• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2010
    Posted: Apr 9, 2010 - 3:21 PM
    By: mtodd (Member)

The download was pulled while the release of the physical CD/third party sellers/ etc. are being negotiated. C'est la industrie musicale.

I can tell you that instead of making cuts to the CD we are likely to have an 82+ minute CD, so get your players ready for that!

This was the response given from the other person who seems to know about the release.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Thanks for the information, Tom. Interesting.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. sdtom wrote
    Casablanca went into the 1944 year for the Oscars...

I was reading up on this earlier and saw a trivia nugget from someone suggesting that Steiner "borrowed" his theme for The Lost Patrol for use in Casablanca.

Listening to The Lost Patrol now and there might be more than a passing resemblance!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Timmer wrote
    Well done for showing the following years choices after each of Alan's selections Tom. cool

Just echoing Tim's positive thoughts on your lists, Tom.
  4. 1942 - Kings Row - Erich Wolfgang Korngold

I'm wondering if Tom's comment that Kings Row didn't even make the nominations list was hinting at my likely selection for this year! Listening again to the symphonic suite that's available from Varese(?) I think that it's the thematic material (and it's use throughout the score) is what clinches it for me.

It has elements of a "soap opera-ish" (melodramatic?) type of a score in places but when the thematic material is so memorable then that doesn't really matter. And for these early scores that I've not seen, it's the tunes that attract me and differentiate the favourites. BTW, I've not heard the FSM release of the original tracks: the suite format just does me fine.

I believe that Rozsa's Jungle Book might feature in the forthcoming discussions and so I had a listen to both the Rozsa-conducted suite and the original tracks and although, like one of Rozsa's earlier scores that didn't make my list (The Thief of Bagdad), there's hints of the Rozsa style I prefer, Jungle Book just doesn't hold my attention much.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2010
    rolleyes <--Martijn biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    rolleyes <--Martijn biggrin wink

Darn tootin'. angry

rolleyes rolleyes Another frigging Korngold. rolleyes rolleyes
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    For someone who openly said Korngold wasn't a favorite composer you've given him 2??? Maybe you should re-evaluate your position.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No no, let the man come to his senses. biggrin
  5. sdtom wrote
    For someone who openly said Korngold wasn't a favorite composer you've given him 2??? Maybe you should re-evaluate your position.
    Thomas

Admittedly, it may seen strange. But not being a favourite composer doesn't mean that I can't choose a score by said composer. Also factored into the decision is what other scores I've heard that year and also what was actually around in that year.

I'd also say that Max Steiner is not what I'd call a favourite composer (even less of a favourite than Korngold) but he's also featured. But when listed together in a long list (with all years clubbed together) Steiner and Korngold will come way down my list.

I hope that helps explain my (inexplicable to some?) choices!! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    What I see more and more on your list Alan is the classical interest you have. Bliss, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Korngold are symphony hall composers.
  6. sdtom wrote
    What I see more and more on your list Alan is the classical interest you have. Bliss, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Korngold are symphony hall composers.

I hadn't thought of it that way, Tom.

My usual response to classical-sounding scores is usually quite subdued so I think that my choice of these composers is more to do with the fact that they are the major composers of film rather than my attraction to any classical-sounding influences.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    1943 - For Whom The Bell Tolls - Victor Young

I've only recently heard more than the 8-minute suite on the Koch "A Tribute To Victor Young" CD but I'm now so pleased that I hunted some actual tracks down because this is a beautiful score. Dramatic from the outset (I really like the tolling bell that's included in both the OST and the re-recorded suite), the Spanish-influenced pieces (some lovely acoustic guitar integrated with the orchestra), the solemnity in tracks such as "Politics In The Cave"...there's so much to enjoy. And a clear winner compared with my previous choice The Song of Bernadette (I hadn't heard much of For Whom The Bell Tolls at that time).

I even enjoy the song associated with the film, "A Love Like This".

A score that I'd love to see in an expanded form (original or re-recording).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'd be verrrrry interested to learn where you have found those tracks!!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
    Martijn wrote
    I'd be verrrrry interested to learn where you have found those tracks!!

Aren't they freely available? There was a CD came out back in the early 90s - Stanyan Records STZ 112-2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2010
    Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture

Winner:
    The Song of Bernadette (1943) - Alfred Newman

Other Nominees:
    Casablanca (1942) - Max Steiner (I)
    Commandos Strike at Dawn (1942) - Louis Gruenberg; Morris Stoloff
    For Whom the Bell Tolls (1943) - Victor Young (I)
    Hangmen Also Die! (1943) - Hanns Eisler
    Hi Diddle Diddle (1943) - Phil Boutelje
    In Old Oklahoma (1943) - Walter Scharf
    Johnny Come Lately (1943) - Leigh Harline
    Lady of Burlesque (1943) - Arthur Lange
    Madame Curie (1943) - Herbert Stothart
    The Amazing Mrs. Holliday (1943) - Hans J. Salter; Frank Skinner (I)
    The Fallen Sparrow (1943) - C. Bakaleinikoff; Roy Webb (I)
    The Kansan (1943) - Gerard Carbonara
    The Moon and Sixpence (1942) - Dimitri Tiomkin
    The North Star (1943) - Aaron Copland
    Victory Through Air Power (1943) - Edward H. Plumb; Paul J. Smith (III); Oliver Wallace

A little late, sorry.
    Thomas
    •  
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2010 edited
    Cheers, Tom. Nice to see the contenders. One thing that does strike me looking at the lists your posting is how so many of them are obscure titles (at least to me, I'm not sure how many of them you are familiar with). Lots of titles ripe for re-recording?

