• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011
    I really liked Jurassic Park
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    I really liked Jurassic Park

FYI, we're talking about the sequel, THE LOST WORLD, here. JP came out in 1993.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Glad to see another entry here.

STARSHIP TROOPERS is a wonderful and worthy pick, Alan, and I'm also glad someone else is championing the beauty of Gunning's FIRELIGHT.

Honorable mentions to me for 1997 would be THE LOST WORLD (John Williams), MEN IN BLACK (Danny Elfman), AMISTAD (John Williams), ALIEN: RESSURECTION (John Frizzell -- although more as it works in the film than as a soundtrack), BATMAN & ROBIN (Elliot Goldenthal), CONTACT (Alan Silvestri), THE EDGE (Jerry Goldsmith), FACE/OFF (John Powell), THE FIFTH ELEMENT (Eric Serra), THE ICE STORM (Mychael Danna), MIMIC (Marco Beltrami), SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET (John Williams), STARSHIP TROOPERS (Basil Poledouris), TOMORROW NEVER DIES (David Arnold), PRINCESS MONONOKE (Joe Hisaishi).

But the winner would have to be:

TITANIC (James Horner)

I kid you not.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No need to kid, Thor, TITANIC is a great score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Indeed. But it gets too much flack for the Celine Dion involvement and arguably some of the Enya riffs.

But even Dion's warblings can't ruin what is a stunningly beautiful love theme.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Timmer wrote
    No need to kid, Thor, TITANIC is a great score!

Not in this house!

It's an okay score but from what I remember it does sound a bit synthy in places. The best version I ever heard of the love theme was when Rachel used to practice it on her cornet a few years back.

Unfortunately, hormones kicked in and she gave up all her instruments. It was a sad day for me!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Interesting mentions, Alan! Most of the scores you mentioned I don't have, so I'll have to check some of those out.

I'm not usually a big fan of action music, but, as Timmer said, STARSHIP TROOPERS ftw! punk

My three favourite 97s are Starship troopers (Basil Poledouris), Lolita (Ennio Morricone) and Firelight (Christopher Gunning), and I worship all three, but Starship troopers kicks so much posterior that I can't help but declare it the winner.

Other fantastic scores: Wilde (Debbie Wiseman), Free Willy 3 (Cliff Eidelman), Antonia's line (Ilona Sekacz), Bliss (Jan A.P. Kaczmarek), Roseanna's grave (Trevor Jones), Ørnens øje (Søren Hyldgaard), The disappearance of Garcia Lorca (Mark McKenzie), Gattaca (Michael Nyman), Outlaws (Clint Bajakian).

Peter cuba
  2. I thought Wilde was a 1998 score? I really like Wilde. McKenzie's Garcia Lorca score is the only 1997 score that I really enjoy. There are others that are pretty good, but that one takes the cake for me. Unless Wilde is indeed a 1997 score. Then there are two! Of course, I don't have Starship Troopers yet, so apparently I need to get that.... shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2011
    christopher,

Wilde was first released in september '97 according to imdb-> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120514/releaseinfo

Anyway, keep in mind that Starship troopers is an action score. I don't often see you mention action, so I'm not sure whether you would like it. That said, I'm not much of an action fan myself, and I've totally fallen for Starship troopers, so it is certainly possible. It's so catchy, cool and fun.

Another '97 you could look into is Gunning's Firelight. I think this would be right up your alley.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FIRELIGHT is a gorgeous score, I'm a fan of Gunning's and I'm a bit embarassed that I didn't mention it in my post earlier.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Thank you, gentlemen. I'm glad to be aware of Firelight. I've never heard anything by Gunning. You seem to have a pretty good handle on my musical tastes, Peter. smile There aren't many scores in my top 50 favorites that have much action music in them. There are major exceptions to this, though, espcially when the action music is really fun and melodic. I love Cutthroat Island, Horner's Zorro scores, for instance, and lots of Powell's music, including his (and Zimmer's) recent Kung Fu Panda 2, which is almost wall-to-wall action music. I've heard enough praise for this one now that I think I need to get it. Either I'll enjoy it a lot, or I'll know what it is that everyone keeps talking about. Either way, I need to look into it.

Learning that Wilde is a 1997 score throws me into a bit of disequilibrium, but I've had a moment to accomodate this new information into my film music schema and can now declare it to be my favorite score of '97! (Piaget, anyone?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    christopher wrote
    Thank you, gentlemen. I'm glad to be aware of Firelight. I've never heard anything by Gunning.

If that is indeed that case then you have to pick up this brilliant compilation.

http://www.chandos.net/details06.asp?CN … AN%2010625

An essential album for any serious film music fan!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    christopher wrote
    Thank you, gentlemen. I'm glad to be aware of Firelight. I've never heard anything by Gunning.

If that is indeed that case then you have to pick up this brilliant compilation.

http://www.chandos.net/details06.asp?CN … AN%2010625

An essential album for any serious film music fan!

-Erik-

And seconded by me, it's one of the most played albums I bought this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2011
    Another vote comes from me
  4. Yeah, that one's been on my want list ever since people around here started singing its praises. I'll get that one first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011
    It is practically unanimous then
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2011
    Actually, I find navigating through this thread to be quite a task.
    One needs to click on each page just to see where one year's discussion ends & the next calendar year commences.

Why do members here prefer ALL years in a single thread instead of creating an individual thread for each year?

Can anyone post now about a year covered back on, say, page 27?
    And why must we wait for the initial poster to deposit 1998 & 1999 before we can chat about Y2K?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2011
    Because this thread is actually Alan's. It's his list. After he announces a favorite we then discuss the selection and what our our favourites are.

