• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010 edited
    TV Academy humming and hawing
    Music branch undecided on main title theme Emmy

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111801 … 4&cs=1

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. I have a bad feeling about this...

At least some of them seem to have the heart at the right place.

Thanks for posting this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2010
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Thanks for posting this.

My pleasure... and I'm shocked that NO ONE else has a comment on the issue. Maybe I need to put Zimmer sucks in the thread title to get some attention.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. There doesn't seem to be as much emphasis on main title themes in TV nowadays as there used to be. It's difficult to remember any "catchy" theme tunes from recent shows - and the ones that are memorable are still only "soundbites" (Fringe anyone?)

Older theme tunes were much more involved: 30 seconds on TV but when you heard them away from these shows they tended to be much extended - 2-3 minutes (and with a middle bridging section that usually didn't like as much as the main melody.)

A lot of programme makers today don't really seem to see the title theme as being much of an ID to the show.

So, I'm not really surprised that there's talk of this award being scrapped.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Thanks for posting this.

My pleasure... and I'm shocked that NO ONE else has a comment on the issue. Maybe I need to put Zimmer sucks in the thread title to get some attention.

I hope you noticed that you didn´t have to do that to get mine. wink

And yes, I´m not surprised that this discussion is going on between the officials, too, with so few good main titles floating around. But I am not surprised that it didn´t spawn a lengthy discussion at this place either, because I think we will all agree that a good MT really works as an identity marker for a show. Not much to discuss or comment on.

God, can anyone imagine Trek without its themes? (oh, look what happened to Enterprise, BTW wink )

I couldn´t believe they didn´t do a theme for Legend of the Seeker, for example...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    A lot of programme makers today don't really seem to see the title theme as being much of an ID to the show.

Maybe, but there are other ways to create a show's ident without a catchy tune. The LOST logo is one example....just the title appearing ominously from a black background and a single sustained chord that grows in intensity. It's certainly not catchy, but it's very iconic.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I agree completely, Thor. There doesn't need to be a theme, it could just even be a sound.

Something like Chris Young's Hellraiser score has that sort of clanking motif that's just a sound but it's a sound that immediately shouts "Hellraiser!"- e.g., "The Lament Configuration".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2010 edited
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Maybe, but there are other ways to create a show's ident without a catchy tune. The LOST logo is one example....just the title appearing ominously from a black background and a single sustained chord that grows in intensity. It's certainly not catchy, but it's very iconic.

But the other music in Lost is low-key as well... it wouldn't make sense to have a catchy theme tune and the rest of the show's music not be catchy.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.