• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Needful Things - Patrick Doyle

Dark, unsettling and one hell of a creative piece of work. I'd love to see how this music works in the film one day, because it is so mesmerizing on CD. Doyle from that period could do hardly wrong where I'm concerned and it's a sad fact of life he doesn't write like he did in 1993 any more. But that's so true for most composers. I just adore how the album ends, starting with the ingenious 12 minute track until the glorious End titles. Some of Doyle's strongest writing right there. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Angel - Philippe Rombi

A modern day classic! Stunning score and one of the best film scores written in the past ten years! Phenomenal!

smile Interesting. Was listening to this score just the other day, and at the end tossed it from my MP3 player because, as lovely and soft and melodic and sweet as it was, I thought it was just too murmuring for my taste.

I'd certainly never put it in any "best of" list, leave alone that of the last decade!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2010
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

A modern day classic! Stunning score and one of the best film scores written in the past ten years! Phenomenal!

smile Interesting. Was listening to this score just the other day, and at the end tossed it from my MP3 player because, as lovely and soft and melodic and sweet as it was, I thought it was just too murmuring for my taste.

I'd certainly never put it in any "best of" list, leave alone that of the last decade!

It was hands down my favorite score of 2007 and is somewhere near the middle of the pack in my Best of the 2000's list.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    And "The Truth About Ruth" is a fantastic closer! Great slow building cue where Desplat, for only a few minutes, finally comes out of his shell and lets loose! Very nice... but it still doesn't make up for the rest of the score... but it's not as bad as some others that I've heard.

Due to the title, I can't help but imagine how that could would have worked as the climax of J A C Redford's ONE NIGHT WITH THE KING score. (Since the biblical story of Ruth climaxes with the revelation of who she really is.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Absolutely agree with you, it's simply stunning and certainly one of the most charming orchestral gems film music has to showcase in the last years.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I edited my comments above

NP: The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep - James Newton Howard

I'm a sucker for Celtic themed scores. Howard sets the tone and place right away and then blows you away with a classic action finale and fantastic end credit suite! An over-looked gem!

-Erik-

I overlooked it when it came out too; i found it pleasant but passable, but recently i revisited it and there's very interesting music in there indeed.

There's a nice 45 minute album in amongst a 70 minute one. (I don't include the end credits suite... drags on a bit.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

Apart from the really cheesy, happy-go-lucky theme that pops up from time to time in the score, I agree. (Second favourite Rombi score to A Man and His Dog.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Right Stuff - Bill Conti

He may be the most shameless plagiarist in film music history - but Christ almighty, this is seriously stirring, magnificent music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    A man and his dog, absolutely gorgeous. But it's really hard to choose a favorite with Rombi...

5x2
    ou, mais
    and what i consider his best moment to date, "Une hirondelle a fait le printemps"
    are all gorgeous but of course
    Ricky
    a man and his dog
    Angel
    "Joyeux Noël"
    "Jeux d'enfants"
    "Une employée modèle"
    ......so much absolutely BEAUTIFUL music to choose from.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    and what i consider his best moment to date, "Une hirondelle a fait le printemps"
    Ricky
    "Joyeux Noël"
    "Jeux d'enfants"
    "Une employée modèle"

I haven't heard any of these, and I consider Angel his best so far. Are these similar and/or better?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jouyex Noel is THE THIN RED LINE influenced in some of the more dramatic war pieces, but with some added breathtakingly beautiful slow violin / piano led pieces and there's also a women's choir. Very melodic, sad at times, heroic and solemn.

The others are very interesting, not better than ANGEL though.

But i consider "Une hirondelle a fait le printemps" a strong contender for Rombi's best, it's utterly beautiful from note 1 to end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I like Hirondelle far better than Angel.
    What am I missing? confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Who said "far" or "better".....i said it's a strong contender for the no.1 spot.

You heard the score and didn't like it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Who said "far" or "better".....

I did.
    I said "I like Hirondelle far better than Angel.".

i said it's a strong contender for the no.1 spot.

Yes, I saw.
    I myself wouldn't put Angel near the no. 1 spot, though.

You heard the score and didn't like it?

Martijn wrote
    NP: Angel - Philippe Rombi...

...Was listening to this score just the other day, and at the end tossed it from my MP3 player because, as lovely and soft and melodic and sweet as it was, I thought it was just too murmuring for my taste.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh, sorry. My bad shame Damn i need to sleep! Yeah, hirondelle would be my no.1 choice too. It's absolutely gorgeous. Goodnight everyone smile
  3. Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Who said "far" or "better".....

I did.
    I said "I like Hirondelle far better than Angel.".

i said it's a strong contender for the no.1 spot.

Yes, I saw.
    I myself wouldn't put Angel near the no. 1 spot, though.

Given there's only like 10 Rombi scores around, it won't be far from the top, no matter where you put it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Papillon - Jerry Goldsmith

It's lovely indeed, thanks the absolutely wonderful main theme. But I don't hold it in the highest esteem as some other people. Jerry wrote much worse, but also much better scores. It's very good, but I'd never take it to an island if I could pick 20 Goldsmith scores.

Boooo! tongue You're starting to sound like Steven rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    The Time Traveler's Wife - Mychael Danna

Wonderful, I love this side of Danna. It complements the movie perfectly; beautiful and quiet but longing. "See You Again" is one of the best cues of the past decade IMO.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Matt C wrote
    The Time Traveler's Wife - Mychael Danna

Wonderful, I love this side of Danna. It complements the movie perfectly; beautiful and quiet but longing. "See You Again" is one of the best cues of the past decade IMO.

It's gorgeous. My g/f saw the movie as well and said it fitted and elevated it; good movie, she commented.
  4. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

It's lovely indeed, thanks the absolutely wonderful main theme. But I don't hold it in the highest esteem as some other people. Jerry wrote much worse, but also much better scores. It's very good, but I'd never take it to an island if I could pick 20 Goldsmith scores.

You want to anger Steven don't you?

I'm sure you know by now I have my own voice, which most of the times is opposite everyone else's. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Huh?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Huh?

I was very VERY drunk last night.....move along, nothing to see....
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Amelie ~ Yann Tiersen

Every time I listen to it I smile! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I think there's a time and a place to listen to a score like Angel. I find listening to it in the day time is not the best time, nor just listening to it on my iPod. I prefer to wait until the evening, put on my Sennheisers (because that's what I use and I'm better than you) perhaps just before I'm about to go to bed... it's very lovely. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STARSHIP TROOPERS - Basil Poledouris

Brilliant! And fuck loud too! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    put on my Sennheisers (because that's what I use and I'm better than you)

want!!!! angry beer

NP: The Ghost Writer - Alexandre Desplat
    Between this, New Moon, and Fantastic Mr. Fox, I am now officially in love with Desplat. So much so that I am looking forward to his next big score (Potter) more than the current/upcoming scores from Zimmer, Howard, or Powell. And that, for me, is about the highest praise I could possibly give!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I would happily never listen to the new Harry Potter if I could only hear The Burma Conspiracy a.k.a. Largo Winch 2 right now. knight
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I haven't even heard Largo Winch yet, but I'm greatly looking forward to discovering it!!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

I think there's a time and a place to listen to a score like Angel. I find listening to it in the day time is not the best time, nor just listening to it on my iPod. I prefer to wait until the evening, put on my Sennheisers (because that's what I use and I'm better than you) perhaps just before I'm about to go to bed... it's very lovely. smile

Fair enough, Sleeps-With-Sennheisers.
    As common opinion holds this score in so high regard, I will give it another go in more favourable circumstances.
    (Let it never be said I do not keep an open mind: I spent a whole day and a half on re-appreciate Desplat!
    Didn't work, incidentally)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What's with Desplat that you dont' like Martijn?