• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2010
    If that applies to all replies the thread will get, then fair enough!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    No Steven I'm not saying that at all. There are ways within the film that the director can show off his talents. But the bottom line is the general public has to like it. I don't wish to come off sometimes as being so pessimistic. I know part of it is the 30+ years I spent in retail and the other part is being 62 years old. I've seen a lot my friend, things I'm sorry I did.
    Thomas smile

I don't think it's age, it's just who you are. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    If that applies to all replies the thread will get, then fair enough!

We can only hope. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You're probably right Steven.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
  1. KINGDOM OF HEAVEN

Balian of Ibelin is a real character, but the whole first act is inaccurate. Balian has never been in France, he was already born in the Kingdom of Jerusalem. His father is (admitted by the creators) a fictional character.

The theatrical cut for nonsensical reasons cut a whole subplot out, which led to the movie's biggest historical inaccuracy. There was a child king Baldwin V between Baldwin IV and Guy de Lusignan who also died of leprosy. This and the information of Balian's earlier experience in knighthood (not present in the theatrical cut either, the studio's cuts dumbed the characters down even more) is rectified in the director's cut, whcih is 40 minutes longer.

Salah-ad-Din (nice touch to have him pronounced the right way in the movie) is presented pretty accurately as far as I know, but the scene where he reverently picks up a cross in a church and puts it in the altar is pure bulshit. It is a fact that he respected Christianity though.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. sdtom wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    GLADIATOR. The first battle features arrows being put on fire. Not only the Romans never used such tactics, but they also wouldn't burn oil. When an advisor confronted Ridley Scott about it, Ridley said "What'd they use? Lighters?". Case was dropped.

A famous still from the movie shows that one of the chariots in the Barbarian Horde sequence has a bottle of gas on it.

Biggest historical inaccuracy. Commodus DID NOT kill Marcus Aurelius. He wasn't in love with his sister, but rather sent her on exile and later ordered to kill her. He didn't die in the arena too. He DID tend to fight and he WAS killed by a gladiator, but rather than in fight, he was strangled.

Hollywood is only interested in dollars. They could care less.
    Thomas

The inaccuracy of Commodus killing his father is taken from Anthony Mann's The Fall of Roman Empire, which is admittedly Ridley's inspiration.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Martijn wrote
    Movies can be great, technical, physical or historical inaccuracies notwithstanding!
    (Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Star Wars,... smile )

Hey, we don't know yet if Star Wars is inaccurate or not!
  3. BobdH wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Movies can be great, technical, physical or historical inaccuracies notwithstanding!
    (Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Star Wars,... smile )

Hey, we don't know yet if Star Wars is inaccurate or not!

Sound of spacecraft in space? I think that we know already that it's inaccurate. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm sure there's some flannel that could explain it. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    We definitely know it's inconsistent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010 edited
    The Lion King
    As Ravi mentioned in other thread, there are several species that aren't natives of Africa: Leafcutter ants in the opening, giant anteaters in the I Just Can't Wait To Be King scene, and the gopher who brings "news from the underground".
    (Originally the gopher character was a naked mole rat, but they changed its species "to keep the movie G-rated". lol)

Inconsistency: The number of Simba's whiskers sometimes changes. (Actually there was a fan who counted all characters' whiskers in all scenes. dizzy )

Dances With Wolves
    The Lakota language has different forms spoken by male and female (I don't know the proper linguistic term for this), but the dialogue coach was a woman so Kevin Costner was talking like a female all the time. Native speakers found it funny.
    (Japanese also has female and male from so I can imagine how funny it is! biggrin )
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010
    In SUPERMAN, there's a guy flying around without any technical aid whatsoever. That's so totally unbelieveable. Humans can't fly, I know this for a fact.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Miya wrote
    The Lion King

Inconsistency: The number of Simba's whiskers sometimes changes. (Actually there was a fan who counted all characters' whiskers in all scenes. dizzy )

So was it you or Ravi?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    face-palm-mt
  4. Thor wrote
    In SUPERMAN, there's a guy flying around without any technical aid whatsoever. That's so totally unbelieveable. Humans can't fly, I know this for a fact.

Uhm... If you say so. rolleyes

But let's continue the joke...

in Terminator there's a guy walking around acting alive and he has no beating heart. Humans have hearts, I know this for a fact.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010
    I was once told that I had no heart so it must be false. cheesy
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

lol
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010
    Crap, what happened here in my puts-smile-on-face meant to be topic?? sad

I'll explain more clearly.

This topic is not about the movie business or about money making or things like that.

This topic is not about errors in movies or about movie criticism in a bashing kind of way or whatever.

The idea of this topic was to share things you know, background information, that may interest others, because that's what we enjoy doing here, learn from eachother and discover interesting new facts and all that. So I would like to thank everyone who got the idea and added a nice contribution to this thread that I enjoyed reading a lot.
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    You mean to say there are inaccuracies and inconsistencies in this very thread?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Last time i checked, every thread, like in real life, is to attract natural human responses which vary of course and cannot be strictly controlled or directed, since each and every one of us is different from one another. Simply 'cause one sees a subject only positively and with good intentions, that alone can't force others to follow that route as well wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    That's true. And I don't want to control or force anyone of course.

So all I can do, like in real life, is just ignore it and focus on the good stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Another interesting inconsistency is the regular use of the command "Fire!" (as a command to start shooting) in medieval films (upon which a volley of arrows is usually dispatched). That always amuses me!
    But maybe that's more something for in the "In Films, Don't You Just Hate It When..." thread.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    What did they command then?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010 edited
    'Shoot!' or 'Loose!'

There was nothing with "fire". smile These are classically commands given to cannon or -later- to rifle volleys.

But the phrase 'fire' (as a command for any missile to be launched) is now so ingrained in our subconscious that we even think of arrows as being 'fired'!
    (That idea would have rather confused the troops in, say, 15 BC or so wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Yeah funny... I didn't think of the word 'shoot' either. I guess it's the same in Dutch with 'afvuren'.
    One can even fire questions at someone!
  5. I remembering seeing on TV about this lady approaching Cameron at a later showing of "Titanic", and she pointed out that the stars in the night sky were not right, that the position of the Earth was different then. He told her off (not meanly) and blew her off about changing it later for DVD. But apparently it ate at him because he fixed it.

There was also another film, a western that I can't recall the name of, where you can see an airplane in the distance.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2012
    Good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2012
    Gooood.