• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2010 edited
    Do you know any? Post them here!

Perhaps you know some from your professional point of view or out of personal interests or maybe just from imdb or other sources.

I can think of only one right now, which is an anachronism in Titanic. They are singing Eternal Father, Strong to Save at the service but the version they are singing in the movie apparantly is the Protestant Episcopal version from 1940. What is correct though is that they did sing the hymn (the original one) at the service the day before the ship sank.

I found this information when I was looking for the lyrics and was surprised how many versions there are, even the Crimson Tide version is a bit different, which was the one I was looking for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Fa … ng_to_Save
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2010
    Nice one Bregje, I'm sure I can come up with quite a few.

I'll be returning here beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And me!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm sure Cameron wasn't real happy about that one but in reality no one would really care about that one.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2010 edited
    Inconsistencies?

Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back - Return of The Jedi

vs

Episodes I-III

wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  1. Yes the dying dude at the end of Jedi looks nothing like Hayden Christensen. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BRAVEHEART is an anachronistic film, no one of that time wore belted plaid ( I used this for one of my True/False questions ), it's a like having the battle of Gettysberg played out with opponents wearing modern battle dress.

The whole film is full of historical innacuracies but I have to admit it's a great fun watch that I could see over and over.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Braveheart a great fun watch? Great for sure, but fun? I'd call that a huge and inconsistent inaccuracy... shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. GLADIATOR. The first battle features arrows being put on fire. Not only the Romans never used such tactics, but they also wouldn't burn oil. When an advisor confronted Ridley Scott about it, Ridley said "What'd they use? Lighters?". Case was dropped.

A famous still from the movie shows that one of the chariots in the Barbarian Horde sequence has a bottle of gas on it.

Biggest historical inaccuracy. Commodus DID NOT kill Marcus Aurelius. He wasn't in love with his sister, but rather sent her on exile and later ordered to kill her. He didn't die in the arena too. He DID tend to fight and he WAS killed by a gladiator, but rather than in fight, he was strangled.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2010
    PawelStroinski wrote
    GLADIATOR. The first battle features arrows being put on fire. Not only the Romans never used such tactics, but they also wouldn't burn oil. When an advisor confronted Ridley Scott about it, Ridley said "What'd they use? Lighters?". Case was dropped.

A famous still from the movie shows that one of the chariots in the Barbarian Horde sequence has a bottle of gas on it.

Biggest historical inaccuracy. Commodus DID NOT kill Marcus Aurelius. He wasn't in love with his sister, but rather sent her on exile and later ordered to kill her. He didn't die in the arena too. He DID tend to fight and he WAS killed by a gladiator, but rather than in fight, he was strangled.

Hollywood is only interested in dollars. They could care less.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hollywood the place and the ideal is, yes. But Ridley Scott the director is interested in making good movies. (Although they might not always be as good as one would hope, I'm sure he doesn't make movies solely for the money.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Ridley Scott talked about the flaming arrows in the commentary track, stating he knew the historians didn't approve of it, but he said it would be a logical thing for them to do in such a situation. He was more concerned with the reality of the film and 'what would you do?' as you would in any other film than holding onto what historians thought they'd do, or had done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2010 edited
    Nitpicking can sometimes be fun, but I'm actually not that interested in those minor errors filmmakers make. Recently my roommate wanted to rewind (!!!) Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade because he thought he saw a cameraman in a reflection. During the finale! It goes completely besides the point and I cannot be bothered by that kinda thing. Unless it's incredibly botherable.
  4. How about getting an autograph from a right-handed ADOLPH Hitler? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    How about getting an autograph from a right-handed ADOLPH Hitler? wink

biggrin beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    There was something in Inglorious Basterds that maybe struck me as not being entirely historically accurate, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was... dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. The end? biggrin

[spoiler]Adolf Hitler and the whole Nazi government gets mowed down by the Basterds with "help" of a burning down theatre, in 1944 Paris[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    At times, Pawel, you truly are the Master of the Obvious. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    An interesting, though minor, inaccuracy is depicted in basically all movies that feature gun battles from before roughly 1880: canon shell impacts are invariably depicted with great plumes of smoke and debris (and more often than not explosions and fire).

However up to that time, the most commonly used artillery round was the solid shot. To thin out densely-packed approaching lines of troops, it was far more effective than explosive shells.
    Obviously though that doesn't look as spectacular as explosions do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Historically accurate films = documentary
    Historically inaccurate films = cinema

Can't really see what's the point of these discussions.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    party pooper! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

What's the point in any discussion? In fact, what's the point of this forum!?

Bregt, shut it down! Shut it all down! It's all so pointless!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Steven wrote
    Hollywood the place and the ideal is, yes. But Ridley Scott the director is interested in making good movies. (Although they might not always be as good as one would hope, I'm sure he doesn't make movies solely for the money.)

Yes he does make good movies because if they didn't make money he'd down he street selling used cars. Hollywood is a tough cruel business.
    Christodoulides wrote

100% correct
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    Steven wrote

Yes he does make good movies because if they didn't make money he'd down he street selling used cars.
    Hollywood is a tough cruel business.

You're so pessimistic!

Yes, Hollywood is a tough and cruel business, I'm sure. But are you really saying that any director working in or with Hollywood only make good movies purely because they want to make money? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Hey this is just for fun! It's always fun to learn something we don't know before, isn't it? smile
    Pointing out inaccuracies isn't equal to saying it's a bad movie.

Anyway thanks for this topic Bregje, I'll bring some tomorrow biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    No Steven I'm not saying that at all. There are ways within the film that the director can show off his talents. But the bottom line is the general public has to like it. I don't wish to come off sometimes as being so pessimistic. I know part of it is the 30+ years I spent in retail and the other part is being 62 years old. I've seen a lot my friend, things I'm sorry I did.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tom is very spot on. At the end of the day, it's a job, a very expensive one and it has to bring money in. Of course there are ways to implement artistic instincts in it, but eventually, no matter what, it has to be financially dynamic 'cause if not - very simply, the chances of one getting to work again and again, are drastically reduced. Romanticism is a very pleasant sentiment and view of life, but it usually keeps fading as people's age increase and face reality; with few exceptions (eternal romantics smile )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote

Because you might actually learn something of interest?
    Something you didn't know before?

Jeez, D....
    Miya wrote
    Hey this is just for fun! It's always fun to learn something we don't know before, isn't it? smile

yeah
    What she said. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Because you might actually learn something of interest?
    Something you didn't know before?

Jeez, D....
    Miya wrote

yeah
    What she said. smile

If that's the point, well yeah. But if it's to bash movies for that reason, i.e. of inaccuracy, it's ridiculous (some people do that too, often).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh no! shocked
    Not at all!

Movies can be great, technical, physical or historical inaccuracies notwithstanding!
    (Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Star Wars,... smile )

It's just for fun and education, as far as I'm concerned. beer