• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2018
    My review of Pacific Rim: Uprising for anyone who is slightly interested in this movie

https://soundtrackworld.com/2018/04/pac … rne-balfe/
  1. Caliburn wrote
    My review of Pacific Rim: Uprising for anyone who is slightly interested in this movie

https://soundtrackworld.com/2018/04/pac … rne-balfe/

I found the movie to be surprisingly entertaining. Enjoyed it as much as the first one. Very engaging and surprising plot. I had expected it to be eye-rollingly predictable but it actually had some clever ideas and twists.

The score, on the other hand...epic fail.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2018
    Apparently, Balfe will be composing the score for the next Mission: Impossible film.

That's incredibly disappointing news.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    He's had one of the worst years I can think of for a major film composer. I'm not expecting much from his Mission Impossible work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Balfe's work on the Penguins of Madagascar movie assures me he can knock this one out of the park. Every mission impossible score so far has been excellent, keep it up Lorne!
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Soul-destroying news, but not unexpected.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Aidabaida wrote
    Balfe's work on the Penguins of Madagascar movie assures me he can knock this one out of the park. Every mission impossible score so far has been excellent, keep it up Lorne!

I'll be surprised. He's yet to show any ability to compose anything beyond a catchy tune. The previous Mission Impossible scores, minus (unsurprisingly) the Zimmer/MV one, have all worked beyond catchy tunes; they're expertly and intricately constructed scores. To go from Elfman to Giacchino to Kraemer to Balfe is a stupendously short-sited decision on the part of the producers.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Steven wrote
    Aidabaida wrote

I'll be surprised. He's yet to show any ability to compose anything beyond a catchy tune. The previous Mission Impossible scores, minus (unsurprisingly) the Zimmer/MV one, have all worked beyond catchy tunes; they're expertly and intricately constructed scores. To go from Elfman to Giacchino to Kraemer to Balfe is a stupendously short-sited decision on the part of the producers.

My thoughts exactly. The series has maintained an impressively high level in terms of music. Okay, so the Zimmer score may not go down in the annals of film music history, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine.

But the Elfman, Giacchino and Kraemer scores are top notch! I'd been looking so much forward to another Kraemer score, and now this.

I can't express how bummed out I am over this...
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2018
    It's not just Joe Kraemer who was dumped, McQuarrie's usual cinematographer and production designer were both also dumped. All three replaced by British people. Film made with British tax breaks requiring a certain proportion of key roles be filled by British people. Draw your own conclusions. (See also: inexplicable use of Spanish composers on films made with Spanish tax breaks.)
  2. That still doesn't excuse it, I mean David Arnold is just sitting RIGHT THERE twiddling his thumbs...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh yes, this explains why Joe Kraemer wasn't hired, but doesn't explain why literally the worst British film composer of all time was hired in his place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    David Arnold. Patrick Doyle. George Fenton. Debbie Wiseman. I mean, it's not difficult, is it?
  3. This whole thing smells like a last-minute cost cutting decision forced through by the studio. The thought process seems to have been "who is British, cheap, has no particular artistic standards that might make things difficult and can write two hours of film music in a couple of weeks that manages to meet the bare minimum standard of competence not to actively damage the film?"

Eh. I know we ought to wait before we judge but...when you want to aim high with the music in your film, you don't go to Lorne Balfe.
  4. What about the story that the studio hated Kraemer for quoting the opera and that it didn't also convince Cruise that much?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    we all know the real story is that Kraemer was the one responsible for Cruise's broken ankle.
  5. Aidabaida wrote
    we all know the real story is that Kraemer was the one responsible for Cruise's broken ankle.

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2018
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    This whole thing smells like a last-minute cost cutting decision forced through by the studio. The thought process seems to have been "who is British, cheap, has no particular artistic standards that might make things difficult and can write two hours of film music in a couple of weeks that manages to meet the bare minimum standard of competence not to actively damage the film?"

looks like they thought, that at least kraemer couldn't handle these specific tasks. although i think, balfe is not that cheap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2018
    • CommentAuthorLars
    i see this a bit different. the only part i agree with is, that the album is too long. Especially the first 7 tracks are a bit boring. but with the track Fallout, the music gets more and more interesting. i think Balfe did set his own voice for part 6 of this franchise. the mix of orchestra, Dark Knight synths, lots of choir, bongos and the more power anthem style of the original themes is unique in this franchise. you can clearly hear, tha it is a Balfe score. for me, the album offers alot of good and really good tracks.

Fallout is a nice rcp version of the original theme, although Mission: Accomplished is much better. a kick ass version. Stairs and Rooftops is an amazing actiontrack, almost without synths. you can clearly hear the orchestra in all tracks. and sometimes Balfe uses more or less synths, but more like a sound colour than an imitation of the orchestra as in many of his previous scores.

i also think, that No Hard Feelings, The Exchange, Escape Through Paris, We Are Never Free, Kashmir, Cutting On One and The Last Resort are wonderful tracks. of course the actionmusic has the rcp style with the synths, but the orchestra and choir give these tracks a nice colour. i cant agree that this music is boring.

another standout track for me is The Syndicate. i love that string motif which builds up and gets more intense. also the piano in the backround sounds really cool and makes this track special.

as a whole, Balfe delivers for me a really good score with a unique sound for part 6 of this franchise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    great post Lars, I gave up on the score early and you've convinced me to give it another go
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2018
    Nope, still terrible.
  6. Wrong thread
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. My review of MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – FALLOUT, for anyone who's interested.

https://moviemusicuk.us/2018/07/31/miss … rne-balfe/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2018
    For who is interested in my thoughts. I have reviewed MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT.

https://soundtrackworld.com/2018/08/mis … rne-balfe/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2019
    Sigbjørn Vindenes Egge holds nothing back in his scathing review of MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT:

http://celluloidtunes.no/mission-imposs … rne-balfe/
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Kind of funny that he cites the user ratings from hans-zimmer.com - you can't take those seriously
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2019
    Well, I guess it makes sense for his argument -- a low rating from a place that presumably supports Balfe.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. But the rating is always either a high 2 or low 3, on every score on that site. The Lion King also has a 2. It's a pretty bad argumentum ad populum (or should that be unpopulum?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2019 edited
    I see. Maybe he simply doesn't know that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2019
    Well quite curious what he will do for GEMINI MAN

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2019/06/29 … emini-man/