• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2010
    Apparently he wanted to own the person completely.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010
    Bregt wrote
    I didn't knew the film Snow White was that old! shocked

It's the only score I vaguely remember.

And Disney is an odd person apparently. Why would he want that? confused

Want what?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Forbid an actress to play other parts than Snow White's singing voice.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    She could have been under contract to Disney, needed work and did something else for the studio.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, she didn't.
    She got the briefest of speaking parts on The Wizard Of Oz (she's the voice of the Tin Man's lover), and she was put under wraps for the rest of her life to protect the Snow White image.
    It's hardly the old studio system's finest hour.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You wonder is she got paid for her silence and lack of exposure.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2010
    Well, Alan what is it?
  2. sdtom wrote
    Well, Alan what is it?

I'll have it here within the hour...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    the crowd waits with baited breath....
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. 1938 - Alexander Nevsky - Sergei Prokofiev

This title is another one that featured last time round - and it made it to the list then on the basis of the Cantata I'd heard on the VoxBox label (St Louis Symphony Orchestra/Slatkin). Since then I've listened to the "Complete Film Music" re-recording (Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra/Strobel on the Capriccio label) and that's only enhanced my appreciation of the score.

It's a very sombre opening, with very effective scoring. And things just get better and better. Great choral pieces such as "Arise Russian People!", "Lake Plesheyeyo" and the choral passages in the Battle On The Ice scene. The bell ringing on "Novgorod" is something I don't remember from the VoxBox set - and is a lovely inclusion.

There's a lot more to this score than just the early references to James Horner's "danger motif" (but unfortunately, most new listeners with think that Prokofiev's copying Horner!) - and a worthy inclusion in my list.

And a word on the other contender: Korngold's The Adventures of Robin Hood. I think it's a great theme but it's just too frenetic for me to really enjoy as a listening experience.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    For me this would have been an impossible choice, two of the greatest film scores ever composed whose influences are felt even today.

A truly great choice Alan even if it is at the expense of another titan of a score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Those two are the only scores I have from '38, and I have to agree with Alan. Korngold's score is a classic, no doubt about it, but I prefer the equally classic but better listening experience of Prokofiev's score.

Great fun hearing 'The Battle on Ice' in games like Little Big Planet! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It is his thread and his list. In this case I can't argue at all.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010
    Couldn't agree more. Alexander Nevsky is extraordinary, and has inspired so many modern composers. It also has a timeless quality, while the Korngold score seems much more dated.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't like either very much. shame

(But I have no alternative to offer, so I ain't arguing smile )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. sdtom wrote
    It is his thread and his list. In this case I can't argue at all.
    Thomas

I'd still value some comment if you have any, Tom. Especially if it means that these early scores get talked about!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I don't like either very much. shame

(But I have no alternative to offer, so I ain't arguing smile )

BLASPHEMER.... STONE HIM!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'd go for NEVSKY too, even though the Korngold is one of one of the alltime classics. For some reason, my Korngold appreciation has waned somewhat over the years. He used to be my favourite Golden Ager and in fact one of my top 10 film composers. Now Waxman is THE man. But Prokofiev obviously has a far greater place in music history as a whole, and I like his concerty approach to the film medium.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There weren't a lot of choices for 1938 although I've never seen a world list of films for 1938. Robin Hood likely set the standard for the swashbuckling films and Prokofiev's Nevsky is a top 20th Century classical list choice for many.

MUSIC (Original Score): The Adventures of Robin Hood - Erich Wolfgang Korngold
    Army Girl - Victor Young
    Block-Heads - Marvin Hatley
    Blockade - Werner Janssen
    Breaking the Ice - Victor Young
    The Cowboy and the Lady - Alfred Newman
    If I Were King - Richard Hageman
    Marie Antoinette - Herbert Stothart
    Pacific Liner - Russell Bennett (early alternate billing for Robert Russell Bennett)
    Suez - Louis Silvers
    The Young in Heart - Franz Waxman

Not a whole lot to choose from.

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    For the year before I certainly neglected the fine score to Lost Horizon from Tiomkin. Both Erik and I agree the Gerhardt recording is superb
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    MUSIC (Original Score): The Wizard of Oz - Herbert Stothart
    Dark Victory - Max Steiner
    Eternally Yours - Werner Janssen
    Golden Boy - Victor Young
    Gone with the Wind - Max Steiner
    Gulliver's Travels - Victor Young
    The Man in the Iron Mask - Lud Gluskin, Lucien Moraweck
    Man of Conquest - Victor Young
    Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Dimitri Tiomkin
    Nurse Edith Cavell - Anthony Collins
    Of Mice and Men - Aaron Copland
    The Rains Came - Alfred Newman
    Wuthering Heights - Alfred Newman
    Hunchback of Notre Dame-Alfred Newman

A little bit of a heads up for 1939 although this isn't a worldwide list but Hollywood only.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ooooo, some proper doozies to choose from for next year.
    I know my favourite. Wonder what Alan will come up with?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I once listened to Robin Hood a few times, but I never really got into it I'm afraid. I haven't heard Alexander Nevsky. I should, since it apparently is such a influential score?

Does Battle on the Ice have anything to do with Hold the Ice from Hans Zimmer's King Arthur? wink
    Kazoo
  5. Not that track, but Zimmer tried to rehash it for Do You Think I'm Saxon.

He didn't succeed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    I once listened to Robin Hood a few times, but I never really got into it I'm afraid. I haven't heard Alexander Nevsky. I should, since it apparently is such a influential score?

Does Battle on the Ice have anything to do with Hold the Ice from Hans Zimmer's King Arthur? wink

You really REALLY REALLY should listen to the Prokofiev work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Or to Zimmer, of course.
  6. Rather Horner lol

Falkirk anyone?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No! Just listen to Timmer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ^ applause

(Sorry Alan. We're making a mess of your thread again. shame )
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.naxosdirect.com/title/8.555710

not a bad recording with clips