• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2014
    With Powell taking a break these days...*sigh*.... I especially enjoyed the Powell moments. Very nice, and thanks for sharing.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2014
    If only there were actually any directors these days capable of creating action scenes for which such music would be appropriate. Even if it was just good CGI, that music deserves to have something ridiculously cool happening with it. shocked
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. The images in my head that play when I'm listening to that track are faaaaaaaaaaar cooler than anything I've ever seen in a movie. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2014
    Feliz wrote
    Just on Thomas' Facebook page.

"Lots of people ask me what software I use to compose. Well, the reality is that I am lucky enough to have most of my music recorded live, but for the writing process I have created many complete virtual orchestras. This piece was done 100% using my custom sounds and took about 10 days to complete."

"I wrote this piece as a composing exercise to see how long I could keep the action going without running out of steam. It is hard work but lots of fun in the end. It's basically a wedding cake of film musical ideas. All the stuff that's fun to do, without the nagging director, and without explosions and dialogue to bury the music This cue is of course NOT going on "Sun", which by the way is coming along nicely. Thanks for listening!"

I wrote this a couple of days ago at Filmtracks. I'll just copy and paste it here as well.

It's a fun cue for sure but what completely ruins it is the recording and/or mix. It's all clipped! There's no dynamics. Everything has been crunched to hell because of over used compression. Another sad example of loudness wars. A better recording/mix would breathe life into this piece. As it stands now it's a noisy mess.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm one of the biggest (or at least most vocal) audiophiles in the film music fan world and I'll say I didn't even think about the dynamic range when I listened to the piece. He called it a synth mock-up so I didn't go into it expecting a thrilling sonic experience. It was just GREAT music.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. That's what I was saying to Erik over at Filmtracks. The music itself is so flabbergastingly good that it leaves me no time or energy to pay attention to the finer sonic subtleties. Then again, I'm no audiophile (and thankful for that fact) so don't listen to me...
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    More things! Bergersen just released a nice little single, Autumn Love.
    -iTunes
    -YouTube

It sounds like a forgotten track off of Dreams & Imaginations to me. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2014
    Erik Woods wrote
    Feliz wrote
    Just on Thomas' Facebook page.

"Lots of people ask me what software I use to compose. Well, the reality is that I am lucky enough to have most of my music recorded live, but for the writing process I have created many complete virtual orchestras. This piece was done 100% using my custom sounds and took about 10 days to complete."

"I wrote this piece as a composing exercise to see how long I could keep the action going without running out of steam. It is hard work but lots of fun in the end. It's basically a wedding cake of film musical ideas. All the stuff that's fun to do, without the nagging director, and without explosions and dialogue to bury the music This cue is of course NOT going on "Sun", which by the way is coming along nicely. Thanks for listening!"

I wrote this a couple of days ago at Filmtracks. I'll just copy and paste it here as well.

It's a fun cue for sure but what completely ruins it is the recording and/or mix. It's all clipped! There's no dynamics. Everything has been crunched to hell because of over used compression. Another sad example of loudness wars. A better recording/mix would breathe life into this piece. As it stands now it's a noisy mess.

-Erik-

This is what he always does in his music; heavy metal of film music at the lowest intelligence possible and max fun factor (for a couple of cues' dosage each time).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Demetris wrote
    at the lowest intelligence possible

I'm going to have to take issue with this. He's not out to write art music, no, but he's a solid orchestrator and has a really good sense of how to balance the organic and synthetic - in that sense I'd put him above 90-95% of Hollywood composers. He's not one for subtlety (which is why I love him so much) but that alone doesn't mean his music is of low intelligence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    at the lowest intelligence possible

I'm going to have to take issue with this.

