• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    You picked The Matrix last time! I picked The Phantom Meance. But now... I'd go with The Matrix.

-Erik-

To avoid confusion, you are referring to my 1999 choice from last time. And it will certainly feature again this time!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. MEET JOE BLACK is my favorite score from that year. That's T. Newman at his best. I also enjoy Zimmer's PRINCE OF EGYPT, and Horner had a couple standout scores that year, MASK OF ZORRO and DEEP IMPACT being at the top of the list for me. I also really enjoy Fenton's DANGEROUS BEAUTY. While it's sickeningly sacharine, I also enjoy Shaiman's PATCH ADAMS music, short though it may be on album.
  3. Cheers, Chriatopher, for the comments. Meet Joe Black has some great tracks. I remember emailing the BBC about some beautiful music they used in a programme of theirs. When they emailed me back it turned out that the piece was from Newman's score - I hae never come across the music until that point.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    You picked The Matrix last time! I picked The Phantom Meance. But now... I'd go with The Matrix.

-Erik-

To avoid confusion, you are referring to my 1999 choice from last time. And it will certainly feature again this time!

Yes, sorry, I pulled a Tom.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. To me the choice of 1998 is easy and I find it a bit weird and personally disappointing that nobody is mentioning it this year.

It is the heralded Hans Zimmer masterpiece that for me had even life-changing consequences. The Thin Red Line not only is my most emotional film score experience and my all-time favorite score, but it's also the score that ended up with me getting in contact with the composer which spanned from an interview to eventually meeting this great guy in person and visiting his recording session.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I should think THE THIN RED LINE will be right up there in my choices for this year, I'll have a proper look tomorrow.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2011 edited
    Horner's THE MASK OF ZORRO is my choice for 1998.

Followed by Zimmer's THE PRINCE OF EGYPT, Goldsmith's MULAN, Newman's THE HORSE WHISPERER, Broughton's LOST IN SPACE, Arnold's GODZILLA, Clinton's WILD THINGS, Jones' DARK CITY, McNeely's AVENGERS, Williams' SAVING PRIVATE RYAN and Yared's CITY OF ANGELS.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. I think it was you Erik that put me onto Clinton's Wild Things, and there are some enjoyable tracks on that one.

But sorry Pawel but I have never liked Zimmer's The Thin Red Line's meanderings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh-HO!
    A most bountiful year!

To me, the shortlist would contain Goran Bregovic's melancholic and heartfelt Ederlezi, Powell and Gregson-Williams fun for Antz, Arnold's inspired Godzilla, indeed, Goldsmith's excellent and fun Small Soldiers, Sam Cardon's epic work on the documentary Mysteries Of Egypt, and while on documentaries: the majestic, yet ethereal soundtrack to Everest, by Steve Wood and Daniel May is a very worthy contender as well, Bruno Coulais excellent adventure score Le Comte De Monte Cristo, with an honourable mention to George Fenton's Ever After.

But the top four contenders, in a VERY close contest indeed, would be Horner's passionate The Mask Of Zorro, Krzesimir Debski's thunderous and magnificent Conan (but not Conan) score Ogniem i Mieczem, Trevor Jones' superb Merlin, and Poledouris' exquisite Les Miserables.

No prizes for guessing which one edges out as my favourite. wink

Great year.
    GREAT year!
    punk

(DIShonourable mention this year to Charles Fox' HORRIBLE work on Conan: The TV series, by the way. angry )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Cobweb wrote
    However, in lieu of handy list of "do"s and "don't"s at MainTitles, I think I'll continue to observe the cliquish behaviors a while longer in order to familiarize myself with the 'culture', lest others might begin talking about me behind my back as someone who doesn't "get it". slant

biggrin

I fear you may be confusing MainTitles with Scientology...or North Korea. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Honorable mentions for 1998 for me: STEPMOM (John Williams), MULAN (Jerry Goldsmith), WHAT DREAMS MAY COME (Ennio Morricone - rejected), SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (John Williams), ARMAGEDDON (Trevor Rabin), A CIVIL ACTION (Danny Elfman), DARK CITY (Trevor Jones), KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE (Joe Hisaishi), LES MISERABLES (Basil Poledouris), THE MASK OF ZORRO (James Horner), THE PRINCE OF EGYPT (Hans Zimmer), GODZILLA (David Arnold), HARD RAIN (Christopher Young).

