• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010
    Nautilus wrote
    I was playing: Hundra (morricone)

Wow! Just wow! In that case I do notice the bad sound quality you said, it's a shame because i don't think Morricone has composed nothing like that after or before. it's really a BIG adventure score. I will come back to this one again!

Indeed, it has some great stuff. It's basically Morricone immitating Poledouris' Conan the barbarian, no doubt demanded by the director, as Conan had been such a big hit just 1 year prior. I'm pretty sure that Hundra is the reason that he got the gig to do Red Sonja, another movie trying to cash in on the success of Conan. If you like Hundra you'll also like Red Sonja, because he basically repeated the same style.

Peter smile
  1. NP: Rudy by Jerry Goldsmith.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    franz_conrad wrote
    lp wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Robin Hood (Streitenfeld)

I can't say I dislike this score. It's simple, but having listened to what Zimmer's score would have sounded like last night (At World's End), I can say it's genuinely better music.

I'm genuinely bored by this score. But I can hear why someone like you would like it.

Please - tell me more about myself. cool

As for MI - Elfman for me. Light on its feet. Giacchino's has some moments ('Humpty Dumpty'), but just feels like any old wall-to-wall all-out (as in, the first action sequence is as loud as the last) action score for the most part.

Wasn't trying to imply things. Based on your previous likes/dislikes, I could hear why you would prefer the sound of Robin Hood over AWE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    KevinSmith wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Band of Brothers (Kamen)

First listening....

Robin Hood Anyone?

I don't know why but I find Michael Kamen's style/scores to be more interchangeable than the average for film composers. For example, Robin Hood, The Three Musketeers, some parts of Band of Brothers and other action scores, have the same sort of particular sound with the brass and strings.

If you were to compare score to score, none of those are alike. PERIOD. But if you want to say that part of Robin Hood does appear in Band of Brothers, then that's fair, since it actually happened. But most of the time, that's called style and they do tend to stay similar, but I will never be able to say that they're interchangeable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Red Sonja (Morricone)

WOW.

Why are there 2 albums? the one with suites?

Hello? Is anyone there? tongue

I was playing : Marco Polo 1 cd realease (Morricone)

Wow. A much better listening experience than the 2 cd realeases!!!!

EPIC! GORGEOUS!!!

NP:The Exercist II (Morricone)

Weird!!!

This is what I like from a composer. Genius!

I understand why he is Hans's Hero.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote

WOW.

For Thor. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    plindboe wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    I was playing: Hundra (morricone)

Wow! Just wow! In that case I do notice the bad sound quality you said, it's a shame because i don't think Morricone has composed nothing like that after or before. it's really a BIG adventure score. I will come back to this one again!

Indeed, it has some great stuff. It's basically Morricone immitating Poledouris' Conan the barbarian, no doubt demanded by the director, as Conan had been such a big hit just 1 year prior. I'm pretty sure that Hundra is the reason that he got the gig to do Red Sonja, another movie trying to cash in on the success of Conan. If you like Hundra you'll also like Red Sonja, because he basically repeated the same style.

Peter smile

Oh! i missed your message!

Let me know your Morricone top 10!

wink
  2. The Spiderwick Chronicles - Horner

First half is a little uninspired but the second half more than makes up for it. From track 8 onward it gets really good. During this part I recognize the classic fantasy Horner I grew up with and have truly missed the past years. The soaring theme is utterly gorgeous and those tracks it is featured in are worth getting the album for.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Nautilus wrote

WOW.

The only official album is the Varese album with the suites. The other one is a bootleg. But Perseverance will release it again this fall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Tombstone - Bruce Broughton

Extraordinary! A raw, mean and ugly score with a contrasting heartfelt emotional core featuring old school western styled themes and motifs. One of film music's greatest western scores! And the sound... OH. MY. GOD! Mike Ross-Trevor is a God!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The Kung-Fu Kid - James Horner

First listen... meh! I'm really tempted to throw on Conti's superior scores instead.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

First listen... meh! I'm really tempted to throw on Conti's superior scores instead.

-Erik-

Do it, or skip to the 3 long tracks.

I was playing: the Good the bad, and the Ugly (Morricone)

The last 2 tracks are gorgeous.

You know,, "ecstasy of Gold" has become one of my all time favourite cues, and "ill trio" is almost as good

I find it a more complete score than Once upon a time In the west.

NP: G.I Joe (Silvestri)

Waiting for A-team. I don't know why is so hated this score. I find it pretty good. An actioc packed score with electronics, guitars and a lot of Silvestri moments.

And A-team sounds the same...Wich is good to me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes they are Jordi, truly sublime film music and unforgettable when married to the images in the film.

I would also point out The Desert, a really underrated ( fuck you Steven tongue ) track in TGTBTU.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Damn and I was kinda looking forward to it. sad

So not in the same league as Spiderwick?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I liked the clips so I'm looking forward to hearing the whole thing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

it's not fantasy, even if Jackie Chan noise look likes that.
  3. What? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I didn't like Spiderwick either.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: G.I Joe (Silvestri)

Waiting for A-team. I don't know why is so hated this score. I find it pretty good. An actioc packed score with electronics, guitars and a lot of Silvestri moments.

For me Silvestri's G.I. Joe is about as bland and uninteresting as you are going get from an action score! Lots of noise no substance.

-Erik-
  4. I admit Spiderwick is good for about half the album. But I enjoy that part very much.

Well there's hope yet then.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ICE STATION ZEBRA - Michel Legrand

Fantastic score full of melody and superb and interesting orchestrations, a great FSM release.
  5. Timmer wrote

Fantastic score full of melody and superb and interesting orchestrations, a great FSM release.

How's the length?
  6. Erik Woods wrote

Extraordinary! A raw, mean and ugly score with a contrasting heartfelt emotional core featuring old school western styled themes and motifs. One of film music's greatest western scores! And the sound... OH. MY. GOD! Mike Ross-Trevor is a God!

-Erik-

How would you compare it to Silverado?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    Timmer wrote

How's the length?

No complaints! Oh! The CD you mean? It's 79.20.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Timmer wrote

How's the length?

No complaints! Oh! The CD you mean? It's 79.20.

wink But how does the length feel, overlong?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, it could do with some trimming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

How would you compare it to Silverado?

Polar opposite scores! Tombstone is far more dramatic and serious while Silverado is fun and full of adventure!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Wich is Conti's best karate Kid score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Wich is Conti's best karate Kid score?

One and two are great! So many highights... and two has that great love theme.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Erik Woods wrote

My final verdict. sleep This is one goes in the forgettable pile. However, the final two minutes are pretty good. That's about it!

Now onto something I've been looking forward to for a very long time...

NP: The Last Airbender - James Newton Howard

Now this James knows how to get shit done!

shocked HOLY SHIT! shocked

-Erik-