• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I've had a look around. No it's old, OOP. And expensive (used £45 quoted on Amazon).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2010 edited
    Southall wrote
    Now this sounds interesting. Is it new? On CD?

It's an out of print BBC release from 2000 which can seemingly be obtained on Amazon for 45 pounds.
    [spoiler]or other places[/spoiler]
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've had a look around. No it's old, OOP. And expensive (used £45 quoted on Amazon).

You beat me by 14 seconds!! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2010
    He beat me by two minutes because I was about to answer my own question too!

I don't remember the series, which is odd - it's the sort of thing I'd usually watch without question.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    On the other hand, I am seemingly the only person in the world who doesn't spontaneously ejaculate at the very mention of Philippe Rombi. So something must be wrong with me.

Much as I like Philippe Rombi, I think whoever said Chris Gordon was probably the most overrated composer on these boards (since his hype is relative to only a handful of scores) probably should have said it of Rombi on those grounds.
    (Read it again everyone, I'm not actually saying he's overrated.)

I don't dislike Rombi by any means, but my very limited exposure to his music has yet to leave me truly wowed. I mean, it's nice and all, but it hasn't made a special connection to me.

What have you heard? A lot of his music is reminiscent of Williams, which is nice. I find his music very charming.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Page 100! Put 'er down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    On the other hand, I am seemingly the only person in the world who doesn't spontaneously ejaculate at the very mention of Philippe Rombi. So something must be wrong with me.

Much as I like Philippe Rombi, I think whoever said Chris Gordon was probably the most overrated composer on these boards (since his hype is relative to only a handful of scores) probably should have said it of Rombi on those grounds.
    (Read it again everyone, I'm not actually saying he's overrated.)

I don't dislike Rombi by any means, but my very limited exposure to his music has yet to leave me truly wowed. I mean, it's nice and all, but it hasn't made a special connection to me.

What have you heard? A lot of his music is reminiscent of Williams, which is nice. I find his music very charming.

I've only heard Angel and the Man & Dog score (whatever it's called).
  2. Scribe wrote
    Southall wrote

It's an out of print BBC release from 2000 which can seemingly be obtained on Amazon for 45 pounds.

My "other places" don't seem to be as extensive as other peoples' "other places". Is it because I don't go P2P?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Un homme et son chien - A man and his dog.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Southall wrote

My "other places" don't seem to be as extensive as other peoples' "other places". Is it because I don't go P2P?

Yes.
    Quite a few of us visit the same, relatively small and niche-ified place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2010 edited
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Andes To Amazon - Nicholas Hooper

No: CD release is from 2000, from a 1991 (I think?) BBC documentary series.
    It's long out of print.

EDIT: Oops. Too late.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

Those are my two favourites. Love 'em.
  4. I listened to LAST AIRBENDER last night, and it actually really clicked. I started to enjoy it. Turned it off half way, but more because I was going to sleep than anything else.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    I listened to LAST AIRBENDER last night, and it actually really clicked. I started to enjoy it. Turned it off half way, but more because I was going to sleep than anything else.

I like it a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Those are my two favourites. Love 'em.

I haven't listened to A Man and his Dog for some time but doesn't it essentially just repeat two themes over and over again? (I know that some people love albums that do that, but it's not for me.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes.

Those kinds of albums, as you might have guessed, are for me. (If the themes are good.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    To each his own. I'd just listen to the two themes once and then move on to something else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well you are a better person because of that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Andes To Amazon - Nicholas Hooper

This is the kind of score I really, really love,
    Beautiful, majestic, thoroughly thematic and melodic, with wonderful Peruvian and Brazilian ethnic touches.
    Of course the subject of this documentary lends itself to the most soaring and awe-inspiring kinds of music (I can just picture grand sweeping vistas of the mighty Amazon), but that doesn't diminish the wonder and reverent beauty in the execution of this lovely music one little bit.

I'm utterly, thoroughly enjoying this enchanting score. And I feel like taking a major trip.
    Brazil would be good, I think.

smile

Brazil Schmil....Chile, Argentina, Peru, Bolivia....mountains, jungles, waterfalls, ancient ruins etc cool ( I say this because you already hit Brazil wink )

And yeah, Hooper's 'Amazon' score is great, I thank our own Martin ( Tintin ) for turning me on to this. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    VIPS from the Rozsa box
    listen to more classical music!
  5. Southall wrote
    I haven't listened to A Man and his Dog for some time but doesn't it essentially just repeat two themes over and over again? (I know that some people love albums that do that, but it's not for me.)

That must be why you hate Somewhere in Time so much.

and some other Barry scores
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    christopher wrote
    Southall wrote

That must be why you hate Somewhere in Time so much.

and some other Barry scores

I've listened to the full Somewhere in Time album maybe twice in a decade, for this very reason. (And as good as Rombi may be - has he really come up with a Somewhere in Time-level theme yet?)
  6. You hate Somewhere in Time?? That's one of Barry's very best?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    I've listened to the full Somewhere in Time album maybe twice in a decade, for this very reason. (And as good as Rombi may be - has he really come up with a Somewhere in Time-level theme yet?)

I would say yes, definitely. (But then I'm not too keen on Barry.)

Although I'm not entirely sure what Rombi has to do with Barry.

Edit: Oh wait, Christopher mentioned Barry and repeating themes. Never mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    You hate Somewhere in Time?? That's one of Barry's very best?

No, I love it, but it IS very repetitive!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Weird, I was asking me " what score I want to play? At world's End or Jack Sparrow and the Kraken??

And I choosed the last one! shocked

punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  7. John Williams - Black Sunday

What a quality score. The way Williams builds the suspense, how he intensifies the suspense based on a simple motif. This is structurally amazing. While it's sometimes a somewhat more difficult score and while the source cues are totally spoiling the atmosphere (while being nice and cool), this is an amazing achievement and I am glad that FSM released this score.

I watched the movie. The score is re-edited as the liner notes say and I must say that sometimes it spoils the way the score works, not because Frankenheimer took the wrong pieces or something, the edits are sometimes simply jarring (going from Air Chase to Explosion for example). The movie itself is very good too, some of Shaw's lines (Blink for yes, die for no) are amazing, the action's handled very well, the humane treatment of the villains (the scene between Dern and Keller night before the attack is just priceless). VERY good movie, slightly forgotten though. And today nobody would make a thriller where a Mossad agent chases after a Palestinian terrorist and tries to thwart an attack plot. Not too PC anymore. Israel FTW (this time)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    I do not find a layered recording of precisely executed instrumental performances to be either cold or uninspired as an aesthetic. I like that I can hear the tension of the parallel ideas that normally get swamped in texture. But hey, I think he's the best thing to happen to film music in a long time. The recording is part of that.

Southall wrote
    It's also part of the reason I like him so much.

I agree as well. He has qualities in his sound and music that i'd characterize as a renewed, up to date take on the Golden Age of film music; in essence and core, the way music is used in the accompanying medium.

Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote

<making popcorn, sitting back, waiting for D. to enter...>

I don't quite get the "i don't actually men he's overrated comment, Michael. What do you actually mean then 'cause forgive me but i can't get the word-play there smile And i am sure you know i wasn't the one who said Gordon was overrated, right?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.