• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    I'm playing a lot more classical music these days... not sure why... but this morning while making breakfast I spun Prokofiev's magnificent Scythian Suite I wanted to hit the repeat button on the second movement "The Enemy God And The Dance Of The Black Spirits." shocked The last movement reminded me of the dark and dissonant music Alex North wrote for Dragonslayer.

I then, on the recommendation of a Facebook friend, spun Sibelius' 5th and 7th Symphonies. Nothing too demanding which is what I'm in the mood for. The 3rd movement of the 5th Symphony is OUTSTANDING and the recording is brilliant. The album I have features Leonard Bernstein conducting the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra.

I'm then going to move onto Andrew Pearce's mind blowing Cinema Symphony which is easily one of my all time favorite orchestral albums.

I'm then going to pop on Chandos' The Film Music of Ralph Vaughan Williams Vol 1. featuring Scott of the Antarctic, Coastal Command and The People's Land.

-Erik-

It can be a wonderful world to tap into. Music that has a bit of room to breathe, and then some.
    Mahler 1 has always been a favourite of mine.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Timmer wrote
    NP : ROVING MARS - Philip Glass

a very enjoyable score nicely rounded off with a Sigur Ros song, very ethereal and hypnotic. cool

Goodness! It's a while since I've listened to that one!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010 edited
    I've had a very busy week, and am currenly playing the kind of music that has really kept me calm. I've never listened to it much before, but this week I've started and I've really enjoyed a lot of it: opera! Especially Puccini. Right now I'm listening to Mascagni's Cavalleria Rusticana (more beautiful than anything else I can think of at the moment). A couple songs ago I was SUPREMELY impressed by the mega-amazing voice talents of Natalie Dessay singing from Lakme by Delibes. I had never heard of her, that opera, or that composer, but I've got to say it sounds like the most challenging piece I've ever heard anyone sing. I had no idea the human voice was capable of such a thing. Astounding! I wish I had a link for it, but I'm afraid you'll have to find it yourself if you're interested.

Found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmYRQWYlDbM

Check out that high note and set of runs that happens just before 1:30. Incredible!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010
    keky wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    The Time Machine Klaus Badelt

I'm glad this one has come up in discussion again, because I'd forgotten how enjoyable it is. Badelt is certainly one of the better composers to have emerged from Media Ventures, if just for his simple-yet-beautiful melodies.

Yeap; that, The Promise and REscue Dawn (and parts of K-19) are very enjoyable.

Do not forget Ned Kelly either! One of my favourites from Badelt.

You're right. I also forgot his beautifully mesmerizing string-led work with Hans Zimmer, INVINCIBLE.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. BSG Season 1 - Bear McCreary

Still one I cannot enjoy entirely for the simple reason that it's based too much on the percussive ideas of Bear, but some cues are the genesis for a lot of the stellar music in the subsequent seasons. I would've enjoyed the album more at around 60 minutes though, with less of the percussive tracks present. I can make my own playlist you say... but I'm against skipping in my soundtracks. Yeap, I'm weird like that. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Cuthroad Island + Passion of Christ = NP:Lair (Debney)

I love it every note of it.

"Diviner battle" punk punk punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I've been revisiting some Zimmers:

Batman Begins
    Even though I much prefer Batman Begins to The Dark Knight as a movie, it's the opposite with the scores: The Dark Knight is much more dynamic and interesting. Batman Begins has about 5 very good tracks but the resti is a bit boring.

The Last Samurai
    One of my favourites by Zimmer. I love the mood, the quiet string passages and the exciting action music. He should compose more scores like this.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP : Air Force One - Jerry Goldsmith

The Hijacking is such a brilliant suspense/action track. Love the build up.

What other Goldsmith cues follow the style of this? I don't nearly have enough of his music.
  4. Jerry Goldsmith - Total Recal

Amazing, exciting score. Goldsmith's best action entry, I think. Though it's not my favorite Jerry Goldsmith score, I am torn here, but I think this might be Russia House.

Dense, exciting, complex writing. Great rhythm, very good action motifs, Goldsmith's trademark odd meters, everything is here in a very neat package. Of course I am listening to the Deluxe edition.

Five stars easily.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : ROVING MARS - Philip Glass

a very enjoyable score nicely rounded off with a Sigur Ros song, very ethereal and hypnotic. cool

Goodness! It's a while since I've listened to that one!

I've actually played it three times over the last few days, very enjoyable and the album is just the right length.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Anthony wrote
    NP : Air Force One - Jerry Goldsmith

The Hijacking is such a brilliant suspense/action track. Love the build up.

What other Goldsmith cues follow the style of this? I don't nearly have enough of his music.

