvel at what Williams has done to create such a score, but it's not a favourite in the sense of enjoyment.

Scores such as Trevor Jones' Cliffhanger, Nyman's The Piano (way overused since the film was released), Goldsmith's Rudy and Patrick Doyle's Much Ado About Nothing all have great tracks and themes that are worth a mention for this year. And the quality of Kitaro's score for Heaven and Earth wants me to see this film someday. And Shirley Walker's Batman: Mask of The Phantasm has some great tracks.

But there seems to be a number of foreign titles that are worthy of a mention. Pino Donaggio's Dove Siete? Io Sono Qui is a good score if you like your music strings-heavy (there's little, if any, additional instruments in the orchestration) and tracks such as "La Descente a La Mine" from Jean-Louis Roque's Germinal are great (and again, strings-heavy). Henri Seroka's Kuchnia Polska contains some lovely emotional cues, Norbert J. Schneider's Stalingrad has some particularly powerful but dark cues and (probably my favourite of these foreign efforts) Wojciech Kilar's König Der Letzten Tage probably has my favourite melody of the year as heard in "Die Unmoegliche Liebe".

Quite a good year as it turned out!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2011
    Good choice
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm not a massive fan of JURASSIC PARK, I far prefer the sequel score.

My choice would go with Kilar or Nyman.
  3. Kilar is a good score - though the sound level is very low and I always have to turn the volume way up when it plays.

The Piano has a great main theme and there are some really emotional pieces in it but it has been played to death so much in everyday TV situations that it tends towards musak.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, THE PIANO has been played to death but then, so has JURASSIC PARK.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

My choice would go with Kilar or Nyman.

YIKES!!!!! shocked shocked shocked

I just looked up the year and saw what I missed out, all these were top scores IMO...

ALIVE - James Newton Howard

EVIL DEAD III : ARMY OF DARKNESS - Joseph LoDuca

INDECENT PROPOSAL / MY LIFE - John Barry

A FAR OFF PLACE / MAN WITHOUT A FACE - James Horner

IN THE LINE OF FIRE - Ennio Morricone

SOMMERSBY - Danny Elfman

But for me, far and above ALL my choices is...

LITTLE BUDDHA - RYUICHI SAKAMOTO

One of my all time favourite scores.
  4. As usual there are lots I have not heard.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    As usual there are lots I have not heard.

Not even SOMMERSBY?
  5. No, I have heard Sommersby. It just doesn't figure in my list.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Little Buddha?
  6. Timmer wrote
    Little Buddha?

Yes, heard that one too. But doesn't rate high enough with me to get a mention. Having about 50 titles to choose from for this year alone there are some titles that are favourites of others that won't get a mention.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2011
    Timmer wrote

I'm not a massive fan of the sequel score, I far prefer JURASSIC PARK.

JP would probably have been my choice as well. I'm not home for the moment so can't look into my collection, so I'm sure I'm missing something important.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2011
    Here, we see eye-to-eye, Alan. JP is probably both my favourite Williams score and my favourite score of all time.

Honorable mentions that year: ARMY OF DARKNESS (Josep LoDuca), BLOOD IN BLOOD OUT (Bill Conti), DEMOLITION MAN (Elliot Goldenthal), FALLING DOWN (James Newton Howard), GETTYSBURG (Randy Edelman), THE HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS (Hans Zimmer), MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING (Patrick Doyle), THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (Danny Elfman), POINT OF NO RETURN (Hans Zimmer), SCHINDLER'S LIST (John Williams), THE SECRET GARDEN (Zbigniew Preisner), SOMMERSBY (Danny Elfman).

It's a fantastic year, maybe my favourite of all time (also when I was beginning to be seriously interested in soundtracks), and all of the above are brilliant in their own ways.

But as I said, there's no beating:

JURASSIC PARK (John Williams)
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I expected no other choice from you, Thor.

You should check out LITTLE BUDDHA ( no, it won't replace your love for JP wink ) but it's lovely and needs to be heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I expected no other choice from you, Thor.

You should check out LITTLE BUDDHA ( no, it won't replace your love for JP wink ) but it's lovely and needs to be heard.

I already own it!! It's a good one, although it doesn't quite grab me the way, say, Zimmer does with his Asian-tinged scores.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ahhhh! Well, I think he does it much better than Zimmer, but that's neither here nor there when it comes to personal taste.
  7. Tim, have you heard Zimmer's House of the Spirits? I'd love to hear your opinion about that one!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Tim, have you heard Zimmer's House of the Spirits? I'd love to hear your opinion about that one!

That's on my "honorable mention" list. Beautiful, slow score.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Sadly out of print...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2011 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Tim, have you heard Zimmer's House of the Spirits? I'd love to hear your opinion about that one!

Yes I have and I like it!

I prefer Beyond Rangoon though.