• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012 edited
    Here's one that none of you mentioned and I think it's Joel McNeely's finest score! Lover's Prayer. You can here excerpts from Varese's fantastic album at http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1818

EDIT - Lover's Prayer is a 2001 film so in it's place I will select On The Beach by Christopher Gordon!

My other favourites that year were Dinosaur (James Newton Howard), Gladiator (Hans Zimmer), The Perfect Storm (James Horner) Medal of Honor: Underground (Michael Giacchino), Into The Arms of Strangers (Lee Holdridge), Journey of Man (Benoit Jutras), Titan A.E. (Graeme Revell), My Dog Skip (William Ross), Stuart Little (Alan Silvestri), Heavy Metal 2000 (Frederic Talgorn), Solarmax (Nigel Westlake), An Everlasting Piece (Hans Zimmer), and Chicken Run (John Powell and Harry Gregson-Williams).

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012
    I've not heard LOVERS PRAYER and will give it a listen later.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. 2000 is a bit of funny year where a strong emotional tie with Shore's music just puts it way above the rest.

The link to The Yards is nothing specific, but the music seems to resonate with some emotional states I sometimes feel.

It all sounds a biy wishy-washy but it does best explain my thoughts on this score.

And with such a strong emotional tie to the music, free of the imagery of the film I am always in two minds whether to watch the film.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012
    A year with many interesting scores, several of which would pave the way for new 'sounds' in film music (GLADIATOR, REQUIEM).

My honourable mentions would be THE FAMILY MAN (Danny Elfman) TRAFFIC (Cliff Martinez), RED PLANET (Graeme Revell plus songs), REQUIEM FOR A DREAM (Clint Mansell), THE SIXTH DAY (Trevor Rabin), THE CELL (Howard Shore), CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON (Tan Dun), DINOSAUR (James Newton Howard), MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 2 (Hans Zimmer), THE PATRIOT (John Williams), SHAFT (David Arnold), ON THE BEACH (Christopher Gordon) and U-571 (Richard Marvin).

But there's no beating...

GLADIATOR (Hans Zimmer)
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    2000 - The Yards - Howard Shore

If a favourite score can be classified as one that presses the right emotional buttons then Howard Shore's score for The Yards is a favourite score. Although I can't say that the entire album is of the same quality all the way through, when it does hit those highs...goodness, it delivers in spades. The theme heard in tracks "Hilltop Diner" and "Willie's Tears" always brings tears to my eyes. I don't know what it is precisely. Maybe it's just the theme itself, but it such a beautiful, delicate and very sad piece of music that just touches me very much indeed. And this is not a "one theme score" - "Money Clip" is a good example of another great theme.

Howard Shore delivered also with his score to The Cell. "Tide Pool" is an awesome track for a mesmerising film sequence. A very eclectic mix of music on this one and on another day this could have gotten my vote.

Other scores worthy of note from 2000 include Andes To Amazon (Nicholas Hooper), Supernova (just the David Williams score!), the dramatic Godzilla vs Megaguirus (Michiru Oshima), Masamichi Amano's excellent The Aurora and a couple of Spanish titles: El Arte de Morir (Bingen Mendizábal) and El Otro Barrio (Pascal Gaigne) that make great use of strings and piano, respectively.

Scores that have some great themes include Marco Beltrami's Highway 395, Shirley Walker's Final Destination, Wojciech Kilar's The Ninth Gate, Christopher Gordon's On The Beach and Clint Mansell's Requiem For A Dream (for tracks such as "Southern Hospitality" as well as the well-used "Lux Aeterna").

I don't seem to have featured many of the "blockbuster" titles this year!

Love it! So emotional and beautiful....
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2012
    uhm
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. 2001 - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Howard Shore

Of all the 3 scores this is the one that I prefer. It somehow doesn't feel so "dense" compared with the others and I think that that has a lot to do with the higher proportion of Shire music, with its simpler orchestrations (relatively speaking). In this way I feel that this score echoes Williams' score for Star Wars. I like the way that the themes are introduced to us, like the simpler story arc (reflected in the score) - the majority of the themes are just great themes.

I still remember the first time I listened to this score and being disappointed by what I had heard. It sounded a lot different to the music Shore had composed before. I am sure that I was familiar with Looking For Richard but I was expecting (hoping for?) something nearer his Cronenberg scores. And so this score was not an immediate winner for me. But as time progressed and I better understood the ideas behind the score it as grown to be the score of the trilogy I return to most.

Howard Shore delivered The Score in 2001 as well, and this is another strong contender for this year. I just love the jazzy rhythms in this and I find that many of the tracks stand up remarkably well as stand-alone listens. Other strong scores for this year include Christopher Young's The Shipping News with its Celtic influences and a main theme that always reduces me to tears, Don Davis' The Unsaid featuring a very emotional and sensitive, piano-led title theme (very different from his Matrix scores!) and Elliot Goldenthal's epic Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, full of full-on orchestral power, catchy rhythmic cues and delicate themes. Danny Elfman's Planet of the Apes is another favourite of mine (I like percussion and this delivers in spades).

A few others worthy of mention from 2001: I love Jeff Danna's unreleased score for Reversal with it's small-scale ensemble that is tinged with a sort of southern Americana (to my ears anyway) and Yann Tiersen's Amélie is another catchy score that's a nice change from full-on orchestral scoring. Finally a mention for Masamichi Amano's Battle Royale. I'll forgive the Kilar/Dracula influences (because I like that score too) but there's much more to this score. I find it quite classical in style and it's unusual for me to like too much scores that have classical music influences.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012
    2001 was a really strong year. Your pick is hard to argue with, but there is one score I feel is even stronger for a film that is very underrated (see below).