When it comes to this track, it's on one hand typical, but rarely he hits these patriotic notes. Rambo trilogy is one of the best action trilogies ever and listen to Total Recall if you haven't. If you like Rambo III, go with Star Trek V too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - Total Recal

Amazing, exciting score. Goldsmith's best action entry, I think. Though it's not my favorite Jerry Goldsmith score, I am torn here, but I think this might be Russia House.

Dense, exciting, complex writing. Great rhythm, very good action motifs, Goldsmith's trademark odd meters, everything is here in a very neat package. Of course I am listening to the Deluxe edition.

Five stars easily.

punk

I'll never get bored of agreeing! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Daylight - Randy Edelman

My second favourite Edelman score after Dragonheart. Highly melodic themes, both the action and the lyrical part of the score. A very good one!
  6. keky wrote
    Daylight - Randy Edelman

My second favourite Edelman score after Dragonheart. Highly melodic themes, both the action and the lyrical part of the score. A very good one!

I was listening to "Latura's Theme" the other day - one of my favourite themes.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. I like Daylight a lot.

Having a Goldsmith today. Anthony reminded me of:

Jerry Goldsmith - Air Force One

Patriotic, over the top, cool and exciting. The movie is rather awful and basically made me lose respect to Harrison Ford for a while. Him walking terrified around the plane while killing terrorists made me want to hug him all the time rather than root for him... He had a face close to crying, to be honest. And that's weird, because I used to love scared Harrison Ford - Patriot Games is one of my favorite action movies of all time, partly due to the cast performances! (And a rare situation where I prefer the movie to the novel, which ends REALLY over the top and having the character [spoiler]arrested rather than killed after an elaborate chase involving even Coast Guard[/spoiler] was rather an anti-climax)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - Total Recal

Five stars easily.

punk

I'll never get bored of agreeing! beer

neither I 'm.

Do you know What???

NP Total Recall.

"Clever Girl" punk punk punk
  8. OMG, look at how I've written the score's title...

Not editing it so the world sees I am not too smart lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    keky wrote

Batman Begins
    Even though I much prefer Batman Begins to The Dark Knight as a movie, it's the opposite with the scores: The Dark Knight is much more dynamic and interesting. Batman Begins has about 5 very good tracks but the resti is a bit boring.

I agree.

In fact, i can't understand why a so dense movie as the Dark Knight is could reach the 500 million mark. Batman begins is far more enjoyable (even if it doesn't have the highlights of the sequel)

About the score, The dark knight is far more consisten, more devoloped and more orchestral than batman begins. In fact, I think BB is one of the worst scores by Zimmer and TDK one of his bests.

I love when Zimmer learns of his mistakes, "listen" the fans and fix some problems.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Non c'e due senza quatro - Franco Micalizzi

I needed some light and fun music so I put on this CD. The movies of the Bud Spencer - Terence Hill duo were very popular in Hungary in the '80s along with the music of those films so this CD brings back happy memories from my childhood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote
    keky wrote

Batman Begins

I agree.

In fact, i can't understand why a so dense movie as the Dark Knight is could reach the 500 million mark. Batman begins is far more enjoyable (even if it doesn't have the highlights of the sequel)

About the score, The dark knight is far more consisten, more devoloped and more orchestral than batman begins. In fact, I think BB is one of the worst scores by Zimmer and TDK one of his bests.

I love when Zimmer learns of his mistakes, "listen" the fans and fix some problems.

So I just want to clarify.... Batman Begins is far more enjoyable as a movie, even though it has one of the worst score by Zimmer, while a The Dark Knight is a complicated movie that so many people enjoy (and you don't enjoy as much) and has a better score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Talking about batman begins...

NP:Batman Begins.

I was dissapointed. and I think everybody was dissapointed by this score.

I don't think it''s complex or "worked" enough to justify 2 GREAt composers like this.

So, if you think it's New Line's Batman begins and it's composed by Grame Revell (just he can't music like that) you can enjoy a lot of music from the album:

Espicius , Barbarstella and lasirius are touching.

Talarida (I love wayne's theme with this vocals) and Artibeus are creepy and dark enough.

Molossus is exiting.

and of course, "The End Credits" the only way you can hear the rendition of Bruce Wayne and batman's theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    As you were Martijn, nothing of interest for you here.........scoot!

But... I...oh... pf.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    OMG, look at how I've written the score's title...

Not editing it so the world sees I am not too smart lol

Total Recal? Sounds like a new diet fad. biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    keky wrote

Batman Begins

I agree.

the dark knight is a very mature, more coherent and enjoyable version of batman begins
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

the dark knight is a very mature, more coherent and enjoyable version of batman begins

Score or movie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Score, both movies were good, although the 2nd one was significantly more advanced in many areas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: V for Vendetta ~ Dario Marianelli

Totaly atmospheric!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: V for Vendetta ~ Dario Marianelli

Totaly atmospheric!

Yay! A V fan. cheesy Great score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut Trey Parker & Marc Shaiman

My favourite musical. biggrin punk