But the winner would be:

THE THIN RED LINE (Hans Zimmer)
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A lot of very good scores from this year, I really like GODZILLA ( much more my thing than ID4 which I don't like ) and I still get much enjoyment out of SPHERE, THE AVENGERS, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, THE THIN RED LINE, LOST IN SPACE and THE MASK OF ZORRO.

My top choice for this year hasn't been mentioned by anyone and will not come as any surprise to most of you...

PLAYING BY HEART - JOHN BARRY

I haven't seen the film and could care less but as an album this is a gorgeous late night listen and has now long been a favourite of mine.

My runner up score is Basil Poledouris LES MISERABLES and I make a special mention of Ennio Morricone's wonderful, rejected score for WHAT DREAMS MAY COME.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Cobweb wrote
    However, in lieu of handy list of "do"s and "don't"s at MainTitles, I think I'll continue to observe the cliquish behaviors a while longer in order to familiarize myself with the 'culture', lest others might begin talking about me behind my back as someone who doesn't "get it". slant

biggrin

I fear you may be confusing MainTitles with Scientology...or North Korea. wink

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    p.s. My choice of score for an up-coming 1999 is not from any cinema release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    and I still get much enjoyment out of SPHERE

Oh shit! I missed that one. Brilliant score to an underrated film!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Yes, sorry, I pulled a Tom.

Glad I'm not the only one smile

-Erik-
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Meet Joe Black is mighty fine!
  6. sdtom wrote
    Meet Joe Black is mighty fine!

you said it, going through a Thomas Newman phase right now, and hearing all of his scores, Meet Joe Black has all of his trademarks, but in the boldest sense of all. I adore it

I like the movie a lot too, but that's because it's brilliant music that carries it forward.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2011
    One could argue that if you were only going to have a single Newman score "Meet Joe Black" could be the one.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2011
    sdtom wrote
    One could argue that if you were only going to have a single Newman score "Meet Joe Black" could be the one.
    Tom

I would argue Tom, IMO it's nowhere near 'Shawshank' or 'Perdition'.
  7. I agree with Tom. If I could only have one T. Newman score it would be MEET JOE BLACK. My enjoyment of SHAWSHANK comes close, and while I've only heard ROAD TO PERDITION twice, it failed to register for me on the same emotional level as those other two scores. Or LITTLE WOMEN. Or about six other scores of his.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2012
    What do you others think?
    Tom
  8. Lemony Snicket would be the Thomas Newman I would choose, I think. It delivers enough of the Newman "quirkiness" that I would expect from this composer. But the score delivers on an emotional level that no other Newman score does. The music for the loss of the parents is heartbreaking - when they get the letter is very emotional...and that is largely down to Newman's music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I would argue both Angels In America and The Green Mile to be Newman must-haves.

Clearly there's sufficient diversity in his work for there to be different "best of" ideas to suit everyone. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I would argue both Angels In America and The Green Mile to be Newman must-haves.

Clearly there's sufficient diversity in his work for there to be different "best of" ideas to suit everyone. smile

I would definitely put those two near the very top of his output, both are superb scores.
  9. Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

I would argue Tom, IMO it's nowhere near 'Shawshank' or 'Perdition'.

either Meet Joe Black or Angels in America for me wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2012
    I think we can say that he has produced a lot of fine scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012
    1999 ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    vomit
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    vomit

Yeah, I hate that song too wink but I do love Prince, the man is a genius and one of the best guitar players ever. I expect most people here would only know his chart stuff but he is so much more than that.

Anyway, back on track and I was just hinting as to whether we can expect Alan's 1999 choices soon?