• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010
    ALBERTO IGLESIAS - Los abrazos rotos

So much beauty in this man's craft, is impossible to be described with words. I am eagerly awaiting for his next work, "Monk", as Iglesias is one particularly unique voice of musical art in an otherwise noisy world.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - unbreakable

One excellent example of modern thriller scoring. Every single note in this score is there for a reason, full of meaning and there's moments (especially during the final act of the film) which breathe out pure beauty. It's not a secret that Shyamalan always brings the best out of Mr.Howard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

One excellent example of modern thriller scoring. Every single note in this score is there for a reason, full of meaning and there's moments (especially during the final act of the film) which breathe out pure beauty. It's not a secret that Shyamalan always brings the best out of Mr.Howard.

The last cue of the film is probably one of the best finales I´ve ever watched.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

Every single note in this score is there for a reason.

Are you john locke?
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

Excellent indeed! Someone was watching Greek TV 2 nights ago! wink
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Stavroula wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I was watching your eyes. GORGEOUS! anyway...Whatever you said, Earth Angel love
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Are you john locke?

That had me rolling, i admit it lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Are you john locke?

Nautilus wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I was watching your eyes. GORGEOUS! anyway...Whatever you said, Earth Angel love

Someone is inspired today biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Definitely! smile Well, who wouldn't? Gorgeous women inspire everyone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Gorgeous women inspire everyone.

Quote of the week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    David OC wrote
    Daybreakers' main ideas just don't have much of a hook to them and come across as fairly generic. The 2 pieces that begin with the percussive assaults are daring enough but I think there's a lot of filler on that album - music that may work wonders in context but has little value outside the film.

I don't have the musical vocabulary to explain why this statement is ridiculous. Someone of greater intelligence please help me!

NP: Les Aiguilles Rouges - Frederic Talgorn
    Love it.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Film Music of Dmitri Shostakovich Vol. 2 - Dmitri Shostakovich
    The BBC Philharmonic conducted by Vassily Sinaisky

I didn't really notice the opening The Golden Mountains suite but once Gadfly began I had to give it my undivided attention. A melo-dramatic, aggressive, passionate, heart wrenching, and deeply emotional score. Delicious themes and stunning string writing. And this is my very first taste of the famous "Romance" cue. That track was instantly put in "My Favorites" playlist. Brilliant string writing with rolling percussion.

A few tracks later we get the showstopper "Scene. Moderato." This is the way I like my film music. Full bodied and larger than life! What a huge sound Sinaisky got out of the BBC Philharmonic!

And "The Finale" All I can say is WOW! Blew me away! A strong march with a reprise of the theme from the Overture! From start to finished... this 45 minute suite is worth the price of this album! And the sound quality is an audiophile's wet dream. Stephen Rinker's recording is splendid.

I know that Alexander Nevsky has received classic status and is one of the most influential film scores of all time but I find myself getting more out of Gadfly, emotionally, than I do from Alexander Nevsky. Gadfly, at least to me, is one of the best film scores ever composed! Superb music!

Highly recommended!

-Erik-

And he didn't like writing for films!!! One of the great composers of the 20th century
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My next review is Tip On A Dead Jockey which I'm listening to now.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Apollo 13 - James Horner

The promo. I only chose to play this after 'The House of Sand and Fog' had ended. You could say the sound inspired me, but no, I wanted to listen to the good old James, full of wonder and excitement, with just the right dose of emotion. The promo does the job.

Fingers crossed Avatar 2 will sound more like Apollo 13 than Avatar.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

The last cue of the film is probably one of the best finales I´ve ever watched.

Yes, indeed. An amazing score to one of my all-time favorite films.
  3. You guys inspired me. Unbreakable is an AMAZING score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    Fingers crossed Avatar 2 will sound more like Apollo 13 than Avatar.

I rather hope it sounds like Avatar.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Goonies - Dave Grusin

Not one of my favourite composers but this is obviously one of Grusin's standout works and long overdue on CD. 79 minutes is a fair fill too after waiting all these years!! The 'Fratelli Chase' theme is obviously the standout piece but the whole score is amazingly well sustained over such a length. Even the moments with synths are well done. They augment the orchestra nicely and rather than sounding outdated and alienating prove to be surprisingly effective. It doesn't hurt that there's a strong element of nostalgia attached to this for anyone who saw the film growing up. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2010 edited
    Nautilus wrote

Oh my! Thank you very much! shame smile

Christodoulides wrote

Me a gorgeous woman and thus an insipration?! Ok, I feel dizzy! Time to sit down! dizzy
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Slumdog Millionaire - A.R. Rahman
    How is there so little actual score on this album?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

Inspire you to do what? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Scribe wrote

I think there wasn't much more in the film either, mostly just variations of the album material repeated again. smile

I love "Latika's Theme" and "Mausam & Escape".
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    DemonStar wrote
    Scribe wrote

I think there wasn't much more in the film either, mostly just variations of the album material repeated again. smile

The whole thing is very different than what I expected, but it is slowly growing on me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Scribe wrote

The whole thing is very different than what I expected, but it is slowly growing on me.

It's a great album, highly enjoyable.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Yes, it is an enjoyable album. I was just expecting a score, instead of an album full mostly of songs wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2010 edited
    NP: Nanny McPhee & The Big Bang - James Newton Howard

There's some nice music here, but far too much mickey-mousing and other aimless meandering. Howard seems to be very much on auto-pilot here, which is disappointing. Doyle did a much better job...though I haven't seen this new film, possibly the narrative structure is not as strong as the first one, whose cleanly layed-out and traditional plot surely helped Doyle plan a well-structured score. But that's not much of an excuse for JNH.

I hope he was saving it all for Shyamalan!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2010
    I'm sure he is! Can't wait for the announcement of the Last Airbender soundtrack album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ What Scribe said wink

n.p. ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL - heat (expanded score)

There's not anything one can really say about music like this, and generally Goldenthal's output; the man's craft speaks for itself. Outstanding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

n.p. ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL - heat (expanded score)

There's not anything one can really say about music like this, and generally Goldenthal's output; the man's craft speaks for itself. Outstanding.

I was playing the same score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Excellent mood there, right? smile