• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012
    I'm sure he's more, but not being a fan of songs I'll be happy never to discover that. smile

Anyway, you just reminded me that I hadn't even posted my '98 favourites yet. This year blows my mind, as it's like every big composer out there chose to have a masterpiece in that year. I tried to narrow it down, but a top18 was the best I could do:

1) What dreams may come (Morricone)
    2) Merlin (Jones)
    3) The prince of Egypt (Zimmer)
    4) Great expectations (Doyle)
    5) Antz (Powell & Gregson-Williams)
    6) Pleasantville (R.Newman)
    7) Les misérables (Poledouris)
    8) Mulan (Goldsmith)
    9) Dangerous beauty (Fenton)
    10) Dawson's Creek (Fields)
    11) Il quarto re (Morricone)
    12) The horse whisperer (T.Newman)
    13) Armageddon (Rabin)
    14) Saving Private Ryan (Williams)
    15) La vita e bella (Piovani)
    16) Meet Joe Black (T.Newman)
    17) Uncorked (J.Danna)
    18) Nattens engel (Hyldgaard)

Oh, and for a non-score mention A celtic romance (Danna bros) is absolutely wonderful.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The FSM version of this game is now up to 2003, so I already have my lists ready there for the next few years, but will paste them in here when Alan decides to continue.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The FSM version is very random and misses out many years, particularly 1940's, 50's and 70's.....in fact I'm confused as to what is and isn't there, it's a right mess.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    The FSM version is very random and misses out many years, particularly 1940's, 50's and 70's.....in fact I'm confused as to what is and isn't there, it's a right mess.

It is, especially because they're spread over a gazillion threads with different titles and stuff. This one's much neater, although it seems to have slowed down to a halt (for understandable reasons).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Stick with me, I will get the next year up in the next couple of days.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. 1999 - Titus - Elliot Goldenthal

This year has three scores that stand out for me - and they all in some ways are different to the "mainstream". Goldenthal's score is a monumental achievement in my eyes. He throws a whole series of musical styles at this film - and the all stick (probably because the film - which is brilliant - is so weird too). The score elicits the entire span of emotions in me: from pure love through to extreme dislike. I could spend ages going through the score as a whole, but the title track is an orchestral and choral powerhouse of a track that could be my favourite track of 1999. I am lucky enough to have the expanded 2-CD version of this: though I very rarely listen to the entire piece in one sitting.

The other two scores that are up with Titus this year is Don Davis' The Matrix (a brilliant, modern score) and Howard Shore's eXistenZ. I think I chose Shore's score as my choice last time (and listening to it at the moment I am in two minds whether to swap the Goldenthal for this!) eXistenZ is an amazing score to my ears and it leaves an impression that runs a lot deeper than the music itself would suggest that it should. But that's the quality of Shore's writing. Goodness, this is a hard choice.

This year really sees the beginning of Spanish music featuring in my collection. It was not collected at the time, but much later and these few Spanish scores have been amassed during my back-catalogue searches. Ángel Illarramendi's scores such as Cuando Vuelvas A Mi Lado and El Celo feature some great tracks and Carles Cases' Amic/Amat (with the classical baroque tone) is a highlight of the year (I remember hearing this at the first SONCINEMAD and wanting to track this down immediately when I got home.) A classical feel to Janusz Stoklosa's Wszyscy Moi Bliscy is what elevates this score above the majority of the others from this year.

Gabriel Yared's Message In A Bottle (the track "Where The Boundaries Are" is super) and Mychael Danna's Girl, Interrupted (another recent discovery) and Ride With The Devil are other highlights from this year.

A couple of scores from this year highlight how great the mystery clips contest we used to have was at introducing more obscure scores. Stephen Endelman's Jawbreaker and Joe Hisaishi's Kikujiro contain several stand-out tracks.

And videogame scores at last make a definite impression with Lennie Moore's excellent Outcast and Michael Giacchino's Medal of Honor. These orchestral scores (particularly Outcast) are of a quality that puts them alongside film scores in terms of how they sound and composition.

