• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007
    One of the finest composers of the "veteran generation" for sure. His mastery of the orchestra gets new exposure in a new theme park ride at Epcot:

SPACESHIP EARTH

Which is re-opening with a brand new score for orchestra and choir by Bruce!

More info at http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business … 6256.story

mc
  1. I want a new film score from him... slant
  2. Yeah, an underrated composer for sure.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007
    Broughton's score for Young Sherlock Holmes blew me away back in 1985.
    I thrashed the LP to death!
    It was heaven getting the complete score a few years back.
    So many wonderful cues.
    To this day it's my favorite Broughton score.
    The Boy Who Could Fly and Silverado come close though.
    We need more scores from this great composer.

I've met his brother Bill Broughton (he lived here in Adelaide for a couple of years). Bill (also a great musician) spoke very fondly of his dear brother. He even conducted the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra a few years back and had them perform Bruce's theme for JAG.
  3. Yeah, Young Sherlock Holmes is my favourite, too. I can´t say how many times I heard that one, and i even love the movie, very, very much. It is totally understandable how writer Chris Columbus ended up directing Potter 1 & 2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2007
    Lost In Space will always remain my favourite Broughton score, and one of my top ten scores of all time. Though Young Sherlock Holmes is very close, and I think it is the better score of the two (that score is a showcase on how to use themes properly).

Shit, I'm gonna go listen me some Broughton....
  4. I to love this composer. Especially Lost in Space but also his work for Disney Themeparks with in number one position: Visionarium.

Regards,
    Mario
    It's life Jim!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2008
    INTRADA Announces:

THE BLUE & THE GRAY
    Composed and Conducted by BRUCE BROUGHTON
    INTRADA Special Collection Volume 57

1982 was a turning point for composer Bruce Broughton. Prior to 1982 he had delivered world class compositions for such TV series as Hawaii 5-0, Buck Rogers, Dallas, and the Emmy-nominated TV movie Killjoy. The Blue & the Gray heralded Broughton from working in television, to working in motion pictures when he made the leap to the big screen just the following year. Miniseries were enjoying a surge in popularity and one inside source claimed that The Blue & the Gray was "the most ambitions project [CBS] had undertaken."

While the epic Civil War story touches upon spectacle and grand military strategy, most of story is told from viewpoint of the lowly perspective of ordinary men and women. Broughton's approach was to highlight the personal sense of the characters as they experience the war. The main theme and the most of the secondary themes are built, in Broughton's words, "around more of a traditional 19th century song style, not unlike Stephen Foster or George F. Root, two popular song writers of the time." The main title is big, sweeping and grand, featuring full orchestra and lays out the main theme that is heard in many guises throughout the lengthy score. The score is in many ways a precursor to SILVERADO, with action and adventure coming through in key moments. For the more personal moments, focusing on these farm men and women, Broughton augments the orchestra with folk instruments like guitar, fiddle, harmonica, Jew's harp and dulcimer. The cumulative effect is to give the score a powerful element of rural authenticity.

The score to THE BLUE AND THE GRAY is done with the cooperation of Sony Pictures and is presented complete on a 2-CD set from the original stereo session masters. This release is limited to 2000 albums.

INTRADA Special Collection - Volume 57
    IN STOCK NOW
    For cover art, track listing, and sound samples, please visit
    http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACC … id.5670/.f

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Yep. I am ordering this, along with Tombstone, silverado, monster squad & harry and the hendersons....and most likely rambo.

damn.
  5. I wish that Broughton's work was more appealing to me than it actually is, but I just can't see it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yeah, you'd think his work would be amazing...but there's just something about it that puts me off completly. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2008 edited
    Bruce Broughton's The Ice Pirates now available for the very first time on CD.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=9844

I'd say fans of his ChiPs styled music will like this.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2008
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Hmm. Is it an 80s cheese-fest?

Listen to the samples... I'd say "yes!"

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorjedizim
    ICE PIRATES? ICE PIRATES?? ICE PIRATES!!! Whoo Hoo!!! I loved this movie when I was younger...still find it amusing. I think I might have to jump on this one!!
    ---- Well, I wouldn't argue that it wasn't a no holds barred, adrenaline fueled thrill ride. But, there is no way you can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I love Broughton. But this is a dreadful score if my memory serves me.
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Hmm. Is it an 80s cheese-fest?

Listen to the samples... I'd say "yes!"

-Erik-

I couldn't even get through the first clip!! :shudder:

Thanks FSM...you've saved me some more cash. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. First clip in and the theme sounds almost exactly like Dennis McCarthy's un-used theme to "Star Trek: The Next Generation".

I stopped listening a few cues in. It's too light in mood, and the orchestrations a little too thin for my taste.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2008 edited
    As a kid, I even taped that movie on audio because I wanted to have the main theme. When I listened to the sound samples yesterday however, I almost wanted to tear my ears out. God, how taste changes through the ages...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2008
    Ice Pirates? Isn't that that film that uses Battlestar Galactica stock footage?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2008 edited
    Hm, I only know about ships from Silent Running appearing in the Galactica fleet (or the other way around), but its such a long time since I saw Ice Pirates that I can´t rule that one out either.

BTW, to all kids born in the Eighties, we´re talking about Galactica Classic, of course... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    There's any other Galactica? shocked

wink

(Incidentally, I was mistaken: the movie I meant was Space Mutiny... awful piece of work. vomit )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Martijn wrote
    There's any other Galactica? shocked

wink

Okay, I got the joke, but you ARE watching the new series, I hope, because it´s the best SF series around, and a pretty great drama show as well.

(Incidentally, I was mistaken: the movie I meant was Space Mutiny... awful piece of work. vomit )

Don´t know it, and I get the idea that´s not a problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    you ARE watching the new series, I hope, because it´s the best SF series around, and a pretty great drama show as well.

It's one of those rare occasions where I did a complete flip-flop from my previous and generally dearly held, concrete-reinforced preconceptions.

With all the aspects they were announcing to be re-imagening, I was so ready to utterly blast this show at first viewing... and I just ended up being completely impressed. A very few minor issues notwithstanding this, I think, may be one of the very best resurrections of an old show/series/idea I have ever had the fortune to witness.
    Even Star Trek The Next Generation took three full seasons to convince me, Battlestar Galactica had me hooked after the iniial mini series.
    And it's SO well acted too.
    Excellent show!

Don´t know it, and I get the idea that´s not a problem.

KEEP it that way.
    I'm scarred for life.
  9. Martijn wrote
    And it's SO well acted too.

Agreed. It´s a shame this fact is constantly overlooked at the Emmys, but there´s nothing one can do about that. At least they got the Peabody Award.

KEEP it that way.
    I'm scarred for life.

Ouch. Thanks for the hint. I´ll take it.
  10. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

why is this such a cheesy thing? Why couldn't this be a Broughton adventure score in the rollicking orchestral fun he can deliver it?

confused
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  11. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I'd say not.

I can't believe all the hype I read about this score over the years -- it's just perposterous.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008 edited
    The new release from Intrada...

THE FIRST OLYMPICS : ATHENS 1896

Looks very interesting to me.

http://store.intrada.com/
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008 edited
    Me too apart from the rip-off price. $30 for less-than-an-hour score?
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008
    it looks interesting but Im kinda tapped out right now, at least until next month.
    Goldsmith Rules!!