Honourable mentions would be LORD OF THE RINGS: FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING (Howard Shore), FINAL FANTASY: THE SPIRITS WITHIN (Elliot Goldenthal), THE MUMMY RETURNS (Alan Silvestri), HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE (John Williams), AMELIE (Yann Tiersen), BLACK HAWK DOWN (Hans Zimmer), JURASSIC PARK III (Don Davis), LAGAAN (A.R. Rahman), PLANET OF THE APES (Danny Elfman), THE SHIPPING NEWS (Christopher Young), SPIRITED AWAY (Joe Hisaishi), SWORDFISH (Paul Oakenfold/Christopher Young), LOVER'S PRAYER (Joel McNeely).

But the winner for me is:

A.I. - ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE (John Williams)
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I saw your choice over at the FSM messageboard and this prompted me to post (ahead of gentle prods from Tom or Tim!).

A.I. - Artificial Intelligence is a score that I don't really like that much. The dramatic "Abandoned In The Woods" and "The Moon Rising" along with the rhythms of "The Mecha World" are the tracks I only revisit from this score. I don't really like the film much and so the emotional connection isn't really there.
  4. I thought you of all people would actually prefer Hannibal to Black Hawk Down, Thor!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I thought you of all people would actually prefer Hannibal to Black Hawk Down, Thor!

I haven't really listened to HANNIBAL much and it's been ages since I saw the film. But maybe once I familiarize myself with it, it'll join the contenders.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I saw your choice over at the FSM messageboard and this prompted me to post (ahead of gentle prods from Tom or Tim!).

A.I. - Artificial Intelligence is a score that I don't really like that much. The dramatic "Abandoned In The Woods" and "The Moon Rising" along with the rhythms of "The Mecha World" are the tracks I only revisit from this score. I don't really like the film much and so the emotional connection isn't really there.

That's fair. We all connect to things differently.

I just think it's so powerful -- both in the film and outside. It's stark and bleak on the one hand, but also extremely introvert and spiritual on the other. Pervaded with a sense of melancholy. When you reach the lowest note of the David theme, I'm gutted every time.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I think that, for me, the music for A.I. isn't helped by the film. There's a few scores that I have warmed to after having seen the film and there are films that I have appreciated more after having listened to the music away from the film, but I don't get any of that with this. I tend to be left feeling unmoved by a lot of Williams' more recent works and so there's not much chance being given by me from any quarter!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012 edited
    When I did my Best Scores of the New Millennium program 6 scores from 2001 made the list (including honorable mentions.)

Conrad Pope's fairly unknown score to PAVILION OF WOMEN is my choice for 2001 followed by Fellowship of the Ring (Shore), Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (Goldenthal), A.I. (Williams), The Mummy Returns (Silvestri), and Lover's Prayer (McNeely). I also adore The Shipping News (Young).

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Erik, didn't you mention Lover's Prayer for last year too? (see top of this page)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Dammit... I did! Lover's Prayer is a 2001 picture. I'll have to make a new choice for 2000.

-Erik-
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Dammit... I did! Lover's Prayer is a 2001 picture. I'll have to make a new choice for 2000.

-Erik-

Thanks for clearing that up Erik! On The Beach is one that, for me, stands out for the dramatic theme (related to the sub?) that's heard only a couple of times in the score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll decide tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Very difficult to choose a favourite. I took me a while to appreciate LOTR like I do now, I don't know why. I'd go for Final Fantasy, with its fantastic love theme, or LOTR. AI is a beautiful score but it doesn't really move me, except for perhaps the Dreams-theme, so I'm a bit on Alan's side with this one.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

THE LOVER'S PRAYER is such a lovely score, it should be mentioned twice! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  8. FELLOWSHIP is my favorite score from 2001 also. But I do want to give a shout-out to Mark Isham's LIFE AS A HOUSE, which is a very strong score from start to finish with some really lovely moments.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012 edited
    A very good year and quite honestly I don't think Alan's choice can be beaten so it's Howard Shore's THE LORD OF THE RINGS : THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING for me too.

Other favourites from this year include A.I., A BEAUTIFUL MIND, THE SHIPPING NEWS, FINAL FANTASY, BATTLE ROYALE, ATLANTIS THE LOST EMPIRE, two from Hans Zimmer with BLACK HAWK DOWN, HANNIBAL and a special mention for John Barry who wrote his last ever film score with ENIGMA, maybe nowhere near his best but still a very good score.

A special mention for Benjamin Bartlett's WALKING WITH BEASTS, TV scoring at it's very best and one of the most played CD's I own, probably far more so than any of the mentions above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2012
    For 2001, Shore's LOTR and Gunning's Wild Africa are tied for first place. They are both so sublime I don't want to make the choice between them. The mists of Avalon (Holdridge) and Band of brothers (Kamen) are also favourites from this year.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    WILD AFRICA is BRILLIANT! I still put it slightly behind LOTR:TFOTR and Walking With Beasts.

Nice to be reminded though, looking on Wiki etc doesn't remind you of these things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Yes, I thought I remember you mentioning before that you like Wild Africa, Tim,

Sounds like I need to check out that Walking with beasts thing. If something is up there with LOTR and Wild Africa, it's my destiny to have it.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I see that on Amazon it's going for silly money ( £45-£55 ) rolleyes

it's brilliant and also includes music from Big Al ( a BBC short about the life and death of an Allosaurus ) and a selection from the earlier series Walking With Dinosaurs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Alan made the obvious choice.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And quite rightly so IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2012
    It was really the obvious choice and it isn't one of my favorites.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2012
    Do you actually have a favourite from 2001 Tom? You haven't mentioned anything.