• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2010
    Got a new book with 2500 questions about Hollywood. Thought it would be fun to see how much we don't know. The first question is

Which of the following is not a film starring Bill Cosby and directed by Sidney Poiter?
    a....Ghost Dad
    b....A Piece of the Action
    c....Hickey & Boggs
    d....Uptown Saturday Night
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. I have a vague recollection that both Ghost Dad and Hickey & Boggs starred Bill Cosby so I'll go with Uptown Saturday Night.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll go with Uptown Saturday Night.

....because Alan said so. shame
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I just want to say that I haven't Googled or anything - just from memory and instinct!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This is exactly the way it should be done. The only thing you'll get out of this is a gold star!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There are some really cool questions in this book which I got for $5.00. And the first question I got wrong.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2010
    The correct answer is C
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Which of these Best Pictures won no Oscar for directing or acting
    a....The Great Ziegfield
    b....Cavalcade
    c....The Life of Emile Zola
    d....Chariots of Fire
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll have to guess on this one Tom, I can discount Chariots of Fire and will guess at Cavalcade.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    glad you got the memo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I would encourage all to participate in this fun little game. Actually I got the second question right.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I guess I'm not obsessed with Hollywood, as I have no idea what the answer is. I haven't even heard of the first three movies. But might as well take a guess:

A

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010
    Zola is a must see and is available at most libraries. An interesting score also.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    b
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. I notice that no one is waiting for my suggestion after my success with the first question! rolleyes wink

I only recognise Chariots of Fire - and I'll go with Tim's recommendation and discount it from the choices.

And I'll go with Peter: A - The Great Ziegfield
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, I think we all know Vangelis won an Oscar for the score so it's a no-brainer counting out Chariots of Fire.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Read the question carefully
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010 edited
    Best Picture that didn't win an Oscar for directing or acting.

Chariots of Fire fits that description. Warren Betty won for best director (Reds) and Ian Holm was the only actor up for a nomination (lost to an actor from Arthur... what's his name?) Sorry... I know a lot about this awards year because it's the year Raiders was screwed out of everything!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Didn't David-what's-his-name not win a direction award for Chariots of Fire? All the coverage he had at the time made me think that he had!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010 edited
    WARREN BETTY won for Reds! Hugh Hudson was the director of Chariots of Fire. David what's his name was the producer who won the Oscar for best picture.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    WARREN BETTY won for Reds! Hugh Hudson was the director of Chariots of Fire. David what's his name was the producer who won the Oscar for best picture.

-Erik-

...Memphis Belle, The Mission, The Killing Fields.

David Puttnam.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010
    Well done Erik!!!! Chariots of Fire is the correct answer.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Which of these films was not directed by the talented Albert Brooks
    a....The Muse
    b....The Scout
    c....Mother
    d....Lost in America
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I've no idea who Albert Brooks is or what any of those movies are, so I'll go with

B

Peter dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll go for D.

But yet again I have no idea whatsoever.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Best Picture that didn't win an Oscar for directing or acting.

Chariots of Fire fits that description. Warren Betty won for best director (Reds) and Ian Holm was the only actor up for a nomination (lost to an actor from Arthur... what's his name?) Sorry... I know a lot about this awards year because it's the year Raiders was screwed out of everything!

-Erik-

I would have got Chariots of Fire correctly if I had paid close attention to the question shame
  5. Timmer wrote
    I would have got Chariots of Fire correctly if I had paid close attention to the question shame

But Tim I TRUSTED you! rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I knew the answer too..... I just didn't read the question properly either...

Oh, and I knew the first question as well.

Peter tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik got it correctly though