• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2010 edited
    NP: King's Row - Erich Wolfgang Korngold
    Charles Gerhardt conducting the National Philharmonic Orchestra

Perfection!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2010
    Anything with Charles Gerhardt conducting the National Philharmonic Orchestra is perfection itself smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. James Newton Howard - Defiance

Except all the Shyamalan stuff, this is some of very best James Newton Howard material in last decade, I think. Very moving score and a beautiful theme. The action music, if it appears, is not too shabby either, though not as desperate as JNH can be.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It really is beautiful, i agree.
  2. "Emporer of the North" / "Caprice"
    (Frank DeVol)

The nifty sold out Intrada limited edition.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Body Heat - John Barry
    Joel McNeely conducting the London Symphony Orchestra

I should have saved this one for a dark and stormy night but there really is never a bad time to play this brilliant, erotic, smooth jazz score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

(...) this brilliant, erotic, smooth jazz score!

-Erik-

One of the best in its genre.

n.p. HANS ZIMMER - matchstick men

I forgot how good this was!
  3. Alexandre Desplat - New Moon

I love this guy. The first piece is one of his very best. The rest of the score is great too. My favorite moment is actually The Cullens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That score is stunning, and from what it seems, it will outshine all other 2 scores of the franchise, by far.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Joel McNeely conducting the London Symphony Orchestra

I should have saved this one for a dark and stormy night but there really is never a bad time to play this brilliant, erotic, smooth jazz score!

-Erik-

Yeah, a fine summer storm, a glass of whisky and this score love cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Tim, which do you prefer - the re-recording or Barry's original? I've heard that Barry's biggest fans somehow don't like McNeely's re-recording?

I am a huge fan of Debney's version of Somewhere in Time, though I also adore the original.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

(...) this brilliant, erotic, smooth jazz score!

-Erik-

One of the best in its genre.

n.p. HANS ZIMMER - matchstick men

I forgot how good this was!

Totally overlooked score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Tim, which do you prefer - the re-recording or Barry's original? I've heard that Barry's biggest fans somehow don't like McNeely's re-recording?

I am a huge fan of Debney's version of Somewhere in Time, though I also adore the original.

Speaking as the second biggest Barry fan on the forum, I personally think the McNeely recording is vastly preferable to the original recording - there's something really odd with the mixing on that, I think. Whether it's inherent in the recording itself or something to do with the CD mastering, I'm not clever enough to know.
  6. WP: The Last Samurai by Hans Zimmer

Love it, still after all this time, the Red Warrior track is absolutely fantastic, the vocals are the icing on the cake.

NP: King of the Wind by John Scott

lovely, lovely Arabic theme smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Tim, which do you prefer - the re-recording or Barry's original? I've heard that Barry's biggest fans somehow don't like McNeely's re-recording?

Speaking as the second biggest Barry fan on the forum, I personally think the McNeely recording is vastly preferable to the original recording - there's something really odd with the mixing on that, I think. Whether it's inherent in the recording itself or something to do with the CD mastering, I'm not clever enough to know.

Pawel, I agree with James. I've read somewhere that Barry wasn't happy with the mix John Lasseter put out, perhaps one day we'll get a deluxe remixed treatment.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: King of the Wind by John Scott

lovely, lovely Arabic theme smile

Indeed.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Domestic Disturbance (Mancina)

I love this mix of Broken Arrow and basic Instinct.

Mancina came up with some really nice scores.

"Bitter Suite" is really cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Hidalgo - James Newton Howard

Fan-damn-tastic!

-Erik-
  7. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Pawel, I agree with James. I've read somewhere that Barry wasn't happy with the mix John Lasseter put out, perhaps one day we'll get a deluxe remixed treatment.

A huge fan I know tells me about the perfection of the sax performance on the original recording.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2010
    NP: The Luzhin Defence - Alexandre Desplat

First listen... the main theme is really gorgeous! I love the piano riffs with supporting violins. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2010 edited
    NP: The Ghost Writer - Alexandre Desplat

Not bad... but nothing really extraordinary with the exception of the fabulous open track and "Chase on a Ferry." This sounds more like a quirky Elfman however the Desplat signature style is indeed all over this score. The score probably works wonders in the movie but as a stand alone listen I can do without it.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Have you seen the movie? Very good, mature one btw. The music fits the movie perfectly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    No I haven't... but I want to. I really like the quirky main theme! And "The Truth About Ruth" is a fantastic closer! Great slow building cue where Desplat, for only a few minutes, finally comes out of his shell and lets loose! Very nice... but it still doesn't make up for the rest of the score... but it's not as bad as some others that I've heard.

EDIT - Now that I'm done with it, I REALLY want to see the film to hear the score in context! That could be the deal breaker right there because this one is actually teetering on the edge of me tossing it or giving it a few more spins to soak in.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The Truth About Ruth is also excellent! Keep going!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's a good movie, with interesting performances by the lead duo. Politically very up-to date and caustic as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I edited my comments above

NP: The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep - James Newton Howard

I'm a sucker for Celtic themed scores. Howard sets the tone and place right away and then blows you away with a classic action finale and fantastic end credit suite! An over-looked gem!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

I'm a sucker for Celtic themed scores. Howard sets the tone and place right away and then blows you away with a classic action finale and fantastic end credit suite! An over-looked gem!

-Erik-

I overlooked it when it came out too; i found it pleasant but passable, but recently i revisited it and there's very interesting music in there indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I overlooked it when it came out too; i found it pleasant but passable, but recently i revisited it and there's very interesting music in there indeed.

Agree with both of you.
  8. Papillon - Jerry Goldsmith

It's lovely indeed, thanks the absolutely wonderful main theme. But I don't hold it in the highest esteem as some other people. Jerry wrote much worse, but also much better scores. It's very good, but I'd never take it to an island if I could pick 20 Goldsmith scores.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Angel - Philippe Rombi

A modern day classic! Stunning score and one of the best film scores written in the past ten years! Phenomenal!

-Erik-