I am still wondering between Titus and eXistenZ...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2012
    I like your choices A LOT Alan ( besides a couple of obscurities that I don't know at all ), 1999 was a very good year, just for the record I go for eXistenZ over Titus though neither of these is my # 1, I'll be back tomorrow for that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    TITUS is indeed a good pick, Alan! You would have loved Goldenthal's live performance of this score in Ghent in 2010 and 2011. Goosebumps galore!

1999 was quite a strong year, as mirrored in the picks below.

For me, the honorable mentions would be SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS (James Newton Howard), STAR WARS: THE PHANTOM MENACE (John Williams), ANGELA'S ASHES (John Williams), TITUS (Elliot Goldenthal) 13TH WARRIOR (Jerry Goldsmith), AMERICAN BEAUTY (Thomas Newman), FIGHT CLUB (Dust Bros.), THE GREEN MILE (Thomas Newman), IN DREAMS (Elliot Goldenthal), THE MATRIX (Don Davis), SLEEPY HOLLOW (Danny Elfman), TARZAN (Mark Mancina) and ANNA AND THE KING (George Fenton).

But ultimately, I would have to pick what is probably my alltime favourite Goldsmith score, especially on album:

THE MUMMY (Jerry Goldsmith)

...and that stands even now that my taste has veered away from this kind of action adventure scoring. That says a lot.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Snow Falling On Cedars is one that I forgot about, though it would not have featured on my list. "Tarawa" is an excellent track, but I very rarely see any other cue being mentioned when the score is discussed (in general, not only here). And what annoys me in particular with this score is that (to my ears anyway) it seems to be mixed much quieter than the majority of other CDs.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2012 edited
    It IS very quietly mixed and the wonderful 'Tarawa' sounds murky, I like the album a lot but it does owe a BIG favour to composer Arvo Part....BIG TIME!
  4. As usual, there are a few titles listed in Thor's selection (the "as usual" NOT directed specifically to Thor's list!) that I have not heard: Angela's Ashes, Fight Club and The Green Mile.
  5. I am surprised that no-one is pressuring me for my 2000 selection yet! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I just spent some time listening to OUTCAST for the first time due to your list, much thanks Alan, I REALLY liked it, excellent stuff!

...and also something called STORM PEAKS which I also found very impressive, any more info on that?
  6. Timmer wrote
    I just spent some time listening to OUTCAST for the first time due to your list, much thanks Alan, I REALLY liked it, excellent stuff!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I think I chose Shore's score as my choice last time

You actually picked The Matrix. I remember arguing with you about that score and The Phantom Menace.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. Did I!! My memory must be going. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Not sure about Titus. It does have some awesome moments, but others just want me to cut my ears off and bury them. 1999 was another awesome year though. My top10:

1) La leggenda del pianista sull'oceano (Ennio Morricone)
    2) The mummy (Jerry Goldsmith)
    3) Ogniem i mieczem (Krzesimir Debski)
    4) I guardiani del cielo (Ennio Morricone)
    5) Liberty heights (Andrea Morricone)
    6) Cleopatra (Trevor Jones)
    7) Pan tadeusz (Wojciech Kilar)
    8) The 13th warrior (Jerry Goldsmith)
    9) The ninth gate (Wojciech Kilar)
    10) Cider house rules (Rachel Portman)

Other goodies that year: Medal of honor (Michael Giacchino), Durango (Mark McKenzie), Himalaya (Bruno Coulais), Animal farm (Richard Harvey), Kimberly (Basil Poledouris), Gloomy sunday (Detlev Friedrich Petersen), For love of the game (Basil Poledouris), Anna and the king (George Fenton), Aristocrats (Mark Thomas), Nanà (Ennio Morricone), The straight story (Angelo Badalamenti) and a nonscore; Dawn of the new century (Secret Garden).

Life is good.

Peter punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There doesn't seem to be much love for John Williams STAR WARS : THE PHANTOM MENACE? Surely the best score of the whole "space fight" trilogy.

Anyway, this was a tough year IMO, and such a darned good year for film music, particularly from Williams, Morricone, Goldsmith, Davis, Newman, Shore, Goldenthal & Fenton.

For me though, the best score this year wasn't to a film but to a TV series...

WALKING WITH DINOSAURS by Benjamin Bartlett

Fantastic in scope, moving, dramatic and full of great melody, this beats everything else and as a bonus there's no cheesy apocalyptic choirs.

