• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010 edited
    NP: Medal of Honor - Michael Giacchino

A masterpiece and one of the greatest scores these ears have ever heard!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010
    Steven wrote
    Thomas Newman is one of the finest composers ever to have worked in Hollywood. That's as much a fact as the earth is round. (But then I guess if his music's not for you, it's not for you.)

True. If only more composers wrote like Newman, especially the up to 2005 Newman.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    The Perfect Storm James Horner

[blue]Waiting for replies for temporary summer job applications, so in the meantime I'll soak in the sun and listen to one of my favourite scores.

One of the (many) Horner works that I love to listen since minute one until the end without skipping a single second. Another one would be Legends of the Fall. Horner at his best.

Agree, especially on the first. Great, kick-ass score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Ratatouille - Michael Giacchino

Abso-freaking-lutely delightful and one of Giacchino's best film scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    The Secret of Roan Inish - Mason Daring

Some "traditional Irish music" background tracks, and some really lovely music on the others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    lp wrote
    Are you sure that the lack of flow is not because of the apparent temp track? Horner isn't just copying and pasting directly from his old scores into the Avatar score, he had to add Adiemus and Hans Zimmer to his repertoire as well.

It seems to me that the Zimmer-ish chord progressions and strings have been around since Balto, and the Adiemus-like choir since at least Mighty Joe Young. They're just...more pronounced?...in Avatar. Wouldn't you agree? Or am I seeing too close a similarity there?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    WP: 12 Rounds (Complete) - Trevor Rabin.
    Sort of a mix of The 6th Day and National Treasure. Fun, nothing new.

NP: Season of the Witch - Atli the Viking
    Also fun, more melodic than The Fourth Kind but very in keeping with Atli's style.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Ratatouille - Michael Giacchino

Abso-freaking-lutely delightful and one of Giacchino's best film scores.

-Erik-

That is my favorite thing that he has written - really wonderful!

Just played: S*P*Y*S - Jerry Goldsmith
    Holy cow. That has to be the strangest music I've ever heard. dizzy I didn't know Goldsmith had that in him. Is anyone here familiar with that score? This is one of those things you have to hear at least once just for the experience. It had me laughing out loud several times.
  2. More weird than 'Alien Nation'? It's one of those 80s synth scores by Jerry, but with really goofy ideas going on in it. I prefer him to be consistent rather than goofy though...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010 edited
    I was playing : A-team (silvestri)

Since no one is posting about this score, I guess everyone thinks like me. it's an uninspired and on autopilot score.

Even the A-team theme wich appears into the 3 minutes mark in the last track it's arranged/adapted without any kind of passion.

NP:Speed 2 (mancina)

Welcome back to the Media Ventures era! Only listening cool motifs and guitars rifs.

No complexity, just fun! punk

I love the Caribbean theme in the middle of "The Harbour" track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Speed 2 (mancina)

Welcome back to the Media Ventures era! Only listening cool motifs and guitars rifs.

No complexity, just fun! punk

Just got the cd today and listening to it has inspired me to watch the movie. Terrible, terrible mistake. Still, good, very good score. As you say, cool motifs, guitar riffs...MV's Golden Age.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    More weird than 'Alien Nation'? It's one of those 80s synth scores by Jerry, but with really goofy ideas going on in it. I prefer him to be consistent rather than goofy though...

I haven't heard Alien Nation, so I can't really comment. Let me elaborate on S*P*Y*S a little and you can tell me if it sounds less weird than Alien Nation. It is full of electronics, and very weird and outdated sounding ones. Are you familiar at all with Disney's "Main Street Electrical Parade" music? Or some of STYX's more spastic synth stuff? It sounds like that, only with a polka beat underneath. Accordians, tuba, electric bass, the works. And then there are the people who whisper "SPIES!" really harshly and at random points throughout. And that's just the first track! The second track is a full-on traditional Russian dance piece (I can just see the mustachioed, fur hat wearing guys kicking now) complete with the regular chanting of "HEY!" One track opens with a very chinese sounding arrangement of the opening 8 notes of Beethoven's 5th. "Hail to the Chief" is also briefly quoted (on solo tuba I believe) later on, as are at least two more classical melodies that I recognized. Incredibly odd music. But every time I heard "SPIES!" I have to laugh.
  4. ^

OK, this I gotta hear. If only for comic value. Your description boggles the mind. biggrin

The Fugitive - James Newton Howard

Call me old-school but I prefer this sound over the later, more complex 'The Last Airbender' type of sound. This has quite a few catchy melodies and one great action cue. But the score ain't exactly memorable as a whole. He wrote more riveting and inspired stuff before and since then. Thanks to Thor for making me acquire this. wave
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote

Call me old-school but I prefer this sound over the later, more complex 'The Last Airbender' type of sound.

lol

You never cease to amaze me! I really truly mean that. biggrin biggrin
  5. Ok I think I have now lost all credibility. My name is now forever tainted.
  6. Ok, so I exaggerated a little with 'The Fugitive', but I wasn't lying if I said that his 90s sound did more for me personally. (scores such as Grand Canyon, Alive, Wyatt Earp, Waterworld, Devil's Advocate, The Postman). All scores I did and will play more often than TLA.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ratatouille - Michael Giacchino

Wonderful score. Absolutely delightful.
  7. The Edge (La La land) Goldsmith

I'm not generally a C&C guy but this is just outstanding!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010
    John Chambers wrote
    The Edge (La La land) Goldsmith

I'm not generally a C&C guy but this is just outstanding!

