• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. What I mean is whether bootleggers would go to the length of replicating the foil lettering?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011
    Ah.

Probably depends on the bootlegger. I'm sure there are high quality bootlegs out there, but they are probably the exception rather than the rule. Foil lettering is certainly a good sign.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2011
    sounds logical to me
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Ah.

Probably depends on the bootlegger. I'm sure there are high quality bootlegs out there, but they are probably the exception rather than the rule. Foil lettering is certainly a good sign.

Peter smile

The TER release of ROBOCOP on LP had foil lettering.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    interesting
  2. Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Ah.

Peter smile

The TER release of ROBOCOP on LP had foil lettering.

Did it?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeap! embossed foil lettering, I still have it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Guess it's not a sure sign then.

But with Nostromo I haven't heard of any bootleg releases before. So if there are bootlegs out there, it's more likely some guy in his mom's basement burning CD-rom copies and making the CD covers on a photocopier. There are other bootlegs though that are made by more serious companies, where alot of work goes into the product. These are the kinds of bootlegs that everyone becomes aware of.

Anyway, after I've bought an album, I don't really care about whether I have bootleg releases or not, because there's nothing to do about it then. What matters at that point is the quality of the album. I don't get the people who discover that they have a bootleg and then proceed to throw it in the trash can. I seem to recall reading about such instances on FSM. Pure insanity.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I always throw away my bootleg of a score that gets a commercial release. What use is it to me now? Inferior sound and production values etc.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Of course, throw it out if you get a better replacement. But simply throwing something out because you find out that it's a bootleg, makes no sense.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    plindboe wrote
    Of course, throw it out if you get a better replacement. But simply throwing something out because you find out that it's a bootleg, makes no sense.

Peter smile

There is a huge difference sometimes in the recording quality.
    Tom
  3. plindboe wrote

Peter smile

Unless you're morally opposed to illegal music....?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2011
    christopher wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

Unless you're morally opposed to illegal music....?

If you're morally opposed to bootlegs the important decision comes when you're deciding whether to buy it or not. If you buy it, you have done the damage, and nothing you do thereafter with the copy will ever change that. If throwing out the bootleg at that point does nothing good, there's no reason to do it.

Peter smile
  4. But what if I can't live the guilt of knowing that I own something that is not legal for me own, regardless of the fact that I already paid for it? Plus, your original comment was about throwing out a bootleg AFTER finding out it was one, so we're assuming you didn't know what it was when you paid for it, yes?

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011 edited
    When I determine morality (and guilt) it has to do with harm. The harm is done as soon as the CD is bought. Listening to it afterwards causes no additional harm. So feeling guilty that you bought it is fine, but feeling guilty for keeping it and listening to it makes no sense to me. You mght as well say to yourself "Oops, I screwed up by not doing my research properly. Might as well make the best of it and enjoy it, and then make my amends by buying any future legal release".

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011
    Pretty serious stuff here.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2011
    I was wondering if you've pondered over any choices for 1997 yet Alan?
  5. Still pondering. But my hearing issue has put paid to listening to music for the time being.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Still pondering. But my hearing issue has put paid to listening to music for the time being.

Hope it will improve soon.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Still pondering. But my hearing issue has put paid to listening to music for the time being.

In your own time Alan and I hope things improve for you as soon as possible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'd be lost if I couldn't listen to music. I hope that a good cleaning will help. I know at least for me that my ears hurt until I had the cleaning done.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011
    The FSM equivalent thread series is now up to 1996 as well. Any chance we'll see a continuation of this thread in the foreseeable future? How's your hearing, Alan?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It may be up to 96 at FSM but there's loads of gaps and it's a hodge-podge of people* starting different years.

The FSM equivalent would have been far better if it had been started by just one person like Alan's, it would also have benefitted immensely if was more set out like Alan's too.

*including me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    It may be up to 96 at FSM but there's loads of gaps and it's a hodge-podge of people* starting different years.

The FSM equivalent would have been far better if it had been started by just one person like Alan's, it would also have benefitted immensely if was more set out like Alan's too.

*including me.

Agreed. Things are much tidier here, even though we wait months for the next installment! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011 edited
    The problem with FSM is that even if, say Alan himself started a thread exactly the same as this one here, it would quickly get out of control with a small minority not "getting it" and filling in years without waiting for the next instalment, it's just too busy there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    The problem with FSM is that even if, say Alan himself started a thread exactly the same as this one here, it would quickly get out of control with a small minority not "getting it" and filling in years without waiting for the next instalment, it's just too busy there.

The optimal board would be if you combined the activity of FSM with the tidiness and atmosphere of this place. But those things seem to be mutually exclusive.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I will get my next year out later tonight.
  7. Thor wrote
    The FSM equivalent thread series is now up to 1996 as well. Any chance we'll see a continuation of this thread in the foreseeable future? How's your hearing, Alan?

Hearing is now fine, Thor. So I can't use that as an excuse anymore! wink

I have been trying to build up my number of reviews for Reel Music recently so this topic has taken a bit of a back seat. But, my choice for 1997 is imminent...
  8. 1997 - Starship Troopers - Basil Poledouris

This year, two scores stand out for me, and it is a battle between action and emotions. And action scoring won (today at least). If I were honest, the first couple of minutes of Starship Troopers' "Klendathu Drop" could be enough to clinch the vote most years. It's just such a great piece of music. Tracks such as "Bugs!!" and "Destruction of Roger Young" are also highlights on a score that does have it's highs and lows. But the highs are just so high that I had to choose this one over...Michael Nyman's Gattaca.

Gattaca is probably my favourite Nyman score. The theme in cues such as “The One Moment” is truly breathtaking in its beauty. And when you think that it can't get any better you then hear “The Arrival”! This latter cue in particular regularly leads to lumps in throats. (Gattaca could get the nod tomorrow, depends on how I feel!)

A few more "also-ran" scores worth mentioning include Christopher Gunning's Firelight. It's an attractive score that grows on you the more you listen; it seems simple but I am sure that it is not. Event Horizon (Michael Kamen & Orbital) has some effective melding of orchestra and electronics (though I find the suite format deters me from listening to it often) and the recent expanded Alien Resurrection (John Frizzell) was a surprise - I found myself appreciating this one more after hearing more of the score. Frizzell's theme for Ripley and the "End Credits" contain some of his best music. And I am going to mention George Clinton's score for Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery: a score that I have only recently heard for the first time and I love how he has nailed the James Bond style of scoring.

I'd like to mention also Terry Plumeri here too. Black Sea Raid and Mr. Atlas are scores of quality, showing off his ability at scoring action as well as more emotional pieces. My enjoyment of the latter score - with it's Americana and harmonica - may surprise some who know my likes and dislikes.

Finally, singling out some great main/title themes: Lee Holdridge's Into This Air: Death On Everest and Bruce Broughton's Shadow Conspiracy. These tracks get played often, the rest of the scores less often. And Joel McNeely's track "Marshall Flies The Skybolt" from Wild America gets a mention just because it is a great 7-minute cue.

And no, I didn't forget that Titanic was released in 1997.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011 edited
    Hmmmm? I have to say this is a MUCH BETTER year for scores than 1996 ( IM-not-HO wink )

I totally agree that it's STARSHIP TROOPERS ftw! punk

For me, not far behind are John Williams JURASSIC PARK : THE LOST WORD and SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET.

I also love James Horner's TITANIC tongue

A big mark up for David Arnold's first Bond score too, TOMORROW NEVER DIES, just a shame he hasn't hit that high since, all of his Bond scores following this have their moments but unlike John Barry's are pretty indistinguishable from each other.