• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    There are no shades of grey.

I think I need that shirt.

Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Lust, Caution - Alexandre Desplat
    It's sooooooooooo dull... but it's the least distracting score I could find to play while editing.
    -Erik-

I dunno... I mean it's incredibly accessible and "easy" to appreciate... but if that was such a bad thing then how would John Barry be the legend he is today?

Nautilus wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    NP: I Am Legend, JNH
    Pretty decent stuff.

decent?????
    SUPERB!

I find it a bit uneven, but the good stuff in there really is frekkin glorious.

NP: Igor, Patrick Doyle

Same thing: a bit uneven but overall vintage Doyle. Some key moments could be isolated as some of his best stuff.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2010
    HeeroJF wrote
    I dunno... I mean it's incredibly accessible and "easy" to appreciate...

Lust Caution is just... I don't know... maybe too simple which is why it's perfect to play now but the music itself is soooooo uninteresting... at least to me. I like simplistic scores but like with most of Desplat's music its lacking in the emotional department. It's a floater. Blah!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: To Gillian On Her 37th Birthday - James Horner

Now this is simplistic music at its best. I simply adore Horner's French Horn writing in this score. Now this score has an emotional core! Aaaaaaah... breezy and beautiful!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Uno Di Piu All'Inferno - Nico Fidenco

A spaghetti western score I blindly picked up during SAE's sale.
    Lots of "standard" western stylings -which I like! lick - (including a very good but horribly accented main title song), but surprisingly varied and creative for the rest. Some harpsichord and flute going on. Quite softly and lyrical in places. What an interesting and happy pick. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Interesting, while the writing itself is great, it's the only detractor from the mood for me! Maybe because it's mixed tad too loud for my tastes.

I've never seen the movie, but visually the change in the score is like going from an intimate close-up to a vista using a smash cut.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    an intimate close-up to a vista using a smash cut.

uhm
    Them sound like fighting words, padner.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Erik Woods wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    I dunno... I mean it's incredibly accessible and "easy" to appreciate...

Lust Caution is just... I don't know... maybe too simple which is why it's perfect to play now but the music itself is soooooo uninteresting... at least to me. I like simplistic scores but like with most of Desplat's music its lacking in the emotional department. It's a floater. Blah!

-Erik-

Well something like The Golden Compass is far more complex and rich. But less beautiful. Maybe the melodies of Lust Caution are simple, but they really work for me. I'd call them "simple", but not "simplistic."

NP: Silver Bullet, Jay Chattaway

I'm addicted to that theme song!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    HeeroJF wrote
    Well something like The Golden Compass is far more complex and rich. But less beautiful. Maybe the melodies of Lust Caution are simple, but they really work for me. I'd call them "simple", but not "simplistic."

I dislike The Golden Compass even more. tongue

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LUST, CAUTION is full of sentimental, beautiful melodies.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. I second that. My first Desplat CD, wonderful piece.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sorry if I've missed anything but I just can't read from page 88 to 96 wink

I thought I'd be bursting to play some orchestral scoring after the ( mostly enjoyable ) assault of varied music I've been listening to permanently since last Wednesday but I'm just 'music'ed out'.

I could hear film music blasting out occasionally from the site, both Superman and Raiders wafted across the site from someone's theatre or cabaret act, best of all was being in front of a PA with the theme to Christopher Young's THE FLY II blasting out louder than I'll ever hear it again in my life cool punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    LUST, CAUTION is full of sentimental, beautiful melodies.

That might be true but that doesn't mean the rest of the score is any good. Lust, Caution bored me to tears and is the perfect antidote for insomnia.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wholly down to earth and free of hyperboles as always wink tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

Oh, you missed out, you missed out!

There was be a show on trampoline.
    The Hendersons were all there
    late of Pablo Fanques'fair, what a scene!
    Over men and horses hoops and garters
    and lastly through a hogshead of real fire

Oh, and the celebrated Mr. K performed his feats last Saturday at Bishopsgate
    The Hendersons did dance and sing when Mr. Kite flew through the ring (you didn't wanna be late!)
    Messers K. and H. assured the public their production would be second to none
    And of course Henry the Horse danced the waltz!

It was all quite magnificent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

I'm serious. If I ever need a night time listen and can't fall asleep Lust, Caution is going on.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Sainte Ange - Joseph LoDuca

Quite dark and broody, with a rather solemn, even reverent subtext.
    It's rather interesting, and really quite good...I'm just not sure that I like it very much. Though every time I'm ready to switch it off, another interesting twist, or a bit of choir hooks my interest again.

This one will be a multiple-listen score, clearly.
    It doesn't often happen any more that I'm not sure at first sight...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Oh, you missed out, you missed out!

There was be a show on trampoline.
    The Hendersons were all there
    late of Pablo Fanques'fair, what a scene!
    Over men and horses hoops and garters
    and lastly through a hogshead of real fire

Oh, and the celebrated Mr. K performed his feats last Saturday at Bishopsgate
    The Hendersons did dance and sing when Mr. Kite flew through the ring (you didn't wanna be late!)
    Messers K. and H. assured the public their production would be second to none
    And of course Henry the Horse danced the waltz!

It was all quite magnificent.

biggrin applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I'm serious. If I ever need a night time listen and can't fall asleep Lust, Caution is going on.

-Erik-

That's why I listen to Benjamin Button! cheesy (Except I actually like that score. wink)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

I wonder how it would sound coming from a 30ft bank of speakers?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Still quite relaxing I reckon.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Alan, shhhhhhh. Michael will see your post and will laugh out loud! beer wink biggrin

I rather like TIMELINE, actually.
    KILLING ROOM didn't compel me enough to go back for another listen, but it wasn't bad by any means.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. (Oh, and Erik, can you stop listening to Desplat? I gave up on Silvestri and several others who I used to complain about all the time years ago. It makes life better. wink )
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    (Oh, and Erik, can you stop listening to Desplat? I gave up on Silvestri and several others who I used to complain about all the time years ago. It makes life better. wink )

Mention something about Back To The Future. Go on, you might as well go for gold!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah... but then I think to myself I MUST be missing something. For instance, almost everyone was having an orgasm concerning Lust, Caution over the past couple of days so I decide that I wanted in of that. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH! sorry! Any-frickin'-who, I gave it yet another spin... my 6th complete listen... and I still don't hear ANYTHING remotely special. I should just erase it from my drive. In saying that, Desplat will always remain my ultimate fim music curiosity because there are rare occasions when he writes something striking like Coco Avant Chanel and The New Moon.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: ANGELS IN AMERICA - Thomas Newman

I absolutely adore this score. One of my favourites of the 00s. An incredibly effective showcase of Newman's soaring and experimental yet ultimately very polished sounds.

Love it! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Edge a new La-La Land release of the Jerry Goldsmith score. It has a very nice theme.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    It's a fantastic theme. I'd love to hear the expanded release.
  5. NP - Great Composers: Georges Delerue compilation

What an exquisite 2 CD set. Every single track is very good at least, and stunning at best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2010 edited
    christopher wrote
    NP - Great Composers: Georges Delerue compilation

What an exquisite 2 CD set. Every single track is very good at least, and stunning at best.

Very well said beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP:Toy Story & Toy Story 2 - Randy Newman

Preparing for the third.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp