• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Iron Man 2 (Debney)

Give me "Monaco" and "iron man battle the drones" anytime instead the bland and uninspired Sands of TIme.

This is compose for orchestra!!!!

Am I the only Who likes it?

Really? IM2 is bad mate, really bad. I saw SANDS OF TIME last night at the cinema and the score was kick ass.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Bregt wrote
    The Pick Up Artist | georges delerue

I somewhat never got into this composer

shocked

That's just wrong, Bregt.

Bregt wrote
    but recently... I fell in love. love I love this! spin

Phew! There's still hope then.

The theme is in great. It's fairly typical Delerue, so you're bound to fall for his other themes sooner or later.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Currently listening to Powell's "Robots". Holy crap this is frenetic. No theme has blown me away yet, but the main theme and the eastern european sounding march for the villain are both rather catchy.

My rating after first listen is: ***½

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    plindboe wrote
    Bregt wrote
    The Pick Up Artist | georges delerue

I somewhat never got into this composer

shocked

That's just wrong, Bregt.

biggrin

Perhaps it was because of this compilation? I never heard a full score (well, some time ago I did, but I had the idea in my head it wasn't for me). dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I never really got into Delerue either. I enjoy a great deal of his suites and themes, but I've never really listened to a full album. I think he's brilliant and deserves every bit of adoration he gets from his fans, but I can't listen to his music for too long simply because it's so... emotionally heavy? (A weird phrase, but I can't think of a better one. dizzy )
  1. Steven wrote
    I never really got into Delerue either. I enjoy a great deal of his suites and themes, but I've never really listened to a full album. I think he's brilliant and deserves every bit of adoration he gets from his fans, but I can't listen to his music for too long simply because it's so... emotionally heavy? (A weird phrase, but I can't think of a better one. dizzy )

Emotionally heavy??? Sign me up... biggrin biggrin wink wink

Seriously, I've been trying to get a hold of this man's Agnes of God for a while, but to no avail. Anyone have an inexpensive way to acquire it?
  2. NP: 'The Last Station' and 'Finale' from THE LAST STATION

A classy one-two punch to the heart to end a fine score.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Steven wrote

Emotionally heavy??? Sign me up... biggrin biggrin wink wink

Seriously, I've been trying to get a hold of this man's Agnes of God for a while, but to no avail. Anyone have an inexpensive way to acquire it?

Honestly, I think the only tracks from Agnes of God that I enjoy listening to repeatedly are already represently perfectly on the London Sessions or Great Composers compilations. That suite on the Great Composers disc is unspeakably gorgeous! The rest of the album is pretty low key and no where near on that level, in my opinion. I've found that to be the case on a few of Delerue's albums - the theme is fantastic, but there's not much else to the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: 'The Last Station' and 'Finale' from THE LAST STATION

A classy one-two punch to the heart to end a fine score.

Indeed.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Rudy - Jerry Goldsmith

This is gorgeous. I have always preferred this melodic, emotional side of Goldsmith to his action writing. He should have written much more music like this.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: X-Men 3: The Last Stand - John Powell

The Dark Phoenix theme is absolutely amazing. I don't listen to this score often anymore, but when I do, that theme just stands out brilliantly.
  4. keky wrote
    Rudy - Jerry Goldsmith

This is gorgeous. I have always preferred this melodic, emotional side of Goldsmith to his action writing. He should have written much more music like this.

Rudy has the best of both worlds: a truly heartbreaking emotional main theme and a kickass secondary action theme. Absolutely wonderful, Jerry in his most inspired mode.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Yes, but the action theme in Rudy is so much better than most of his other action themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    As good as Rudy is, I think that's a bit unfair to his other action themes. I could name a dozen other Goldsmith action themes that are just as deserving of praise -if not more so- than Rudy. Out of interest, how many of Goldsmith's other scores are you familiar with?
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Goldsmith has never been a top-favourite of mine. In my collection of hundreds of CDs I think I have only about 15-17 Goldsmith scores.
    He could compose wonderful themes but his action compositions have never worked for me. (You see, I still don't really appreciate Total Recall, his most famous action score.) That's why I love Rudy, Forever Young or Medicine Man much more: they all have great themes and quite melodic action tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Totall Recall is one of his least melodic action scores, and to be honest is not a personal favourite of mine either. I prefer scores like Rambo II, the Trek scores, Lionheart, First Knight, Air Force One, The Mummy, The 13th Warrior, Bad Girls and Mulan, which are all very melodic action scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    First Knight is very good, I forgot about that one. But, for instance, I can't find anything particularly interesting in The 13th Warrior, except the wonderful main theme. The same goes for The Edge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    keky wrote
    But, for instance, I can't find anything particularly interesting in The 13th Warrior, except the wonderful main theme

Blasphemy!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    keky wrote
    First Knight is very good, I forgot about that one. But, for instance, I can't find anything particularly interesting in The 13th Warrior, except the wonderful main theme. The same goes for The Edge.

Fair enough. There's a lot to discover with Goldsmith, more than just action scores. A lot more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Glory - James Horner

It's been a while since I last listened to this score. Now I didn't like it as much as I used to like it - I found it a bit monotonous - , but I still think that the last four tracks are among the most brilliant Horner compositions ever.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    DreamTheater wrote
    keky wrote
    Rudy - Jerry Goldsmith

Rudy has the best of both worlds: a truly heartbreaking emotional main theme and a kickass secondary action theme. Absolutely wonderful, Jerry in his most inspired mode.

I second that.

NP Prince of Persia: Sands of Time Harry Gregson-Williams

There is some excellent material in this score. I'm a bit surprised to hear some beep sounds in this. I love the cue "Raid on Alamut".
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    keky wrote
    But, for instance, I can't find anything particularly interesting in The 13th Warrior, except the wonderful main theme

Blasphemy!

Blashpphemy!!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Tintin wrote
    I'm a bit surprised to hear some beep sounds in this.

Beep sounds?
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Anthony wrote
    Tintin wrote
    I'm a bit surprised to hear some beep sounds in this.

Beep sounds?

Yeah electronic beeps i should have pointed out, like the ones in Spy Game and other scores that he composed. They don't bother me, I was just surprised to hear them in such a film. I'm looking forward to hear it in context too.
  5. keky wrote
    Glory - James Horner
    the last four tracks are among the most brilliant Horner compositions ever.

I agree 100%. Those last four tracks are phenomenal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    christopher wrote
    keky wrote
    Glory - James Horner
    the last four tracks are among the most brilliant Horner compositions ever.

I agree 100%. Those last four tracks are phenomenal.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Today on the docket...

PRINCE OF PERSIA (Harry Gregson-Williams)
    I've had this one for a while now but this is my first complete listen... I'm liking the opening cue a lot!

Then I'll be playing VERTIGO (McNeely's re-recording with the RSNO) One of the greatest scores. THE greatest re-recording of all time!

SPARTACUS (Alex North)
    Just to familiarize myself with the score again as I prep for the release of the complete score my Varese at the end of the month!

LEGENDS OF THE FALL (James Horner)
    Top James Horner score!

THE ALAMO (Dimitri Tiomkin)
    Didn't finish my listen from last week. I have about an hour and 20 minute left to listen to.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

PRINCE OF PERSIA (Harry Gregson-Williams)
    I've had this one for a while now but this is my first complete listen... I'm liking the opening cue a lot!

It's a great opening cue indeed! One of my favourite opening cues of the year together with New Moon I guess

LEGENDS OF THE FALL (James Horner)
    Top James Horner score!

Couldn't agree more! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Alice In Wonderland - Danny Elfman

Absolutely love this score, it seems to grow on me with every listen. From the addictive main theme to the superb action cues, and suspenseful choral material, it's got all the classic Elfman material I like so much. One of the best scores of the year so far, no doubt!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!