• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010
    Perhaps this week
    listen to more classical music!
  1. 1974 - The Towering Inferno - John Williams

I've gone for a pretty "safe" choice for 1974 - probably because it's the film I am most familiar with. The score is bookended by two great tracks: the initial Main Title track and the final action track. And the music's association with the action is I think what swayed it for me this time. It's not much of a score that stuck in the mind when viewed but listening to it away from the film and then going back to hearing it in the movie showed how well Williams did with this score (and to some extent with Earthquake also). And there's quite a good "pop song" as well!

1974 is packed full of great themes from both film and TV and each could have been picked for a theme only-based list (and may be featured in the future in any such list). TV themes such as those for Moses The Lawgiver (Morricone), javascript:void(0); (Post) and The Six Million Dollar Man (Nelson) all deserve a mention as quality themes and are themes that begin to shape my childhood as I was growing up, looking forward to hearing the theme again this week just as much as looking forward to the actual show.

There were plenty of film themes that would be excellent tracks in any 1974 compilation list: the lyrical theme for Michael J. Lewis' 11 Harrowhouse, Henry Mancini's rhythmic theme for 99 and 44/100% Dead! is a recent discovery that's really catchy (though I've not really lasted with the score itself), Herbie Hancock's theme to Death Wish (which featured on the Geoff Love compilation is mention occasionally and which introduced me to this theme), Williams' theme for Earthquake (on the same Love compilation LP), David Shire's simply-played theme to The Conversation (a film I've not seen all the way through) and David Shire's glorious theme for The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 (my choice for score of 1974 last time, but really just a very favourite theme). All great themes but with only okay scores (to me anyway).

Scores such as Rozsa's The Golden Voyage of Sinbad and Gershon Kingsley's Silent Night, Bloody Night (with it's off-kilter references to Silent Night, Holy Night) as well as Charles Bernstein's score to Mr Majestky (I was a big fan of Charles Bronson when I was growing up) are worth mentioning in dispatches as notable works. As are these scores for the more "foreign-inclined" followers: I like the ostinato-drived (harpsicord) scoring of Stelvio Cipriani's Cani Arrabbiati as well as Armando Trovaiola's Profumo di Donna (several strong keyboard-led tracks).

As I may have mentioned before, as the years progress it's getting more and more difficult to choose a score - unless it's an obvious choice. The several scores I felt I needed to mention here is a good sign of how difficult the choice was.

And sorry Martijn for not mentioning Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2010
    Well, fair enough. Captain Kronos' theme is magnificent....but there's not much more to the score.
    (And I like the film a lot, obviously.) Thanks for the nod to Rozsa's Golden Voyage Of SInbad (a fine, fine film, with a rather OK -but not iconic- Rozsa score).

I should be looking into this Cipriani fellow...harpsichord? lick
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2010
    I AM IN SHOCK BEYOND BELIEF!!!!. Jerry turn over in your grave. You should. I realize that this is Alan's thread so I can really say nothing to him but Martijn is another story. Not one mention of Chinatown!!!! The only reason I keep Towering Inferno is that it has some value to it. And while we're on the subject how about Murder on the Orient Express by Bennett.
    Thomas
  2. I've missed producing this sort of reaction in people!

I've never really seen what all the fuss is about with Goldsmith's Chinatown - and I'd put it in the same "I don't get it" bucket as Papillon and Legend.

As for Murder On The Orient Express, every time I try to listen to the clips available (again) I (again again) don't like them.

Roll on 1975 and hopefully a clearer cut choice (at least on my part).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As I said Alan it is your thread. I feel the same way about Towering Inferno. We agree to disagree.
    Tom smile

You pushed the button.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    I love Jerry Goldsmith as you guys know but Chinatown didn't do much for me either.
    Sorry Tom, however Murder on the Orient Express is real good.
    I might have to go with Williams Towering Inferno as well , has some great themes , the main title and Architect's Dream do it for me.

you can take that look off of your face now Tom wink
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2010 edited
    Now if we want to put Goldsmiths QB VII in the mix my vote goes there, but its a tv mini series.

So Ill pick Jerry Goldsmiths QB VII , I love messing things up smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah
    I wouldn't even argue with that one.
    As far as Jerry for 1974 goes, QB VII would be my pick as well.

However.
    HOWEVER.
    Upon checking my own not unsizeable database for 1974, I too am calling Alan to task.
    LALO SCHIFRIN'S THE FOUR MUSKETEERS!
    One of the finest things Schifrin ever did. Filled with massive themes, thoroughly melodious and one of the most fun scores ever! Such an exuberant and clever score throughout it should at least have gotten a mention!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. I've not heard QB VII or The Four Musketeers so I could not possibly comment on these.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    QB VII would also be my choice. Strange though that this year doesn't have any scores that really blows me away. I love the theme to Chinatown, but for some reason I've never connected to the rest of the score.

Several scores were mentioned that I'll have to check out. Yippie!

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The only version of Chinatown I listen to is the theme in his suite from his 'Goldsmith conducts Goldsmith' concert. I too can't get into the rest of the score... it's very boring.

Papillon is the same, but I do enjoy the theme more than Chinatown's. Legend? I love every note of it. Except the singing.
  4. Question: what are the chances that Legend will feature in this list in the year of the film's release?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Question: what are the chances that Legend will feature in this list in the year of the film's release?

confused , didn't you write:
    I've never really seen what all the fuss is about with Goldsmith's Chinatown - and I'd put it in the same "I don't get it" bucket as Papillon and Legend.

So, zero?

FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've not heard QB VII or The Four Musketeers so I could not possibly comment on these.

shocked

Oh my!
    An oversight you should remedy forthwith!
    Srsly!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/foru … picid=3489

Perhaps I'm not alone in my thinking although on this forum I seem to be. I'm one of the original Polanski haters and I loved the movie. Oh wait none of you know anything about I Can't Get Started Either. Classic film and score.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I know everything about I Can't Get Started Either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    S.A. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I know SO much about I Can't Get Started Either that I actually got it started again!

(Incidentally, I think Chinatown is a great and very dark and disheartening film. But then that's Polanski for ya.
    Goldsmith's score is very good in context, but I wouldn't enjoy it on a standalone basis).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I should smash you all up to bits! crazy with a few notable exceptions

CHINATOWN is a fantastic score from begining to end and I have no problems listening to it all the way through and yes that includes the period classics too!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I should smash you all up to bits!

If you finally caught up on your training program you could. Maybe. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I should smash you all up to bits!

If you finally caught up on your training program you could. Maybe. biggrin

FAaaa.....

true cry
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote
    I know SO much about I Can't Get Started Either that I actually got it started again!

(Incidentally, I think Chinatown is a great and very dark and disheartening film. But then that's Polanski for ya.
    Goldsmith's score is very good in context, but I wouldn't enjoy it on a standalone basis).

I feel the same way about The Towering Inferno
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ … ition=used

And he'll get it!!!
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010
    There really aren't many 1974 scores (that I can think of) that I really like to play as ALBUM experiences. But there are a few that work splendidly in their respective movies. THE TOWERING INFERNO certainly did, as well as CHINATOWN and Shire's sparse THE CONVERSATION.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. That may explain why I mention so many themes from this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    That may explain why I mention so many themes from this year.

I'm not alone in my humble opinion of Chinatown
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2010
    when is the next year going to appear?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    sdtom wrote

On the first of January.

Peter tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    sdtom wrote

On the first of January.

Peter tongue

face-palm-mt biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote

I don't think there's any rush eh Tom? smile