• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2010
    ........which completely defeats the purpose of using a live orchestra in the first place.

Except, I suppose, on the rare occasion where they do something unique and interesting with the sound, i.e. "The Kraken."
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    It is possible that they are doing the synths layered over top of live orchestra RC/MV BS that's been going on for years!
    -Erik-

It is. There's certainly eastwest choirs in there and wordbuilder too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2010 edited
    Ranietz wrote
    Thor wrote
    By the way, these are ALL samples - no acoustic instruments. Bergersen is known in the industry for being one of the world's very best orchestral mock-up guys!

I think you're wrong Thor. Their first album was samples only. The rest is with real orchestra/choir/solo performers.

Not from what I've heard, which is why I was flabbergasted by it. Some of the most real-sounding things I've heard. I think the solo voice may be acoustic, though, and maybe the choir, but I can't say for sure. Bergersen is really far ahead of the game in this genre.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edit:

I just found out:

The "orchestras" here are Cappellen and Dark Date Orchestra, neither of which I believe are real orchestras, but rather highly, highly sophisticated sample libraries. The choir, on the other hand, seems to be real (the Salt Lake Tabernacle Choir).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    Thor wrote
    Edit:

I just found out:

The "orchestras" here are Cappellen and Dark Date Orchestra, neither of which I believe are real orchestras, but rather highly, highly sophisticated sample libraries. The choir, on the other hand, seems to be real (the Salt Lake Tabernacle Choir).

What makes you think that Cappellen and Dark Date Orchestra are sample libraries and not real orchestras? I'm pretty much up to date when it comes to sample libraries and I haven't heard about those two libraries. Even if they were custom libraries I would probably have heard about them. But of course I can be wrong. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Many composers use custom libraries, including the rc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ranietz wrote
    Thor wrote
    Edit:

I just found out:

What makes you think that Cappellen and Dark Date Orchestra are sample libraries and not real orchestras? I'm pretty much up to date when it comes to sample libraries and I haven't heard about those two libraries. Even if they were custom libraries I would probably have heard about them. But of course I can be wrong. wink

I don't know, it's just a guess based on the fact that I couldn't find any orchestras by that name by googling them (you would think there would be SOME record of them if they were real orchestras). I'm guessing he has sampled his orchestral sounds "manually" and then has a way of transferring it to digital that makes it so much better-sounding than anyone else's.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My bad...

Capellen orchestra, at least, is apparently a real one (I just spelled it wrong):

http://www.capellen.cz/english/orchestra.htm
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Do they list that in their credits? Maybe it's a similar name case?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Do they list that in their credits? Maybe it's a similar name case?

Yes, it's listed in the credits. It appears to be a mix of sampled, real and vocals.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, what Erik assumed then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2010 edited
    Some of their tracks (ex. El Mexicano, Once Upon A Time, Forgotten Realms, The Whistleblower) are entirely orchestral--and all real orchestra (and choir). On Invincible I think "Undying Love" would be a good example. Some are a mix of real and synth orchestra, sometimes with additional electronics. Other tracks, usually from their earlier albums (i.e. "Volume 1") are entirely synth--"Super Strength," included on Invincible, is from Volume 1 and is good example of their synth work, as is "Allegro Agitado."

Grassroots Films just put up the main titles to their documentary "The Human Experience," score composed by Thomas J. Bergersen. Now this is what Thomas can do with a real orchestra, and with a real movie. It's beautiful stuff. Take a listen:

The Human Experience: Main Titles (YouTube)
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011
    A preview mp3 download of TSFH's upcoming album, "Two Steps from Heaven" which, according to Thomas Bergersen, will feature "longer, more orchestral score-like music."

Listen to "Tower of Mischief"
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2011
    a new track from thomas' album illusions

http://www.twostepsfromhell.com/2SFHweb … pen%29.mp3

a fantastic track. i can't wait for the album release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2011
    "Fallout", "Hypnotica", "Undying Love" and "Destiny of Mankind"...ahhh, the kind of music that makes me happy in my pants.

punk
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2011
    you can download 4 tracks from thomas' new album illusions on itunes and amazon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2011 edited
    And they're very very good! :D

So I don't know how confirmed this is, but I'm pretty sure it's accurate. Thomas Bergersen and Nick Phoenix are composing additional music for PotC: On Stranger Tides. If you're not excited yet you should give Thomas' Norwegian Pirate a listen and get back to me on that. smile
  1. Feliz wrote

So I don't know how confirmed this is, but I'm pretty sure it's accurate. Thomas Bergersen and Nick Phoenix are composing additional music for PotC: On Stranger Tides. If you're not excited yet you should give Thomas' Norwegian Pirate a listen and get back to me on that. smile

weird but nice news at the same time. Even though Zimmer on this should be enough, it's nice to see these guys compose music for film
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2011
    Feliz wrote

Is it just me or does that sound like everything else in that vein? Rousing = check, Amthemic = check, Loud = check, Big Choir = check, Big percussion = check.

Tedium = check
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Is it just me or does that sound like everything else in that vein? Rousing = check, Amthemic = check, Loud = check, Big Choir = check, Big percussion = check.

Tedium = check

I think it's a fine piece, containing some of the same playfulness that is heard in the POTC scores. TSFH does indeed have that loud trailer music sound in most of their music, but I find that with more listens their music has alot more quality and even emotion than any of the other similar stuff out there.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's all the same to me. Technically good, emotionally dry copy-paste scoring on auto-pilot, i.e. exactly what trailer music needs but i won't be listening thank you very much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Feliz wrote

Would be great if true. When enjoying their music it's natural to imagine how it would work doing a movie, and I often imagine movie scenes when listening. They certainly deserve the attention such a big project would provide.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's all the same to me. Technically good, emotionally dry copy-paste scoring on auto-pilot, i.e. exactly what trailer music needs but i won't be listening thank you very much.

What about Undying love? I think it has plenty of emotion.
    I love this one. Starts out sounding like Elfman, then it goes into more typical trailer music, but very cool and listenable. It's a really great track after a few listens.
    And perhaps my favourite piece of 2010.
    Oh, and in case you think they can only do armageddon-type music, here they're channeling Rachel Portman.

I doubt these will convert you, but give them a chance anyway. I used to ignore trailer music as well as it all sounded the same to me, but giving these guys a chance really paid off.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2011 edited
    @D: Emotionally dry copy-paste scoring on auto-pilot? Maybe more accurate for some of their early stuff, but a harsh judgment overall. Parts of Dreams and Imaginations and Power of Darkness are quite creative, especially within the genre. El Mexicano is not typical trailer music, for example. It's a wonderful little orchestral/choral piece.

And they can definitely write with emotion. Give Thomas another chance when his score for The Human Experience comes out. It's a documentary with an entirely different, not trailer-music mood. The Main Theme is beautiful.

@Timmer: Rousin, amthemic, loud, big choir, big percussion, check, check, check. You're right, of course. But those are all the hallmarks of trailer music, that's what sells, yeah? They can do a lot more, and sneak hints of it into their trailer albums. That's why I'm excited to hear Thomas' full work on The Human Experience, Thomas and Nick on PotC (though it'll probably be as bombastic as any trailer music), and hopefully more film projects in the future!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2011
    Nobody does mock-ups as well as Bergersen. He's somewhat of a technical genius in that regard, and at the very forefront of the utilization of hi tech samplers (this is according to fellow industry professionals, btw). True, it's not the most original, but that's not what he's about in the first place.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Why does everything have to be original in order for it to be accepted as being worthwhile? That's what it seems like sometimes.

Yes, originality can seem like a breath of fresh air. But to expect seeing it in every corner of film scoring is always going to lead to disappointment. For stuff like trailer music I know what I'm going to get and I go there to get it.

Maybe Hollywood isn't the best place to go for innovative scoring in order to find innovative scoring - but when it does arise in this quarter it's refreshing. Ninety percent of film scoring is very much the same, with different sounds and emphases from the various composers working in Hollywood (and elsewhere). For me at least that's very comforting in a way. I usually know what I'm going to get from a composer (with slight variations dictated by the project).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Exactly, Alan. Originality is only one out of several possible criteria in evaluating, say, a piece of music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's different when it comes to ready-made library stock music for trailers though.
  3. I don't believe so, D. If it's being churned out like on a factory production line it's not going to be original. But if it's the same quality (however defined) as all the rest then it's worth listening to.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I wasn't commenting on their origin, but rather the purpose of their music (unless i am missing something, this is what they do) and its style.