The danger of hyperbole. There are far better candidates for lowest intelligence possible., i.e. most of the rest of the trailer music world (though I'd probably defend Audiomachine too), or maybe Steve Jablonsky.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They're all at the same league for me, the ones you mentioned. But i did say Thomas' music is the most fun of all.
  4. Both Bergersen and Jablonsky are much better composers than most people give them credit for. Say "lowest intelligence possible" and I think of Tyler Bates. Those two are leagues beyond Bates. Actually, Jablonsky is leagues beyond Bates and Bergersen is further leagues beyond Jablonsky.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm guessing they'd all give a jellyfish a run for it's money. An Octopus might be pushing it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    They're all at the same league for me, the ones you mentioned. But i did say Thomas' music is the most fun of all.

I'd go further and say Thomas Bergersen is far more competent at writing for orchestra than, say, Steve Jablonsky.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2014 edited
    Well indeed; the end result is as fast food though; only with Thomas' case a much richer and more variecolored fast food than Jablo's. As for Jablo, as i said in the past, i don't think he's underrated or that he can write much better than he usually does; one score one time isn't proof of the contrary, imo. Thomas' a much better composer, but still.

They're all needed though; they're like the Nu-metal of film music; they're simple, loud and heavy and lots of fun for when you need to turn the mind off and simply let go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    With Powell taking a break these days...*sigh*.... I especially enjoyed the Powell moments. Very nice, and thanks for sharing.

Peter smile

Sigh of relief or sadness?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Well indeed; the end result is as fast food though; only with Thomas' case a much richer and more variecolored fast food than Jablo's.

True. I guess Bergersen is more like a healthy subway, whereas Jablonsky is a McDonalds cheeseburger. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Or a Burger King wink lick Damn you you made me hungry again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    Steven wrote
    True. I guess Bergersen is more like a healthy subway, whereas Jablonsky is a McDonalds cheeseburger. wink
    He's like a Firehouse Sub. Those things are shockeddizzyspin delicious.

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Say "lowest intelligence possible" and I think of Tyler Bates.
    There's the name I was looking for! Seconded.
  6. TSFH have released a new album MIRACLES which, I believe, they're promoting as a counterpart to the epic stuff. Samples sounded lovely. Looking forward to listening to the full album.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2014
    i really love the 2 "Compass" tracks, especially the vocal version. bergersen is a very talented guy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2014
    Synchrotones wrote
    TSFH have released a new album MIRACLES which, I believe, they're promoting as a counterpart to the epic stuff. Samples sounded lovely. Looking forward to listening to the full album.

Lars wrote
    i really love the 2 "Compass" tracks, especially the vocal version. bergersen is a very talented guy.

The whole album is available on Google Play Music, if you have All-Access, you can listen to it. I really like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2014 edited
    TSFH releases a soundtrack! ...to an audiobook. Colin Frake On Fire Mountain.
    I'm on a speakerless computer (the horror) so I can't confirm or deny any amazingness. I always like it when they break out of trailer music though. The track from this video was nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCl7gGyibKc

Album at CDBaby: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/twostepsfromhell19
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2014
    I love this theme. Couldn't get more sweeping if it tried.

Peter love
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2014
    Oh, and a near perfect rendition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzWtlAC6zeY

Peter biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2014 edited
    Thomas Bergersen's new solo album "Sun" is out now. Available from iTunes, Amazon, CDBaby and Spotify (and probably other streaming services as well).
  7. After giving it a listen, I can honestly say I feel the same way I feel every time after listening to a full album by one or both of the guys: exhausted. I wouldn´t say it´s a bad thing necessarily, but it´s like with a cake where one piece makes you feel full and finished, but somehow grams is shoveling one piece after another onto your plate.

That said, I was kind of surprised when, close to sonic collapse, I noticed a track of special beauty and epicness near the end of the album, "Empire of Angels". Although it´s very repetitive, I like the theme and thought it would be a great track for one of those "tribute" videos out there celebrating 30 years of whatever, you know what I mean.
  8. I rarely ever listen to an entire Two Steps album in one sitting. I think their music is best appreciated in individual cues.
  9. You´re right, of course.