Indeed! I never considered this one for a C&C as the original album is really well done but this hour long presentation showcases Goldsmith fantastic score the way it should be heard. I love the alternate cues as well!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Take A Hard Ride - Goldsmith

This is one of Goldsmith's very best western scores! Love the main theme.
    As with most of his western scores he likes to include the harmonica. I'm a bit over the harmonica.
    Not a great fan of that sound. But I know it's appropriate for the whole "cowboy/western' theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    ^

OK, this I gotta hear. If only for comic value. Your description boggles the mind. biggrin

Call me old-school but I prefer this sound over the later, more complex 'The Last Airbender' type of sound. This has quite a few catchy melodies and one great action cue. But the score ain't exactly memorable as a whole. He wrote more riveting and inspired stuff before and since then. Thanks to Thor for making me acquire this. wave

Well, that was on tv last night and couldn't help to make the comparison myself, but not in favor of the early years mind you....maybe because it sounds as childish and plain as something the early Zimmer / RC would have written back then? Really, is there a score which is slightly complex and, well, proper music, that you also like ? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Ok, so I exaggerated a little with 'The Fugitive', but I wasn't lying if I said that his 90s sound did more for me personally. (scores such as Grand Canyon, Alive, Wyatt Earp, Waterworld, Devil's Advocate, The Postman). All scores I did and will play more often than TLA.

Devil's Advocate, The Postman are no 90's sound, at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010 edited
    MICHAEL GIACCHINO - lost season 5

Love it, raw and violent, unlike the more melodic and dramatic previous seasons. the 6th is a mixture i think, can't wait to listen to that CD. Interesting fact is that i don't remember so much music in the 5th season, it's interesting how a cd can provide a different experience overall. I am already nostalgic of the series and the score cd's are already a great accompaniment!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    CHRISTOPHER GORDON's Daybreakers

This man's music has character and identity and he's one of the few these days who can write as intelligently and simultaneously musically, as Gordon does. Another similar but rather simplistic in comparison and different in philosophy - score comes in mind, BRIAN TYLER's overlooked THE KILLING ROOM from last year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Aurore - Michel Cusson

Even though it's piano driven (which is generally not my direct preference) this is a beautiful score, with a laid back melodious tone that draws you in immediately. This score is very comfortable and accessible. Its classical style (with a very subtle jazzy undertone: just listen to what that double bass is doing) is a very welcome breath of fresh air in a time of electronic violence.

This gentle score is a perfect listen for a summer's day: it's just utterly lovely.
    It also hits home -once again- the somewhat disconcerting fact that Tintin really, really has an uncanny knack of correctly assessing people's musical tastes.

Bravo, mon brave, et merci encore une fois!
    kiss beer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Ok, so I exaggerated a little with 'The Fugitive', but I wasn't lying if I said that his 90s sound did more for me personally. (scores such as Grand Canyon, Alive, Wyatt Earp, Waterworld, Devil's Advocate, The Postman). All scores I did and will play more often than TLA.

Devil's Advocate, The Postman are no 90's sound, at all.

What do you mean by that? They were written in the 90s, when big thematic ideas were still very much present and one epic score was still written every month.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They don't have a 90's sound at all. They were written in the last years of the decade when film music had already began departing from that sound you describe. Especially the devil's advocate could have been written today with no difference at all. They certainly don't sound like the fugitive which you mentioned before.
  9. Avatar - Horner

I'm willing to see past the flaws and accept this score for what it is and what it supports in the film. So I'm liking it more than previous listens, which is a good thing. It's enjoyable enough but nowhere near the great classics Horner has done in the past.

The 'War' cue still feels like a missed opportunity though and it's one of the least interesting 'long dramatic cues' he has done. I mean it doesn't build up to anything at all and feels too chaotic in the end. It's far removed from the expertly crafted "Our Best Hope" (Deep Impact), "The Launch" (Apollo 13) or "Leaving No Witnesses" (Mask of Zorro), to name but a few examples.

But the good moments do make up for it somewhat. smile
  10. Christodoulides wrote
    They don't have a 90's sound.

Once again, explain what you mean by that? confused

If you say they sound like the 80s I'd settle for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    re-read what i wrote and edited