• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - the last airbender

Pure magic, right when the orchestra hits the very first notes. JNH is such a singular composer in the genre.

Jodi listen to this again as unbiased as possible. If you seriously think that the last 3 cues are without emotion, you're out of your mind man.

"FLOW LIKE WATER" is the strongest piece i've heard this year so far.

I didn't say that. I said in the very beggining "flow like water" is an amazing cue." The blue spirit" with all the main themes is specially impressive.

I find really amazing tracks on this score, but it doesn't sustain a 66 minutes album. I find the orchestrations a little bit on autopilot.

And I don't find magic in anywhere here...
  1. KevinSmith wrote
    NP: The Pacific by Hans Zimmer & Co

I was very impressed with the restrained patriotism with this score. It's one of MV's best creations yet.

Pity the album is a bit too much on the length side, because it lacks enough diversity to hold 70+ minutes running time. Still a very strong score to me. A 40-50 minutes album would be a strong 4-star score, this is only 3,5. The originality suffers a bit too (Zanelli's material for Sledge/Peleliu is based *both* on Crimson Tide and The Thin Red Line)

It works pretty nicely in the movie, it's rather strong there. To me it's the best RC dramatic score of course, except for Zimmer's solo efforts.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - the last airbender

Pure magic, right when the orchestra hits the very first notes. JNH is such a singular composer in the genre.

M. Night Shyamalan is a genre?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    keky wrote
    The Big Country - Jerome Moross

I bought this from Thor some days after watching the movie the first time. It's absolutely wonderful. So many themes and emotions. Now that I heard it fully on album I understand why it's considered a classic. It really is.

Best score. Ever.
  2. PawelStroinski wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

I was very impressed with the restrained patriotism with this score. It's one of MV's best creations yet.

Pity the album is a bit too much on the length side, because it lacks enough diversity to hold 70+ minutes running time. Still a very strong score to me. A 40-50 minutes album would be a strong 4-star score, this is only 3,5. The originality suffers a bit too (Zanelli's material for Sledge/Peleliu is based *both* on Crimson Tide and The Thin Red Line)

It works pretty nicely in the movie, it's rather strong there. To me it's the best RC dramatic score of course, except for Zimmer's solo efforts.

So this one needs diversity, and Batman needs more consistency? wink
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    keky wrote

I bought this from Thor some days after watching the movie the first time. It's absolutely wonderful. So many themes and emotions. Now that I heard it fully on album I understand why it's considered a classic. It really is.

Best score. Ever.

I'm not so sure but it's certainly up there with the greatest.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Don Quixote - Richard Hartley

(Obviously) strongly Spanish-influenced, hyper-Romantic take on the familiar material.
    As with many of Hartley's CD releases it's too long (at 70+ minutes), but with some judicious editing (taking out most of the Powell-esquely short cues- bringing it down to an hour, makes for a lovely, sweet, emotional and very entertaining listen.

There's a strong thematic style throughout, and the range of emotions and energy is diverse and alternating enough to make this a very coherent listen. Hartley certainly -once again- proves himself to be a strong contender in the Golden Age style of powerful, thematic and classically styled composition.
    A wonderful score!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    keky wrote

Best score. Ever.

No, not by a long shot.
    BUT definitely one of the best THEMES ever.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    But there are so much more fine stuff in this score than just the main theme. I think it truly deserve its classic status.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    KevinSmith wrote

Wow.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    keky wrote
    But there are so much more fine stuff in this score than just the main theme. I think it truly deserve its classic status.

Sure! It's just not the best score ever.

(In my opinion.
    Though of course it's generally held that I'm always right)
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I don't even know if such a thing exists that the best score ever. I know for sure that I wouldn't be able to name one score the best ever from my collection. (And I talk about only my collection!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Wow.

The Pacific, Modern Warfare 2 and Henri IV are the worst albums with Zimmer name on it (MARSELUS doesn't matter how they works in the context! ).

Lorne Balfe and Henri Jackman are probably the worst additional "composers" from Zimmer's factory ever.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Anthony wrote
    keky wrote

Best score. Ever.

No, not by a long shot.
    BUT definitely one of the best THEMES ever.