For me the closest runners up are Wojciech Kilar's THE NINTH GATE and PAN TADEUSZ, and Bruno Coulais HIMALAYA.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    There doesn't seem to be much love for John Williams STAR WARS : THE PHANTOM MENACE? Surely the best score of the whole "space fight" trilogy.

It's my third favourite of the year!
    I am extremely serious.
  8. DURANGO is my pick for 1999. It's still my favorite McKenzie score. I also really enjoy the Cider House Rules and Angela's Ashes. Wasn't Doyles' EAST-WEST from '99? If so I'll throw that in there, too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2012
    Any plans for your 2000 choice Alan?
  9. Timmer wrote
    Any plans for your 2000 choice Alan?

I will have something soon...
  10. 2000 - The Yards - Howard Shore

If a favourite score can be classified as one that presses the right emotional buttons then Howard Shore's score for The Yards is a favourite score. Although I can't say that the entire album is of the same quality all the way through, when it does hit those highs...goodness, it delivers in spades. The theme heard in tracks "Hilltop Diner" and "Willie's Tears" always brings tears to my eyes. I don't know what it is precisely. Maybe it's just the theme itself, but it such a beautiful, delicate and very sad piece of music that just touches me very much indeed. And this is not a "one theme score" - "Money Clip" is a good example of another great theme.

Howard Shore delivered also with his score to The Cell. "Tide Pool" is an awesome track for a mesmerising film sequence. A very eclectic mix of music on this one and on another day this could have gotten my vote.

Other scores worthy of note from 2000 include Andes To Amazon (Nicholas Hooper), Supernova (just the David Williams score!), the dramatic Godzilla vs Megaguirus (Michiru Oshima), Masamichi Amano's excellent The Aurora and a couple of Spanish titles: El Arte de Morir (Bingen Mendizábal) and El Otro Barrio (Pascal Gaigne) that make great use of strings and piano, respectively.

Scores that have some great themes include Marco Beltrami's Highway 395, Shirley Walker's Final Destination, Wojciech Kilar's The Ninth Gate, Christopher Gordon's On The Beach and Clint Mansell's Requiem For A Dream (for tracks such as "Southern Hospitality" as well as the well-used "Lux Aeterna").

I don't seem to have featured many of the "blockbuster" titles this year!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012
    And I've yet to listen to it. sad
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hmmmm?

This year is a three way tie between Horner's THE PERFECT STORM, JNH's VERTICAL LIMIT and Kilar's THE NINTH GATE simply because I play all three of those regularly and they're great scores!

I see GLADIATOR was also from this year but I've never much cared for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Crikey! shocked

You're skipping a LOT of crowd favourites there, Alan (although I'm really pleased to see my own personal number two choice of that year, the absolutely gorgeous Andes To Amazon in your list).

I would certainly add Bregovic' powerfully bittersweet Balkan love song to the Romanian gypsy culture Czas Cyganow I Kudiz in there (even though he recycles his own track Ederlezi yet again!).

Also Williams lovely (and in my opinion greatly and unjustly underrated) Patriot, Rabin's thunderous, mega-electric and energising Gone In 60 Seconds on the excellent Varese representation, Morricone wistful Mission To Mars (a great personal favourite in its almost eery sadness), Beltrami wonderful neo-gothic stylings on Dracula 2000 (great score!), Zimmer's magnum opus Gladiator (!!!), Newton Howard's absolutely magnificent Dinosaur (another score I should revisit soon! It is just so very enjoyable!), and Young's ever so sweetly nostalgic and lovely The Wonder Boys.

But for me, as in previous incarnatios of this thread, the number one spot remains well and truly reserved for that mother of all feel-good scores, the absolutely gobsmackingly brilliant and excellent Chicken Run!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012 edited
    Oh, good call on ANDES TO AMAZON, that's a great TV/docu score, love it!

...and MISSION TO MARS? I love MISSION TO MARS! How the fook did I forget MISSION TO MARS? shame

edit: I see Alan did mention the Nicholas Hooper score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    edit: I see Alan did mention the Nicholas Hooper score.

I mentioned he mentioned Andes To Amazon. cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...I need new glasses dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin