• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010
    Or, notes on the future.

So, I have just finished a BSc (a bachelor degree in science) as many of you know.
    ...and now I'm -quite contrary to my initial gut feeling- seriously considering an additional two years to get myself up to Msc (a masters degree).

However. That means that when I'm finished, I'll be 43.
    Of course that means I still have about 40 years of work in me (the way things are going I won't be eligible for any old age pensions any earlier dizzy ), but I am a little afraid I may be deluding myself.
    You know, following education for the sake of keeping busy. Improving myself in my chosen field of profession.
    I'm sure that it won't hurt having an academic degree.

But it's not really where my heart lies, and never has.
    If given the choice, I'd do a masters degree in history... but that'd be another six year (!) investment.
    I dunno. It's daunting.

So.
    To go for a (relatively) quick win with an MSc in Business Administration, and the fortune and glory that inevitably come with such worthwhile certification (slant)?
    Follow my own interest and start on a looooooooooong road towards a certification that will never, ever, ever be of any practical use to me?

Or just let the whole thing be for now and try to relax for a bit?
    dizzy

It's not often...but I really don't know where to go right now.
    Maybe I'm just experiencing a bit of a post-thesis dip... it's quite possible.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Alcohol is your friend.

[spoiler](Sorry, at work, I'll post some better advice later.)[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Heh, funny, we're almost walking the same path, just in different professions.

The biggest difference is that I'm not the one who is the most responsible financially in the family, so I'm not sure my advise will be of any help. I'm kind of avoiding professional responsibility and I feel like being a student forever. But of course that's not reality if you don't have the money to do that...

When I study I have the study in mind, not the profession I will most likely get with that degree. I'm more someone who likes to focus on being in development and I'll just see where that leads me. I never see myself in a profession very seriously. So I'm a bit naive when it comes to decisions like this.

On the other hand, some of my co-students (some are in their late fifties) have been living their lives like that all the time. Just do what they enjoy doing and see where it gets them. Those people are happy when studying as long as they can make it financially.

Hey, you can always become a history teacher. Job guaranteed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010 edited
    Why not do the job you have now and do the study you want to do... just look at it as an expensive hobby.

You are very much focussing on the destination (certification after a long 6 year road). Why not enjoy the journey. You can probably do it in 10 years as well...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thanks for your thoughts, Bregje.
    I'm not really focusing on the destination per se, although indeed if I'd follow the Business Administration road I'd definitely just do it for the "pay off" (the MSc, which would - I assume- increase my market value).

It's more that I am rather hesitant concerning the amount of effort I'd need to put in.
    Six years is a long time.
    The impact on my social and romantic life of the first years of the studies I just finished was quite significant (and the financial impact wasn't to be scoffed at either).

I'm pretty sure I could handle another year. Two as well.
    But six? It's very daunting... I'd like to, but I'm not sure I can...and if I got started I would hate to give up halfway through.

Pfff...I guess I sound like a right whiner...
    I have the oddest feeling that rather than the freedom I was expecting when I'd be done, I now suddenly find myself with blinkers on, unable to grasp other options or nuances!
    Isn't that the damndest thing?

(Maybe I should take Ant's advice anyway wink )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    But six? It's very daunting... I'd like to, but I'm not sure I can...and if I got started I would hate to give up halfway through.

Hey, I've heard that argument before and I don't understand it very well. It's everything or nothing?
    Why not try? Why not stop halfway? Perhaps get the Bachelor. Or less, and then you'll get certificates or whatever. But at least you can say you tried.

It is different of course when you're thinking of switching job / career completely, then a couple of certificated get you nowhere. But to try, or to see if it is as much fun as you thought it would be, why not.

if I'd follow the Business Administration road I'd definitely just do it for the "pay off" (the MSc, which would - I assume- increase my market value)

Maybe find out first if that's really the case. Sometimes it looks nice on the CV but you could get the job without it as well? It makes sense it would increase chances. Of course I don't know anything about your professional field. I'm not even sure you like your work much? Or should I say "enough' , to do the rest of your life?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmm. I wasn't kidding when I said I felt a bit like I had blinkers on.
    Thanks Bregje. It's conversations like these that help me a lot in learning my own mind.

If I'm honest I guess I should have to say that if I'd give up half-way, I feel like I'd failed.
    Which, honestly, is a bit of a weakness of mine. I am very much afraid of failure.
    Which is silly, as your suggestions are very poignant and reasonable.

Bregje wrote
    I'm not even sure you like your work much? Or should I say "enough' , to do the rest of your life?

And THAT is a solid truth!
    That should probably be my starting point for any decision I make.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Well, like I said, it's advice from someone who can't even decide for herself. The blind helping the... what's the expression? I'm very much considering the same kind of decisions and I've decided to go for the most practical option in this phase of my life. The other one I can still do when I'm 35. Or 70.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What is the most practical option for you?
    You mean you also are looking into options that take you down a route that you could make a living from? A "professional" route, so to speak? And what options are you choosing between?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Well, I'm finishing my training right now, so I'll be bachelor of education (tweedegraadsdocent: vmbo, mbo, onderbouw havo/vwo). I would really like to continue for a master of education (eerstegraadsdocent: bovenbouw havo/vwo, hbo). But, there's also my all time dream, to study philosophy. With the bachelor I could do a premaster and master philosophy, but it's far more expensive than the master of education and far more complex when it comes to week planning and kids and everything.

So, I will probably go for the master of education, which is going to be a lot of fun. But it is a training for teachers and I'm not sure I will be a teacher the rest of my life. As most of the time with me, I enjoy the study or training more than the profession you're being trained for... I like the theoretical side of it all more than the practice of teaching. Still, I see it as a nice road to go. Plus, teaching is a job you need to grow in. It takes 5 years at least to find out if you really like it or not.

And philosophy, well, if I make money teaching, and my children are older, then perhaps later on I can find the time and money to do something like that. Or, perhaps the need will be gone when I like my job a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    PS. After I've become a philosopher I want to become a kids books illustrator. Oh, and a writer. I have a lot of dreams you see hehe.
    wink

Thankfully as a teacher I'll probably always have a job. As long as it's fun enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Funny, it really IS the same dilemma. smile
    The great thing though is that a Master's in education really seems something you'll enjoy, so at least the lack of pleasure isn't something that would hinder you.

I, too, would be a student all my life if I could: the continued (structured) pursuit of knowledge is something I love dearly!
    But yeah, it isn't very practical. dizzy

Perhaps I should think about a similar scenario: go for the MSc, and THEN go for History... except knowing myself, I'd probably want a PhD first. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wow, Martijn. You sure are no lazy person! smile I find it impressive that people can do so much besides work. perhaps I'm just really lazy.

As for your choices, you don't make it easy on that level either. smile

Knowing the fact that you your job is something to just earn money, and is something you don't like so much, I'd find it odd to keep continuing in that area. History is your thing (as is ... euhm ... everything else that involves human culture and such) so, why not see this as a new path? Six years is long, but perhaps it will not feel as long as two or thee years for the MSc. But I haven't read what you want to do with a history diploma then? Really something personal?

On a sidenote. How do these studies work? Are you subscribed at a university then? Going through all exams each year? smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010 edited
    What was your major for the BSc?
    A Masters in Business Administration is not going to be an extension of the BSc degree, right? It's a focus on business, which, I am presuming is different from your bachelors degree. In that sense, if the technical part of your current job is what you find boring then it will perhaps be different if you're in a managerial position (not doing much tech). Then an MBA seems like a good option. Btw is MSc in Business Administration different from MBA?

Can you take some of the History courses while you're doing the MBA? Sort of get your feet wet so you'll know if it's worth taking the plunge.

If you can talk to students currently in the programs that you're interested in, you'll have a better picture to help decide.

Whatever the case, it's admirable that you want to continue with a higher degree. All the best and more power to you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Write a list pro and con put it in an envelope for xxxx # of days and let it rest. You'll make a decision
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2010
    Yes, I also believe the answer is already there: meaning that you'll probably already have a feeling inside of what to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    BhelPuri wrote
    If you can talk to students currently in the programs that you're interested in, you'll have a better picture to help decide.

And that's really good advice. Talk to people who work in the field you'll probably end up and ask if you can visit for an afternoon or something.

And talk to students to see if your expectations are right. Go to several Open Days because you can ask students about their experiences and that gives a more realistic idea than a brochure or a website. Also take a look at the (Electronic) Guide where you can read detailed descriptions of the subjects including required literature, that gives a nice overall impression too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    Knowing the fact that you your job is something to just earn money, and is something you don't like so much, I'd find it odd to keep continuing in that area. History is your thing (as is ... euhm ... everything else that involves human culture and such) so, why not see this as a new path? Six years is long, but perhaps it will not feel as long as two or thee years for the MSc. But I haven't read what you want to do with a history diploma then? Really something personal?

Very fair questions, Bregt.
    Here's the thing: much like Bregje sees philosophy, I really don't see history as a "career" choice. It's deep, pure personal interest, with a view towards understanding the present. I can see cycles repeating, and I do not fully grasp why, mainly due to a lack of formal academic knowledge. I am currently incapable of using and fully understanding theories to help me understand.

And while I've tried, it goes beyond what I am capable to achieve on a pure hobby basis: all the material is out there, but I have no structure. No beginning or end to help me on my way (and I am -amazingly- quite poor at creating structure out of nothing. smile )

That said, I just realized that that is something I have actually learned very well in my BSc.
    Hm.

On a sidenote. How do these studies work? Are you subscribed at a university then? Going through all exams each year? smile

Yes and yes.

