• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010
    http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/lion … pendables/

Are people still doing films like that in 2010? This is hilariously fun to watch! biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    I can't wait. Seriously.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Heh, i can understand how this can be an orgasm after another for good ol' hollywood lovers wink It looks like a RAMBO V instalment btw, or more like a parody than a serious movie. Who's scoring this? I imagine Trevor Rabin behind such a flick.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010 edited
    Brian Tyler! That's another reason to be impatient.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, close wink My RAMBO V parallels worked then. Do they have the same director, i.e. this and RAMBO IV which Brian also scored? They sure look very similar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Well, The Expendables is also directed by Sylvester Stallone, like Rambo IV.

"We will kill this american disease!" (with latino accent) biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Fuck. I was right! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Haha, your guesses were totally in the right direction, both score and film wise smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, it wasn't anything hard to guess, it's pretty obvious. Still it looks fun and truth is that after the Brian Tyler galore of 4-5 scores per year during the last 2-3 years, we haven't been receiving much lately which will surely prove to be good for him, taking a break. Looking forward for a big, kick-ass loud comeback (and for the excellent recording videos he provides us with!).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh, and i bet latin americans and africans are hunting down Stallone's ass for years now biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    The recent RAMBO was laughably bad, but I loved Tyler's score, also as an hommage to Goldsmith. Meant as a retro ultimate 80's action flick, The Expendables will be nostalgic fun for those who loved those films, but I couldn't be less interested. However, I'm looking forward to Brian's score! Hopefully it will be loud orchestral fun from start to finish!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, it was laughable for sure and there's no proof why this wouldn't be either. At least it sure looks like it, but i don't know, maybe people into that 80's-90's kind of good ol' hollywood bs action will love it smile In any case however, surely the brian tyler score is to be awaited!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, it was laughable for sure and there's no proof why this wouldn't be either. At least it sure looks like it, but i don't know, maybe people into that 80's-90's kind of good ol' hollywood bs action will love it smile

Count me in. This kind of movies are no longer made nowadays, Stallone is the only one who dares. An hommage to those 80's and early nineties action movies with today's technical improvements is something I can't resist to.

Christodoulides wrote
    In any case however, surely the brian tyler score is to be awaited!

Indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Those films are made; but not in the cheesy 80's way, they have changed, evolved; for good or for bad, i don't know, but surely the old cheese has been replaced with new; new action flicks might be as shallow but they look more and more like games or kick ass video clips now, the attention has been drawn more and more to the audio visual spectacle of things and not so much on cheesy tag lines and dialogue. It's an extension of the cultural surroundings of our times, music, tv, everything, a constant give and take between real life and cinema, both influencing and getting influenced by one another. Times have changed and so did action movies smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Yes, you are probably right, but most of the action films made today are as bland as they can be. Not that I love violence, death and blood all over the place on every single action movie but, once in a while, a movie like Rambo IV or The Expendables is fresh air over a kind of cinema (action) more teenagers focused than never.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    The '80's cheesy action flick is still being made, btw. They just never make it to the cinema, but go straight to DVD or late night television. And rightly so. The big budget kinda things exist still in The Transporter films. It's telling that The Expendables doesn't only have old action stars but also several 'young' ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    This film is made for fans who grew up on 80's action flicks. This is a homage to us. Just look at the cast... most of them 80's action icons. Action. Icons. Big named action stars that bring in big box office number solely on their name alone. Humm... there aren't many actors that fit that description nowadays huh?

All this film is going to be is bad one liners and lots of 'splosions. I. CAN'T. WAIT! And the Schwarzenegger/Bruce Willis cameos are gold! Demetris... you won't get this film, it's not made for you, stay the hell away! wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    This film is made for fans who grow up on 80's action flicks. This is a homage to us. Just look at the cast... most of them 80's action icons. Action icons. Big named action start that bring in big box office number solely on their name alone. Humm... there aren't many actors that fit that description nowadays huh?

All this film is going to be is bad one liners and lots of 'splosions. I. CAN'T. WAIT! And the Schwarzenegger/Bruce Willis cameos are gold!
    -Erik-

punk punk
  1. It'll be fun, if alone for the cameos and big name action heroes from the past.

Bringing all these guys together seems to happen only once in a lifetime, so we should be happy it's in our lifetime. Hollywood still has proof of intelligence. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I've been thinking this will be good since I first heard it was going to be made.

This trailer confirms this will be fucking awesome! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    This film is made for fans who grow up on 80's action flicks. This is a homage to us. Just look at the cast... most of them 80's action icons. Action icons. Big named action start that bring in big box office number solely on their name alone. Humm... there aren't many actors that fit that description nowadays huh?

All this film is going to be is bad one liners and lots of 'splosions. I. CAN'T. WAIT! And the Schwarzenegger/Bruce Willis cameos are gold! Demetris... you won't get this film, it's not made for you, stay the hell away! wink

-Erik-

I wanna see! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2010
    Whatever, it looks like a parody to me wink But as you put it, RAMBO IV Should be awesome too? Well, it wasn't; maybe he gets it right this time wink
  2. The new Rambo wasn't bad actually, it went the other way the sequels went in, much more violent and gritty than before. I was just shocked at the gore that Stallone got away with so that counts for something.

The Expendables better not be THAT gory!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2010
    I grew up on those tongue-in-cheek action films in the 80's, and really look forward to this "hommage" film. Pure unadulterated fun.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I read that Sylvester Stallone won't make Rambo V, but instead re release Rambo 4 with about 9 minutes of additional footage, including an important scene where Rambo explains to Sarah (Julie Benz) why war has transformed him (Stallone said he feels it should be included in the picture now)

I think, this could elevate the movie a bit, considering I always liked the brief lines Stallone said in that one

ah well, I was pleasantly surprised by Rambo 4, especially due to the gruesome action
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2010
    Besides The Expendables this trailer of Machete also seems fun, a nod to the '80s B-movies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2010
    Thomas, thanks for the news. Now i can sleep relaxed and in safety! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010
    I justed watched Rambo 4 yesterday, and I thought it was excellent. Sure it had it's flaws, mainly it struggled to balance the "drama" scenes and the pure gore fest (which is the movie's strongest asset IMO).

But one thing really bugged me as a movie/filmmusic fan. The end scene [spoiler]where Rambo walks towards his father's farm, and you see a view of the road he came from,[/spoiler] while they play the "It's a Long Road" theme - beautifully done.... UNTIL they run out of music, and fade into Tyler's action score, which totally destroys the moment for me. IMO they could have gone with 3 other choices, bid they didn't:

1. Fade to black after the "It's a Long Road" theme
    2. Lenghten the "It's a Long Road" theme, so it would have lasted until Rambo reached his destination
    3. Fade into Tyler's beautiful and more quiet main theme, which also would have suited the scene

I don't know who was to blame for this, if it was Tyler, Stallone, the editor or whoever, but I think it was badly done...
  4. I really don't know how they did some of the gory shots where limbs are flying off and so on. This really is a Rambo to put all the cheesy films that came before to shame. Worth a watch for that alone. And have you seen this with the sound ramped all the way up? Because this film is double the impact with a good sound system, take my word for it!

And Tyler's renditions of Jerry's themes were rather poor. Every bit of feeling that Jerry put into them were gone like the wind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010
    Loved its score. Would never spare 2 hours for such a film though.