And not trying to pre-empt your next set of contenders, but I was surprised to see that there's not much available on the winner of next year's Oscar; Steiner's Since You Went Away. All I can see is an 8-minute suite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture

Winner:
    Since You Went Away (1944) - Max Steiner (I)

Other Nominees:
    Address Unknown (1944) - Morris Stoloff; Ernst Toch
    Casanova Brown (1944) - Arthur Lange
    Christmas Holiday (1944) - Hans J. Salter
    Double Indemnity (1944) - Miklós Rózsa
    It Happened Tomorrow (1944) - Robert Stolz
    Jack London (1943) - Freddie Rich
    Kismet (1944) - Herbert Stothart
    None But the Lonely Heart (1944) - C. Bakaleinikoff; Hanns Eisler
    Summer Storm (1944) - Karl Hajos
    The Adventures of Mark Twain (1944) - Max Steiner (I)
    The Bridge of San Luis Rey (1944) - Dimitri Tiomkin
    The Fighting Seabees (1944) - Walter Scharf; Roy Webb (I)
    The Hairy Ape (1944) - Michel Michelet; Edward Paul (II)
    The Princess and the Pirate (1944) - David Rose (I)
    The Woman of the Town (1943) - Miklós Rózsa
    Three Russian Girls (1943) - W. Franke Harling
    Up in Mabel's Room (1944) - Edward Paul (II)
    Voice in the Wind (1944) - Michel Michelet
    Wilson (1944) - Alfred Newman

This is the next year for you to ponder.
    Thomas
  7. Too slow for me to pre-empt you, Tom!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Perhaps it is time to re-release For Whom The Bells Toll. I too have the Stanyan release.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'll have a listen to the nominee for 1943, which I'm unfamiliar with, but I am quite clear on which on I like from 1944! lick
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    As a romantic at heart I'd choose Casablanca for 43. My choice for 44 is Double Indemnity, great score and superb film too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The North Star from Copland is certainly one worth exploring. Casablanca like Tim commented is my sentimental favorite also although anyone who chose Song of Bernadette or For Whom The Bells Toll has no objection from me. The next year I'm pondering a little bit.
    Thomas
  8. 1944 - Double Indemnity - Miklos Rozsa

I'm surprised by my selection - but more on that in a moment.

Rozsa's first entry into this list is pure film noir, starting off with that ominous, pondering main theme on brass that really doesn't give the protagonists a hope in coming out of the movie well! It all sounds very Rozsa.

There's a very full-on love theme and a catchy and restless "theme" that features in the suite of tracks I've heard that gives a variety that emphasises the film noir-ish parts of the score.

It's definitely a very psychological score rather than an action-laden piece and maybe even heralds the arrival of the film noir score in Hollywood?

And my surprise? For ages my favourite score for 1944 was Raksin's Laura. But listening again to the "Theme and Variations" suite it dawned on me that I like the theme, and the score is - as the suite title suggests - mostly the theme for Laura presented in a myriad of variations. Rozsa's score has a lot more depth (on the basis of what I've been listening to.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sad
    Wrong again, Alan!

wink

I could never get into Double Indemnity.

My favourite from 1944 is Steiner's warm, accessible score to The Adventures Of Mark Twain.

With a clear southern American twang (and borrowing in style not a little from Dvorak), this is a wonderful and very mellow score that features multiple themes and some of the most lyrical beauty Steiner has ever composed (without the more hectic drama from his mroe action-oriented scores, like King Kong).

The Stromberg rerecording on Naxos does the score great justice, and gets a big thumbs-up from me. In fact, it's such a fun, laid back and enjoyable score that I'd happily recommend it as an easy entry for novices into the music of the Golden Age.

You know, the biggest fun of this topic is that I am triggered to revisit scores I haven't listened to for yonks.
    I have a whole Deutsch compilation CD I should definitely give another listen to soon.
    But for now, revisiting Steiner does me very nicely!
  9. I listened to the clips for The Adventures of Mark Twain yesterday and didn't like them at all. I don't warm well to the "American(a) twang" I heard.

I'm also revisiting titles I've not listened to in ages, as well as discovering new ones from the recommendations of others and from Tom's lists.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I listened to the clips for The Adventures of Mark Twain yesterday and didn't like them at all. I don't warm well to the "American(a) twang" I heard.

I don't know how much justice the clips do it, but the score has a great flow to it that maybe isn't captured through sucha medium?

Anyway, our choices just overlap in 50% of cases, so I'm not surprised here too we find a parting of the ways. smile
  10. Martijn wrote
    I don't know how much justice the clips do it, but the score has a great flow to it that maybe isn't captured through sucha medium?

To be honest, if the style of the music doesn't get my interest then it doesn't matter how it all "flows". That suggests to me that all the components of the score coming together to make a worthwhile listening experience. From what I've heard of this particular score (and in a lot of Steiner's work in general) it's the component parts that I can't get in to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010
    Oh! So judgmental! What did that poor score ever do to you? sad

wink
    •  
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010 edited
    I wonder if we'll agree for 1945? A choice from 3 scores, 2 composers.