BhelPuri wrote
    What was your major for the BSc?

Business ICT, or business informatics (there's no comprehensive English translation to do it full justice).
    Basically it involves the application of information technology and business administration to solve business problems. It focuses on IT solutions to business problems, but is solution and process oriented rather than technically.

A Masters in Business Administration is not going to be an extension of the BSc degree, right?

It could be, as would any other Masters in Business.
    There would have to be an intermediate pre-masters year to make sure the curriculum for the University's masters is met. Which is annoying. But hey-ho.

Btw is MSc in Business Administration different from MBA?

Apparently...but I'll be damned if I know what the exact differences are! The curriculum sure looks similar. dizzy (But somehow an MBA is about ten times more expensive, and -at least in Europe- companies are slowly starting to recognize that an MBA degree has been sorely overrated for years...

Can you take some of the History courses while you're doing the MBA? Sort of get your feet wet so you'll know if it's worth taking the plunge.

shocked
    It would be a grand idea...but NOT next to a 40+ hour work week.
    I wouldn't last six months before major meltdown.

sdtom wrote
    Write a list pro and con put it in an envelope for xxxx # of days and let it rest. You'll make a decision
    Thomas

As per usual an excellent suggestion, Tom.
    I sometimes forget how useful a simple list can be. Rather than keeping things inside and mulling them over and over and over again, listing them creates a very good basis for analysis.

I really should have thought of that before.
    I'm way too cerebral at times. slant

Bregje wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

And that's really good advice. Talk to people who work in the field you'll probably end up and ask if you can visit for an afternoon or something.

Hm. That's a good idea as well.
    Right now I only have a rather abstract, theoretical view.
    To be honest though, I would see a Business Masters right now not as a career change, but rather a vehicle to elevate my current career (which already involves many of the skills and tasks ingrained in such a degree) to a higher level.

That said, I should probably have a chat with some History masters, though.
    While I have a very clear idea of what I want from a Masters like that, I don't actually know if the current curriculums can facilitate that! University is not really a "pick'n'choose" environment (more's the pity).

---

Well, thanks for all your suggestions and insights so far, guys.
    It's really helping me in steering this minefield.

You'll be glad to know that in the meantime I have reached one definite decision anyway: FIRST I'm getting my driver's license. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    That'll be expensive too, driver's license!

Anyway, do check the curriculum. Each university has their own accent and specialties and perhaps they go a different direction you want to go.

To start about my own quest again ( rolleyes ), one reason I'm hesitate about philosophy is because Tilburg University strongly focusses on Law / Economy / Business... brrrr! And a bit on Psychology and modern western society. While Nijmegen on the other hand focusses more on classical philosophy and close-reading, given their specialties in classical antiquities and the classical languages. That appeals to me more, but it's simply too far away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    That'll be expensive too, driver's license!

Yeah. I know. slant
    For that very reason I've held off for as long as I did (and well, I didn't really need it dizzy )

On your own dilemma: isn't there a University Of Applied Sciences (HBO in Dutch) that teaches a Philosophy masters? Guess there's not much of a chance of that, is there?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn, my general view on these things and which i also apply to myself, is simple actually:

If you can (financially primarily) and want, then go for it. Be sure to make the right choices as to NOT feel sorry when years go by and you recall missed opportunities. It's far better to try something that wonder what it'd be like if you did.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010 edited
    If I understood you correctly, Martijn, I think I can relate very much to your present conundrum.

I was 11 years in the university and went through ALL the levels. First bachelor, then master, then a degree which is somewhere between current master and Ph.D. (this was in 2004, before they converted into international standard), then lecturer and finally assistant professor. Suddenly, I realized that I was 30 years old and hadn't even TRIED to realize the dreams I had of working more creatively in a media institution. I had just chugged along in an environment I was relatively comfortable in. So I quit academia and started from scratch as a caster in various TV programs (this was 2008). Far too late, of course, and I soon realized that I should have started orienting myself towards the media industry WHILE I was studying, and not only be a full-time student. I'm now caught between a rock and a hard place, as I have trouble landing more TV gigs and I seem to have lost most of my connection to academia.

So what's the moral of the story? Perhaps to think longterm and begin orienting yourself towards whatever profession you WANT to work with as early as possible.

Then again, you may fare better as your education seems very hands-on, extrovert and easily applied to concrete environments (the business world), whereas a pure aesthetician like myself is left with hopeless recruiting possibilities in relevant industries.

Good luck!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2021
    Martijn wrote
    Or, notes on the future.

So, I have just finished a BSc (a bachelor degree in science) as many of you know.
    ...and now I'm -quite contrary to my initial gut feeling- seriously considering an additional two years to get myself up to Msc (a masters degree).

However. That means that when I'm finished, I'll be 43.

I'm 43 NOW. I wonder what Martijn feels about this old conundrum these days?
    I am extremely serious.