• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    LSH wrote
    NP: WHITE OLEANDER - Thomas Newman

Newman writes some of the most subtle yet evocative music around and this effort really is no exception. I understand White Oleander is not his most popular or memorable score but I really love it. Slow, ethereal and dreamy... perfect bedtime listening.

Night night.

cool

Very touching American Beauty-esque score indeed. God i miss his music these days.

I love the title track...the definition of soft.

I really hope he doesn't go on hiatus. In the past 2 years, he's only scored 3-4 movies...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2010
    The king of the short cues has to be Thomas Newman. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote

Ahhhh, yeah, it would have been very annoying to listen to the short cues :coughJOHNPOWELLcough: ....

Actually I don't think Powell usually creates short cues, more often than not he just splits them up into short tracks on his albums.

I agree. I wish he didn't though. It makes it hard to listen to any tracks individually since the flow would be harshly interrupted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DemonStar wrote
    The king of the short cues has to be Thomas Newman. tongue

And then most of those short cues are better listened to inside the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2010 edited
    NP: Robin Hood - Marc Streitenfeld

Much more interesting than I expected. I like it. smile

(I am a sucker for Zimmer-ish "power ostinatos" and other similar cheap emotional tricks which this score has tons of) punk
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Scribe wrote
    Panthera wrote
    Was there ever a release of the various orchestral pieces composed for the Beijing Olympics?

I have about ten minutes of Tan Dun's music for the opening ceremony, from a disc set released only in China.

What was the disc set called? Hopefully it has other music for the opening ceremony as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2010
    Um, "Music from the Opening Ceremonies?" cool tongue

check your inbox
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Harry Potter... 3 John Williams

I'm so glad that JK whatsherface decided to put pen to paper all those years ago... otherwise we might never have ended up with 'Buckbeak's Flight'.

It's not that I really hate Harry Potter - I just really love that track.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    In general I love Eastern Asian sounding music. Does the teaser music that was in The Last Airbender teaser reflect the score as a whole?

That music was awesome.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Harry Potter... 3 John Williams

I'm so glad that JK whatsherface decided to put pen to paper all those years ago... otherwise we might never have ended up with 'Buckbeak's Flight'.

It's not that I really hate Harry Potter - I just really love that track.

Yup!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2010 edited
    The main theme the man wrote for the series is mindblowing. One of the last good ol' elegant leitmotifs so far in the film music medium. The rest of the material isn't really echoing to me, and of course i couldn't care less for the rest of the composers' contributions in the series so far.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Martijn wrote
    Upgrade? confused Is there a new version out? Is it any different from the earlier one?

La-La Land Records have recently put out a "premier retail" release of this Lewis Title. However, there's no additional music. The sound is probably improved. That's about it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. NP: J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan - Benjamin Wallfisch

Wallfisch's stab at the timeless story of Peter Pan is a worthy addition to the musical legacy. From what I've heard so far, it's a lot more mysterious than some of the previous scores for this story. Dramatic when required, featuring wordless choir and some ethnic colourings (duduk?) it's an enjoyable listen. "Flight To Neverland", for example, is an uplifting listen whereas "Captain Hook" veers of into dissonant soundscapes, and "Song of The Mermaids" features a haunting female soloist that lures you into a trance!

I had to Google this and apparently this production is a "multimedia play" that permiered in London last year and is currently on a run in San Francisco
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ow! There's another Wallfisch score. Where is it released?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Gorillas in the Mist - Maurice Jarre

Too bad the orchestral bits are somewhat ruined by the clearly aged 80s' electronics.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  4. Back to the Future - Silvestri

Playing this LOUD !!!!

Absolutely overflowing with great ideas.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    The Family Man - Danny Elfman

Maybe I'm just not in the right mood right now, because I don't think it's one of the best scores of 2000. But then again, I'm more cynic about Elfman's soft choir and such than most.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Who said it was one of the best of 2000?

REINHOLD HEIL, JOHNNY KLIMEK, TOM TYKWER - Das perfum

Magnificent. During the ending of the movie, in the big final scene, the music has the leading the role and it's absolutely breathtaking.
    Merlin - Trevor Jones

Typically for a Trevor Jones score, the main theme is terrific, and the underscore is decent/good. However, the problem with this album is that it is 20 minutes too long.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Magnificent. During the ending of the movie, in the big final scene, the music has the leading the role and it's absolutely breathtaking.

In the top 10 scores of the 00's IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It surely is. It's absolutely stunning what these people came with in such a decade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

In the top 10 scores of the 00's IMO.

Didn't make my list... damn good score though.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2010 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Ow! There's another Wallfisch score. Where is it released?

At the moment, it's just as a download as far as I can tell. eMusic and iTunes. And now Amazon and Play.com.
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2010
    Ses Plus Celebres Musiques De Films - Vladimir Cosma
    Just lovely!
  5. Music by Bruce Babcock

Promotional CD features multiple cues from TV series he did episodes on:
    "Father Dowling"
    "Matlock"
    "Murder, She Wrote"
    "Diagnosis Murder"
    "The Guns of Paradise" (refered to simply as "Paradise" in some places)

And some pieces in the final track, simply titled "London Orchestral Sketches" -- I have no idea what it went to.

Anyway, a very good CD with some wonderful TV scoring.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHN BARRY - until september

On vinyl, thanks to Timmer beer

Such a lovely, nostalgic score. Beautiful orchestral score led by piano, flutes, harp and acoustic guitar.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    JOHN BARRY - until september

On vinyl, thanks to Timmer beer

Such a lovely, nostalgic score. Beautiful orchestral score led by piano, flutes, harp and acoustic guitar.

beer

It also includes some dreamy electric guitar and at least one track is sax led.

I think it's a gorgeous score, incredibly varied and only now seems to be getting the kudos it deserves after being a very underrated ( or maybe just un-heard of? ) score for many years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I tried it. It's not for me. shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I tried it. It's not for me. shame

I don't think I've ever been so surprised in all my life rolleyes
  6. Return of the Jedi - John Williams

"The Battle of Endor II"...WOW!! shocked shocked