• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. 1996 - Looking For Richard - Howard Shore

There really is no contest for this year's choice. It's a score that I can sit down and listen to from start to finish and just wallow in the quality and the world Shore's music conjures up. Shore's score for Looking For Richard could be his greatest score – it is close. Looking back, there is a lot here that will re-appear later with his scores to Lord of The Rings. There's not much that is hummable, but Shore's mix of powerful orchestral clout and the massed voices matches – and perhaps exceeds – what he did for Peter Jackson's films. The music is mixed woefully low in the film itself and it's not until you hear the music as a stand-alone listen that it can be appreciated. Written based upon the characters and then edited into the film, the music is mainly heard during the acted out scenes of Richard III. This is a score that has no excess music.

Shore has two stand-out scores for 1996 and the two couldn't be more different. His score for Crash is a mesmerising and beguiling listen. The unusual orchestration of this piece is unique and hearing the likes of the woodwinds at the start of “Mirror Image” just captures very well the bleakness of the grey feel the film has. A flute portraying bleakness? That's a feat in itself.

Other mentions for 1996? I think that Randy Edelman had a strong year with scores such as Daylight and DragonHeart that had some great themes – even Diabolique featured a piano theme (heard in “Mia”) that I really like. Nick Glennie-Smith, Hans Zimmer & Harry Gregson-Williams' The Rock (credit where credit is due) has the right amount of patriotism and action scoring to make this a good score for 1996. The last half of “Rocket Away” is one of this style of composition's highlight pieces. Vladimir Cosma's score for La Jaguar has a great mix of grand orchestral force as well as some local ethnic pieces. And Elliot Goldenthal deserves a mention with his scores for Michael Collins and A Time To Kill both have some excellent tracks. And Philip Glass' The Secret Agent has a great title theme that bookends a worthwhile score.

And to try and dissuade some negative comments I should mention David Arnold's Independence Day because of it's enthusiasm and a cracker of an end credits track. I find it a bit too long to really enjoy.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011
    For me it's a weak year, there's some exceptional scores in this year but I found myself having to search for other contenders.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Agree with Tim
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll comment more later but I just wanted to chime in and say...

1. You chose exactly what I had predicted.

2. It's a bloody EXCELLENT choice!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I think that I may have chosen it last time! And nothing has appeared to change my mind.

I wonder if anything has been released that would change any choices I have already made?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Looking down my list for 1996 I would say that the likes of Jerry Goldsmith and Alan Silvestri didn't have particularly good years - though they did have big projects. Maybe even John Williams could be added to that list.

But another thing I note for this year is the appearance of the likes of Marco Beltrami (Scream, Land's End, The Incorporated) and Don Davis (Pandora's Clock, The Beast) on the scene.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I would vote for Hamlet and English Patient but I'm sure that I'm in the minority.
    Tom
  4. sdtom wrote
    I would vote for Hamlet and English Patient but I'm sure that I'm in the minority.
    Tom

Two scores I have never heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Yikes! Doyle and Yared both very good
  5. sdtom wrote

I am sure that I must have listened to clips. They must not have appealed. (I have not seen either of the films.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote

I'll vouch for the Yared score, it's very good. I haven't heard Hamlet.
  6. I went back and listened to some clips from Hamlet and The English Patient but found them to be not particularly noteworthy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    For me it's a weak year, there's some exceptional scores in this year but I found myself having to search for other contenders.

