• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007
    I read it a few weeks ago and it was absolutely FABULOUS so everyone give it a read!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. just to let you guys know that I offered The Golden Compass score review to Bregt
    So he will be reviewing this score since I don't have the nerve of being crucified here biggrin

No its all got to do with the mere fact that I haven't heard a lot of Desplat yet and Bregt has, so he will have the knowlegde as to what a Desplat score sounds like wink

Go Bregt biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007
    Coward!!!!

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. oh I know biggrin

But for once I don't care wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2007
    Bregt, get the shovel out, you have my full support! biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. To program the track listing in the order that the cues appear in the film: 1, 4, 5, 2, 13, 6, 8, 3, 16, 12, 7, 9, 11, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25. (Track 10 does not appear.)

To program the track listing in the order of the book: 1, 4, 5, 2, 13, 6, 8, 3, 16, 12, 7, 9, 11, 14, 15, 21, 22, 23, 24, 10, 17, 18, 19, 20. (Album segues don’t always permit an smooth programming along these lines, but I suspect when the score was originally planned, the structure of the film was still fairly close to this. Track 25 would probably have appeared in some form between tracks 10 and 17, but would not have finished with such a positive statement of ‘Lyra’s theme’, since dark times with Lord Asriel are not far around the corner. The second half of track 20 would have accompanied a scene of Iorek and Lyra rushing to get somewhere – except this time they would have been pursuing Lord Asriel, rather than racing to Bolvangar. The ‘Ice Bridge’ led not to Bolvangar, but to Asriel’s own experimental site.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Tommy_Boy wrote
    just to let you guys know that I offered The Golden Compass score review to Bregt
    So he will be reviewing this score since I don't have the nerve of being crucified here biggrin

Just a general comment here...when scores are reviewed here, should the reviews be limited to just one per score? I was thinking that it may be interesting to have multiple reviews of scores when two (or more) people have taken the time to write reviews independently of each other. Particularly if the reviews throw up alternate opinions or highlight different aspects of the scores. Perhaps Bregt or other administrators could somehow screen them so that the reviews are not just repeating the same thing.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2007 edited
    I have programmed the review section this way that more reviews per soundtrack is possible. But we don't want too much reviews for one soundtrack. 2 or 3 are enough I think?

Alan, you once said on scorereviews, you'd like to do these smaller reviews, for more unknown scores for example.
    Kazoo
  5. A very interesting youtube video for those who are curious as to how THE GOLDEN COMPASS was meant to end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvcZr_CHOj0

One of the most interesting aspects of this is how scenes have temp music before they've even been shot!
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    just to let you guys know that I offered The Golden Compass score review to Bregt

Just a general comment here...when scores are reviewed here, should the reviews be limited to just one per score? I was thinking that it may be interesting to have multiple reviews of scores when two (or more) people have taken the time to write reviews independently of each other. Particularly if the reviews throw up alternate opinions or highlight different aspects of the scores. Perhaps Bregt or other administrators could somehow screen them so that the reviews are not just repeating the same thing.

I think we always said that multiple reviews per score was always going to be an oppurtunity but not always. True its always interesting to have multiple takes and impressions upon something but not on every score. I don't want this to turn into something ala Filmmuziek, 10 to 30 different reviews of the same score, with everyone saluting this as a composer fan or bombing it as a composer hater. Its nice to have multiple reviews but people still wanna know who wrote it right? They wanna know which style he likes and they wanna know what he recommended them in the past.

At least that's my take on it
  7. Bregt, I'd still be interested in trying some small reviews for some more unusual/less well known scores.

When I was thinking of having multiple reviews for scores I did have at the back of my mind that this option could be open to abuse. I certainly don't want to see a bunch of reviews that are blatantly pro-composer in nature. If all you administrators would be willing to take on some sort of editorial review role on the submissions, I think that that could be a way to monitor things. At least for a test period.

I think that the comments that people could add to the reviews in scorereviews.com sometimes went a bit too "fanboy", but I think that if we want to have this site as a community-based site rather than just another review site (with a forum tagged on) then somehow having multiple reviews from different contributors may be an interesting experiment?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2007
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I think that if we want to have this site as a community-based site rather than just another review site (with a forum tagged on) then somehow having multiple reviews from different contributors may be an interesting experiment?

At this time it would be an interesting experiment to see if we actually can get this to be something else than just another forum site (with some reviews tagged on)... biggrin

(Just kidding, guys)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008 edited
    Just a quick update:

As of today, The Golden Compass has earned $ 300.000.000, with the worldwide income dated January 6th and the box office of Japan still missing. Complete with DVD sales, which will be HUGE, I guess this movie is a success after all, a small one, but it is...
  8. It would be nice to see Desplat develop his material in a sequel if there were an opportunity.
  9. Absolutely. I´m in love with this score now, and last week we took some friends to see it a second time, and I noticed a lot of new things about the score. ^^
  10. The playing is not always up to the challenge, but here's an interesting piano suite of themes from THE GOLDEN COMPASS:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=o0K0LO46RVE

That theme for Lyra and Iorek is such a stunner. Lifts my heart every time I hear it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2008

Fantastic!

punk
    Kazoo