If you want to open up a thread with your own yearly favourites please do.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    Because this thread is actually Alan's. It's his list. After he announces a favorite we then discuss the selection and what our our favourites are.

If you want to open up a thread with your own yearly favourites please do.

-Erik-

It should be named a bit differently
  5. It does say "my favourites" and I started it. Seems self-explanatory.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    I appreciate the suggestion to create a different thread, but I decline at this time because there seems, here at MainTitles, to be unwritten rules of Internet etiquette that I'm not thoroughly familiar with.

If an initial poster is deemed the "owner" of that thread, why cannot another user contribute to it without being deemed a sort of hijacker?

It's not exactly self-explanatory why all other members wait for the thread starter's lead, as if we shouldn't speak until spoken to. (it is a general discussion, is it not?)

Perhaps another thread (about the finest scores in any year) in which members are free to post entries on their own timetables would be a good idea. However, in lieu of handy list of "do"s and "don't"s at MainTitles, I think I'll continue to observe the cliquish behaviors a while longer in order to familiarize myself with the 'culture', lest others might begin talking about me behind my back as someone who doesn't "get it". slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Things are neat and tidy around here unlike FSM. The board does suffer from ADD so threads do get hijacked all the time but we like the way things are done around here. But that doesn't mean you can't contribute or start new discussions. Just be aware that The Thread Police are watching your every step! wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It does say "my favourites" and I started it. Seems self-explanatory.

I never read that in the title of the thread before. I guess I was thinking more about your name being in the title.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Cobweb wrote
    I appreciate the suggestion to create a different thread, but I decline at this time because there seems, here at MainTitles, to be unwritten rules of Internet etiquette that I'm not thoroughly familiar with.

If an initial poster is deemed the "owner" of that thread, why cannot another user contribute to it without being deemed a sort of hijacker?

It's not exactly self-explanatory why all other members wait for the thread starter's lead, as if we shouldn't speak until spoken to. (it is a general discussion, is it not?)

Perhaps another thread (about the finest scores in any year) in which members are free to post entries on their own timetables would be a good idea. However, in lieu of handy list of "do"s and "don't"s at MainTitles, I think I'll continue to observe the cliquish behaviors a while longer in order to familiarize myself with the 'culture', lest others might begin talking about me behind my back as someone who doesn't "get it". slant

I think you're being a little too cautious. One of the things we don't do is create unnecessary threads. An example of this could be the following. The new Les Baxter release from Kritzerland would be discussed in a thread we've already started. We would not start a new thread for every new score release of his. So the new Raven release would appear http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … es-baxter/

We have very general threads such as What's Annoying You, What's Made Your Day A Little Better, two threads on What Your Listening To for soundtrack and non etc.

I for one certainly welcome you as far as the older material is concerned. As an example I'm listening to the fine score from Dark Passage that Waxman did with a little help from Steiner. Few that participate on this forum know much about the film. Do you remember the name of the famous song used in the film?

Hope this helps a little bit.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2011
    Cobweb wrote

I know what you mean. I didn't like the way things were sorted here when I first came here, and I remember making puzzled and critical remarks, like you , in the past. But over time I've come to find this much nicer than the chaos that is most other film score boards. It's a funny thing really, because the moderation here isn't really strict, but somehow this unique netiquette has arisen that everyone adheres to, and it works very well.

You'll get used to it.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    On the other hand certain things will not be tolerated ( and quite rightly so ) as demonstrated by the swift removal of a certain individual who was extremely racist a couple of years ago, thankfully these incidents are very rare.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Cobweb wrote

This is all news to me!
  6. 1998 - Godzilla - David Arnold

I am looking through the list of possible titles for 1998 and seeing all the other scores that are usually cited as favourite or "best of" scores and then I am looking at the extended list of scores that I prefer from this year. And then I look at my short-listed titles and it's Arnold's Godzilla that comes to the top of the pile in terms of overall enjoyment.

I am pretty sure that this is not going to be a particularly agreeable selection!

I am not trying to suggest that this one is the best on 1998 - people should know by now the reasons for the choices! - but right from the outset I find this one to be a rollercoaster of a listen. The expanded release for me really showed off Arnold's score at its best. The action cues are just so listenable and I am a sucker for adrenaline-fueled percussion. Godzilla's themes may not be as memorable as other Arnold scores (e.g., Independence Day) but, for me it gives me the more enjoyable listening experience.

It is the lesser scores that make it into my short-list for this year: particularly because the themes and individual tracks are such highlights. Themes from the likes of Eleni Karaindrou's Eternity and A Day (the "Eternity Theme"), several cues from Patrick Doyle's Great Expectations and parts of Trevor Jones' Merlin (heard in bite-sized chunks in the SONCINEMAD concert release) are just wonderful. And cues from Jeff Danna's Uncorked (with the Celtic-influenced instrumentation) are great toe-tappers.

I think that the Philip Glass/Burkhard Dallwitz score for The Truman Show rated highly the last time I did this list, with tracks such as "Underground/Storm" and "Raising The Sail" being particular standout tracks. Elliot Goldenthal's Sphere has some of my favourite cues from this composer. And William Goldstein's little-known score Miracle At Midnight - scored for a TV drama - is worth hunting out. The film itself is a bit of a stinker by all accounts but Goldstein's melodic score is certainly worth tracking down.

And a final mention must go to Danny Elfman and Steve Bartek's treatment of Bernard Herrmann's score for Gus Van Sant's ill-conceived remake of the Alfred Hitchcock masterpiece, Psycho. The recording in this score is an excellent version.
  7. And I am just looking at the list to choose from for 1999 - shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2011
    You picked The Matrix last time! I picked The Phantom Meance. But now... I'd go with The Matrix.

-Erik-