Eh? uhm

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/article … enteen.asp

My personal favorite is INDEPENDENCE DAY by David Arnold. But I don't think 1996 is weak year especially when you include MICHAEL COLLINS (Goldenthal <-- Just one of his fine scores), HAMLET (Doyle), THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (Menkin), FLY AWAY HOME (Isham), THE PORTRAIT OF A LADY (Kilar <-- Arguably his best work), 101 DALMATIANS (Kamen), THE GHOST AND THE DARKNESS (Goldsmith), MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE (Elfman), STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT (Goldsmith), SCREAM (Beltrami <-- One of the most influential horror/thriller scores ever written), BED OF ROSES (Convertino <-- No respect, yo!), DRAGONHEART (Edelman), LAWNMOWER MAN 2: BEYOND CYBERSPACE (Folk <-- Just one of the greatest action score ever written), James Horner had three gems THE SPITFIRE GRILL, COURAGE UNDER FIRE and TO GILLAN ON HER 37th BIRTHDAY, TWISTER (Mancina), THE PHANTOM (Newman <-- Just one of the best comic book scores of all time), IT'S MY PARTY (Poledouris <-- His most intimate work), THE ROCK (probably one of the most influential scores of all time)

Imagine if we had a year like that some time this decade? Yeah... 1996 was a pretty kick ass year for film music.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've never heard LOOKING FOR RICHARD, but I'll check it out based on your recommendation. Outside the LOTR films, I haven't yet heard any Shore that I really like.

1996 was smack in the middle of my soundtrack fanaticism. It was the end of high school, first year living away from home (from the autumn) and I was first starting to explore the wonders of internet to find equalminded film music fans.

Film music-wise, there are some pretty nice things too, although it was by no means a fantastic year -- especially not compared to 1995. Honorable mentions to EVITA (Andrew Lloyd Webber), THE GHOST AND THE DARKNESS (Jerry Goldsmith), THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (Alan Menken/Howard Ashman), INDEPENDENCE DAY (David Arnold), MARS ATTACKS! (Danny Elfman), MICHAEL COLLINS (Elliot Goldenthal), THE PHANTOM (David Newman), SLEEPERS (John Williams), SCREAM (Marco Beltrami....mostly as it works in the film) and TWISTER (Mark Mancina).

But there's really no competition. Nothing beats:

THE ROCK (Hans Zimmer et.al.)

It popularized the power anthem style for good, turned on a whole new generation to film music and is simply a damn good score!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Eh? uhm

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/article … enteen.asp

My personal favorite is INDEPENDENCE DAY by David Arnold. But I don't think 1996 is weak year especially when you include MICHAEL COLLINS (Goldenthal <-- Just one of his fine scores), HAMLET (Doyle), THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (Menkin), FLY AWAY HOME (Isham), THE PORTRAIT OF A LADY (Kilar <-- Arguably his best work), 101 DALMATIANS (Kamen), THE GHOST AND THE DARKNESS (Goldsmith), MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE (Elfman), STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT (Goldsmith), SCREAM (Beltrami <-- One of the most influential horror/thriller scores ever written), BED OF ROSES (Convertino <-- No respect, yo!), DRAGONHEART (Edelman), LAWNMOWER MAN 2: BEYOND CYBERSPACE (Folk <-- Just one of the greatest action score ever written), James Horner had three gems THE SPITFIRE GRILL, COURAGE UNDER FIRE and TO GILLAN ON HER 37th BIRTHDAY, TWISTER (Mancina), THE PHANTOM (Newman <-- Just one of the best comic book scores of all time), IT'S MY PARTY (Poledouris <-- His most intimate work), THE ROCK (probably one of the most influential scores of all time)

Imagine if we had a year like that some time this decade? Yeah... 1996 was a pretty kick ass year for film music.

-Erik-

A good point but then 1996 doesn't compare favourably with years that came before it....IMO of course! wink Some of your choices are scores I don't like or don't care for...INDEPENDENCE DAY, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE, TWISTER, DRAGONHEART and worst of ALL of them THE ROCK.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Some of your choices are scores I don't like or don't care for...INDEPENDENCE DAY, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE, TWISTER, DRAGONHEART and worst of ALL of them THE ROCK.

What the hell is wrong with you? shocked tongue

Ok, no seriously, what's wrong with you?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. Thor wrote
    I've never heard LOOKING FOR RICHARD, but I'll check it out based on your recommendation. Outside the LOTR films, I haven't yet heard any Shore that I really like.