Are you always wrong or were you just born that way? OF COURSE it's one of the BEST SCORES EVER yer nit-wit.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    "One of the" would not be "the".
    Ipso facto, I am right.
    Again.
    Of course.

Q.E.D.

(NO, STEVEN. Not Quasar Emulsion Deviations. Goddamn Trekkie.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Quite Emphatically Deluded.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    keky wrote
    I don't even know if such a thing exists that the best score ever. I know for sure that I wouldn't be able to name one score the best ever from my collection. (And I talk about only my collection!)

For me that's easy... raiders of the lost ark... shhhhhh, don't tell anyone... but The Big Country is one of the best ever! And if you think it's the best ever then more power to ya!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    keky wrote

For me that's easy... raiders of the lost ark... shhhhhh, don't tell anyone... but The Big Country is one of the best ever! And if you think it's the best ever then more power to ya!

-Erik-

I honestly couldn't say which is the best ever, Erik, but yeah, Raiders is definitely up there with them, no doubt about it.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Wow.

Wow what?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Of COURSE I can.
    It's Star Wars.
    Geez. rolleyes

Or Conan.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Of COURSE I can.
    It's Star Wars.
    Geez. rolleyes

Or Conan.

biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT'S FANTASY FRIDAY!

On the docket today...

First I will begin with a very loud listen to two selection from The Last Airbender - Airbender Suite and Flow Like Water!

I'll then move onto two suites from Bernard Herrmann's The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad and Jason and the Argonauts

Michael Kamen's Highlander is next followed by...

Craig Safan's brilliant The Last Starfighter and one of the best video games I've ever heard; Jeremy Soule's Guild Wars: Eye of the North.

I will end the day with another video game score - Bruce Broughton's Heart of Darkness.

That'll do pig! That'll do.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

First I will begin with a very loud listen to two selection from The Last Airbender - Airbender Suite and Flow Like Water!

-Erik-

Because the rest is boring, right ?
  4. Nautilus wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Last Airbender
    I think JNH just showed Zimmer how you do 'Chevalliers de Sangreal'. (Good as that track is, this one pretty much does the same thing better.)

excuse me????????????????

You may leave.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    franz_conrad wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I think JNH just showed Zimmer how you do 'Chevalliers de Sangreal'. (Good as that track is, this one pretty much does the same thing better.)

You may leave.

Good one!

No, seriously. You are out of your MIND!

Zimmer does this kind of stuff better than anyone. He is a genius. He is the man!
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Nautilus wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

You may leave.

Good one!

No, seriously. You are out of your MIND!

Zimmer does this kind of stuff better than anyone. He is a genius. He is the man!

Yeah, Hans is all emotions but the Newt's music is so refined.

NP The Last Airbender
    punk

Kick ass. This score is one more example why I love film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Tintin wrote

Yeah, Hans is all emotions but the Newt's music is so refined.

Yes. That is true. I said before newton Howard is a perfect blend of the "old school" composers and contemporany techniques of composition.

being said that, Zimmer is much more crazy and inventive and that makes him my man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

No... I'm listening to my two favorite tracks and then moving onto the rest. I've played Airbender 3 times already and love it!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

No... I'm listening to my two favorite tracks and then moving onto the rest. I've played Airbender 3 times already and love it!

-Erik-

I can't belive you. A man like you...

a score where the themes are from Elfman's Hulk and Inception trailer (Ok, I'm over reacting here). The orchestrations so simplistic, and just 4 tracks are really well devoloped....

I have the same problems that I have with King Kong. Well, Probably I like much more Airbender, but I talk about the orchestrations and thematic devolopement.

I'm watching my ESB cd wich is on front of me, and I'm really tempted to stop this boring JNH score and listen again this William's masterpiece. " battle of hoth"!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Any real reason why you shouldn't?
    I have interrupted many and varied a listen because a sudden craving for Star Wars compelled me towards Williams' timeless masterworks.

It's not a competition.
    Just about how to maximise enjoyment out of life.
    Something we do far too little.

Well. I do that far too little, at any rate.

Edit: HEY! You edited your post!
    You SAID you were tempted to go and listen to Empire Strikes Back instead.
    Don't deny it!
    I've seen it!