• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2011
    i think it's a very good album by thomas. wonderful themes, amazing use of solo vocals and choir and a great mix of orchestra, synths and solo instruments. i never heard something like that by hans zimmer. and the only thing that reminds me of e.s. posthumus is, that's a mix of orchestra, synths and choir. my favourite tracks are Ocean Princess, A Place In Heaven, Merchant Prince, Promise, Homecoming and Immortal. what i like about the solo vocals is, that it sounds in some tracks like opera. the best parts for that are the last minute of Ocean Princess and the second half of A Place In Heaven. that sounds so amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2011 edited
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    A shameless rip of Zimmer and E.S.Posthumus. Not for me this one here smile

E.S. Posthumus kinda went down hill after Baraka, so I'm pretty happy that Thomas Bergesen can provide such an excellent substitute/replacement.

FWIW, most of these albums will always "rip off" Hans one way or another.

An all female bukkake? Hmmm, not sure how I should respond to this....

E.s.Posthumus did it way less noisy than this. And more coherent. And the worldless wailings? The middle eastern wind instruments? Yeah, Zimmer never did that before wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    A shameless rip of Zimmer and E.S.Posthumus. Not for me this one here smile

E.S. Posthumus kinda went down hill after Baraka, so I'm pretty happy that Thomas Bergesen can provide such an excellent substitute/replacement.

FWIW, most of these albums will always "rip off" Hans one way or another.

An all female bukkake? Hmmm, not sure how I should respond to this....

E.s.Posthumus did it way less noisy than this. And more coherent. And the worldless wailings? The middle eastern wind instruments? Yeah, Zimmer never did that before wink

I'm not discounting Cartographer. I'm saying that things went down hill extremely quickly with Makara (not Bakara, like I mentioned earlier). And Illusion albums pick up that slack extremely well, with excellent result.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011
    My god i tried but this is horrible; it concentrates all what's wrong with the current state of film music. Done with this, deleting it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    My god i tried but this is horrible; it concentrates all what's wrong with the current state of film music. Done with this, deleting it.

smile

Just curious though, what's wrong with the current state of film music and how does it apply to an instrumental album?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2011 edited
    What you hear in there. Es posthumus + Zimmer and Djawadisms in the blender, fast food chord processions on repeat, no real thematic procession, just middle eastern colored / dramatic motifs with every middle eastern sound out there, sound libraries, lots of reverb and bass, drums, band / rock like, song-like short pieces, trying to be catchy, very loud, very compressed - almost noise at parts. And not's just an instrumental music, he is very closely related to film music, sounds like a demo reel for trying to get a big score assingment by immitating what the producers think is "hot" and resonates with the audiences these days.
  1. Bergersen IS a film composer already...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2011 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    What you hear in there. Es posthumus + Zimmer and Djawadisms in the blender, fast food chord processions on repeat, no real thematic procession, just middle eastern colored / dramatic motifs with every middle eastern sound out there, sound libraries, lots of reverb and bass, drums, band / rock like, song-like short pieces, trying to be catchy, very loud, very compressed - almost noise at parts. And not's just an instrumental music, he is very closely related to film music, sounds like a demo reel for trying to get a big score assingment by immitating what the producers think is "hot" and resonates with the audiences these days.

hmmm...

E.S. Posthumus + Zimmer and Djawadisms = not a bad thing

fast food chord processions on repeat, ..... just middle eastern colored / dramatic motifs with every middle eastern sound out there = a few songs on the album. Though I posit the reality that these aren't bad if you're into having a bit of color in your music.

no real thematic procession = reality that this isn't a film score album, but an album of instrumental-based music in the vein of Enigma (even sample a bit from their oeuvre) and E.S Posthumus. Would you expect thematic continuity in those as well?

sound libraries = I'd bet that he's partially responsible for some of those libraries...

lots of reverb and bass, drums, band / rock like, song-like short pieces, trying to be catchy, very loud, very compressed = valid argument if this was a film score album. Song-like structure is allowed, otherwise.

almost noise at parts = not sure where that's valid, however.

E.S. Posthumus + Zimmer and Djawadisms = yummy album of non-film music.

Thomas is clearly writing for mass consumption, packaging his influences and background into a world music album (of epic proportion). Within this context, tracks have their own opens and ends. They don't have to be lengthy, though when they are, like "Promise" and "Illusions", the result is great. It's a huge step up compared to his company album "Invincible" which was an album of disparate production library cues compiled into a, contextually, jarring, listening experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Bergersen IS a film composer already...

Have you heard his score for The Human Experience yet?

It's interesting to see that he's done a majority of film work with Christophe Beck.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    lp wrote
    Have you heard his score for The Human Experience yet?

It's interesting to see that he's done a majority of film work with Christophe Beck.

that's really interesting, especially because he was always co-orchestrator. but it doesn't surprise, because his orchestration in The Human Experience is fantastic. a great thematic orchestral score, far away from two steps from hell or illusions. i wish the soundtrack has more score material, but i'm glad that we have 6 wonderful tracks. i hope he will get more score projects.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011 edited
    I love all that's wrong with the current state of film music. punkpunkpunk

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011
    As unoriginal as their vernacular can be, I haven't come across any other music
    this year that gets me going better than TSFH! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I keep hearing about these guys, yet all I've heard from them are pretty much all Requiem For A Dream remix knock-offs.
    Could anyone recommend a (really) good album of theirs to start off with?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Martijn wrote
    I keep hearing about these guys, yet all I've heard from them are pretty much all Requiem For A Dream remix knock-offs.

Requiem For A Dream? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    rolleyes

The problem with that is that that's actually a very good album!
    So playing on that doesn't merit any bonus points with me. Hence me never getting too much into these guys.
    It does sound like a one trick pony (from what I've heard! But I'm very much open to suggestions), which in ietslef certainly isn't too bad...but not if the trick wasn't original to start with!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They don't have a good album. Nothing you'll like at least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    How would you know, Mr. Minimalism? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Do you like concentrated and usually cheap-sounding film music / Zimmer-esque / Rc-ish capsules in very loud, very compressed 3 minutes pieces? I had the impression you don't smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hm. That doesn't sound very appealing. I had rather hoped it would be more diverse than that. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well their fans will tell you it is. Take a good listen yourself and decide smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That was exactly my question!

What is their best (or "most representative" is maybe a better phrase?) album to indeed have a listen to be able to properly decide?

I agree, as with any fan of any artist, the fans will probably come back with "all of them", so I'm hoping for someone here who can offer a little more balanced view.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011 edited
    Well maybe some of their latest 'cause of better production values, like archangel or illusions.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    i think, bergersen is a very talented guy. i like his stuff more than the tracks composed by phoenix. here are some examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ1GbBlS9wM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvriqdS3vsc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0g0hbf3RxA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxFl08IJ … re=related

4 of my favourite tracks by bergersen
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011 edited
    Martijn wrote

Start off with their first official album which is called Invincible. That's full of the TSFH sound. Must admit I can't recall any tracks that sounds like Requiem For A Dream though... I also recommend the album The Devil wears nada where almost none of the tracks sound like TSFH, but more like romcoms and Danny Elfman and Harry Potter. In fact if Danny Elfman had scored a Harry Potter movie and Rachel Portman had scored a romcom involving magical gnomes with wings, and the music had been put on the same album, that's probably how it would have sounded like.

In any case, keep in mind that it's trailer music, and hence not very original. Many of their tracks have been based on prior pieces. If you're one of those kinds of fans who demand originality and uniqueness, you'll probably be turned off after 5 minutes of listening. But if you want some cool, headbanging music, with the occasional world music influences, you'll have an awesome time.

Here's one of my faves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elgED2pbZfs
    Here's a lovely romcom track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2LodCjpzEY
    This one's a beaut: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzkwFzXkvZg

Peter smile
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Well maybe some of their latest 'cause of better production values, like archangel or illusions.

I think that Archangel is quite an enjoyable album.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Cheers. I'll be on the lookout for that one, then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011 edited
    No, I'm not going to say that every album is their best album. smile But like D said I'd say, I do think Bergersen is way more diverse than RC concentrate. (Phoenix is good at what he does, but he never gets creative enough to break out of the stereotypical trailer music mold.) They're 2 very different composers who happen to work together.

Because of this, and because their albums are absolutely huge, they don't really have a "best representative album." That's the biggest problem with listening to TSFH. Invincible isn't bad, and I prefer it to Archangel, but some tracks I don't like at all were included on both, and some great tracks were left off of both. Their most creative non-typical trailer music is probably contained in Dreams & Imaginations, The Devil Wears Nada, and Illumina. And you'll get a track or three from those in Invincible/Archangel, but none of those albums are available for purchase in full.

It's trailer music bottom line, so whatever style Bergersen writes in is going to be more "concentrated" by nature (and sometimes derivative--style copies is one thing editors are looking for and one way they can sell their craft, after all), but Bergersen is a diverse composer with various styles. Let's see if I can find some highlights from each for you:

Orchestral (Classicalish and Rom Com)
    (Mostly from The Devil Wears Nada and Dreams & Imaginations)
    Really, it's pretty strange to find as much straight up orchestral music in a trailer music catalogue as you do with TSFH. Doesn't sell well, I guess. But I'm glad he does it anyway. I would really like to see Bergersen tap more into this side with some more real film projects.
    The Whistleblower
    El Mexicano
    Painted World
    It's the Season for Love
    Allegro Agitato (This one's all samples, impressively/unfortunately)
    Remembrance
    Down
    Celebrate Life
    Heart - (Non-TSFH, Written for Haitian hurricane victims -- starting to show shades of what Bergersen calls "new world music")
    Ulthuan - He also likes experimenting with unique vocalists, Bulgarian choirs, etc.
    Love Doctor (I guess this one's actually Big Band sound, channeling Mancini)

The Human Experience -- This is the only real opportunity Bergersen's had on a film, a documentary about people and their hardships across the world. It's a very good score.
    -The Human Experience - Theme
    -The Human Experience - Overture (Can't find a link to this one. Basically the above again with more feeling.)
    -4 other tracks (Emergence, Exaltation, The Hidden Rainforest, A Surprise Meeting) are also good, though they were actually originally written for the ScoreHelper library and intentionally written with a little of the Lion King sound in mind.

And Peter already mentioned Undying Love, Clock Tower Parade. Then there's We Can Fly, Tears, Sleepless, Sky Brigade, etc. If you want more titles on any of these just ask. I'm always more than happy to overwhelm you with information. :P

Contemporary/New Age-ish
    (Mostly from Dreams and Imaginations)
    Great Spirits
    Touched By Her Hand
    Sun Gazer
    Clair Voyant
    Hello World
    Intoxication - Pretty experimental. This one's interesting. I don't like it overall, but the string line is catchy. Definitely shows another side of the composer.
    Lost in Los Vegas - Another side. Cinematic trance, more or less.
    Goodbye for Now
    I Love You Forever
    Could've Been - Just a relaxing guitar piece.

And then there's the more typical powerhouse trailer music, which they're more known for and which D really dislikes I think. :P I could do a list of the best of those, but this'll probably keep you busy.

Additionally, Bergersen has his "Illusions" style. All of his tracks on his solo CD Illusions are a fusion of electronics and orchestra and heavily feature ethnic instruments and a bunch of different solo vocalists. Bergersen was experimenting with what he calls "new world" music. That album covers a lot of ground, but for that side of Bergersen in a nutshell maybe check out...
    Promise
    Gift of Life
    Sonera
    Reborn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011
    Wow, very good and very comprehensive info there, Feliz! Many thanks! beer
    I have a lot of good leads now and I'll be sure to check those out!
  4. Can any of you "Two Steps From Hell" experts tell me if the tracks on this History Channel documentary soundtrack are original pieces?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vietnam-Music-O … mp;sr=1-79
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2011
    All the TSFH tracks on that album are from previous TSFH albums. None of them were made specifically for the documentary.

Peter smile