I'll see if I can find some clips but here's a clip that features some music from the score. I need to check that it hasn't been tracked during translation:

http://youtu.be/TH4uQQuED98
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Some of your choices are scores I don't like or don't care for...INDEPENDENCE DAY, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE, TWISTER, DRAGONHEART and worst of ALL of them THE ROCK.

What the hell is wrong with you? shocked tongue

Ok, no seriously, what's wrong with you?

-Erik-

Nothing that can't be fixed with good music tongue

And my choice for 1996....

THE PORTRAIT OF A LADY - WOJCIECH KILAR

Closely followed by Howard Shore's LOOKING FOR RICHARD and Dave Grusin's MULHOLLAND FALLS.

And special mentions for...

THE PHANTOM
    THE GHOST AND THE DARKNESS
    STAR TREK FIRST CONTACT
    MICHAEL COLLINS
    FLY AWAY HOME
    ALASKA ( Reg Powell )
    MARS ATTACKS ( for the fantastic main titles )

p.s. One of the years best albums didn't even have an original score... TRAINSPOTTING
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    you all should consider owning several different Hamlet interpretations. There is also one by Walton, Shostakovich, and Tchaikovsky.
  8. And Morricone!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011
    That one too! I really enjoy the Shostakovich.
  9. I don't have any scores to mention that haven't already been mentioned, but my pick for 1996 is...

INDEPENDENCE DAY - David Arnold.

Followed by Horner's THE SPITFIRE GRILL and Kilar's PORTRAIT OF A LADY. I also love the new theme for Goldsmith's STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT as well as the track "Welcome to Tsavo" from THE GHOST AND THE DARKNESS.

I'm glad again to benefit from the knowledge of all you fine folk. I've never heard LOOKING FOR RICHARD or MICHAEL COLLINS, which I'm seeing mentioned most often. I've long wanted a copy of Isham's FLY AWAY HOME, but it seems that score has never been widely released. I would snatch it up in a heartbeat if one of these wonderful labels would release it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Morricone's Nostromo is my 1996 winner. Other scores I enjoy alot from that year are Morricone's Ninfa plebea and Ross' The evening star. Oh, and the theme from First contact remains one of my favourite Goldsmith themes. Ranks up there with The trees, Theme from powder and Lost in the wild in my estimation. If non-film score albums are permitted A celtic tale by the Danna brothers is extraordinary on every level. Oh, and Portman's Emma is rather sweet.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NOSTROMO is one I haven't heard but have heard so much good about, I need to find it.
  10. It's beautiful, yeah, some of the best Morricone material.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I forgot about Michael Collins which was an excellent score
  11. Just a reminder that all the titles I mentioned are excellent scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NOSTROMO is one I haven't heard but have heard so much good about, I need to find it.

You won't regret it I'm sure.

The only thing about this soundtrack I dislike is that it's a double CD and hence more expensive. It's 85 minutes long, and one of the tracks is a reprise, so it could easily have fit on a single CD.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to find. I bought mine shortly after it had been released. I'm often surprised to hear that some of the albums I bought so easily have since become ultra-rare collector items.

Peter smile

PS. Just tried an ebay search, and a guy from Turkey sells the album for £34.95. Not exactly cheap.
  12. I am surprised that you say Nostromo has only one reprise. I recall the score having 2-3 themes and they are repeated several times with the tracks not being much different from one another.

But this CD is one of the few I have that has the lettering being shiny. A good indicator of a genuine or a bootleg copy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am surprised that you say Nostromo has only one reprise. I recall the score having 2-3 themes and they are repeated several times with the tracks not being much different from one another.

The 3 main themes does indeed feature in several variations. The reprise I'm talking about is one that doesn't appear to be a variation, but one that's indistinguishable from the original. As far as I recall it's "The silver of the mine", heard in track 2 on disc 1 and the last track on disc 2.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    But this CD is one of the few I have that has the lettering being shiny. A good indicator of a genuine or a bootleg copy?

Mine has fancy shiny letters too. It's not a bootleg. I have the Polydor release. There's also an MCA release. Not sure if that one is also shiny. wink

Peter smile