• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I rarely ever listen to an entire Two Steps album in one sitting. I think their music is best appreciated in individual cues.

Fantastic when put amongst drunken on-the-fly film music playlists. Not that I would know, drinking is a sin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2014
    It's two steps from hell. Their trademarked style IS by definition an overly loud, flat, exhausted style of music.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Exhausting, maybe, but not exhausted. punk
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2014
    i really like bergersens new album. the new version of the track Sun with the violin and the vocals at the end is amazing. other favourite tracks of mine are New Life (what a beautiful theme with a very nice flute solo), Always Mine (very uplifting theme and instrumentation + great performance of the choir) and Two Hearts (nice melody and solo vocals) i love, how the music gets bigger and bigger. other very good tracks are Colors Of Love (especially the instrumental melody in the last third) and Empire Of Angels. the rest is good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2014
    "Sun" is a fantastic album, pure and simple. punk

Favorite tracks are "Colors of Love", "Fearless" and "Two Hearts"... and lots of lots of other tracks as well.
  2. Sun is friggin' excellent. A more than worthy follow-up to Illusions, which is one of my favorite albums of all time. My triumvirate of favorite tracks also includes "Colors of Love" and "Fearless", but the third one is "Starchild", which has the best orchestral writing of any cue on that album.

Thomas Bergersen is having a hell of a year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2014
    "Starchild" is also a great track. Most of them are smile And yes, "Illusions" is a masterpiece, and really hard to follow, but somehow he managed not to disappoint.
  3. I feel the same way about Sun vs. Illusions as I do about the first and second How to Train Your Dragon scores. I still prefer the earlier album in both cases simply because I know and love them so well, but I know that with repeat listens to the follow-ups, I'll come to love them just as much. I'm already halfway there with HTTYD 2 and I don't doubt that'll be the case for Sun as well. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2014
    Well I've pretty much listened to "Sun" non-stop since it came out, and I only think it gets better and better. On the first listen only a handful of tracks stood out to me ("Colors of Love" and "Fearless" among others). Then a couple more on the next listen and so on. Now I think every track is brilliant (well, maybe apart from "In Paradisum", which kind of doesn't fit in with the other tracks, but still is a beautiful track).
  4. Yeah, I agree, after what came before "In Paradisum" seems almost unbearably slow. It would fit a lot better on an album like Dreams and Imaginations. It's a pretty piece of music, though (kind of reminds me of Morricone's The Mission). And it's a definite improvement on the cue it's based on, "Gloria" from Two Steps From Heaven. The extension lets it breathe a bit better.

The rest of the album I love almost unreservedly. The lion roar in "Creation of Earth" is a little cheesy, though. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2014 edited
    Didn't notice the lion roar before smile I think it's pretty well camouflaged though, and I actually think it sounds cool(ish). Would like to hear that track performed live with an actual lion though biggrin

Speaking of which, Thomas Bergersen wrote this in a Facebook comment:

”Now that the work is done with the album, the next year of my life will be spent organizing concerts as there seems to be quite a lot of demand (still trying to wrap my head around that..!). Germany is indeed a next logical place.. “

Definitely looking forward to that.
  5. Thomas Bergersen wrote
    Germany is indeed a next logical place.. “

Damn straight it is. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2014 edited
    Thomas Bergersen wrote
    ”Now that the work is done with the album, the next year of my life will be spent organizing concerts as there seems to be quite a lot of demand (still trying to wrap my head around that..!). Germany is indeed a next logical place.. “

Shame. Must admit I'd much rather have new compositions than the chance of seeing TSFH live. I don't think most people realize that it's actually a trade-off, when they crave live concerts. More concerts = less music.

Anyway, listening to the Miracles album. I love the new compositions: Miracles, Compass and Stay. Compass reminds me rather of early Hans Zimmer and Miracles reminds me of 80s/90s film music and some TRON: Legacy. Stay is a brilliant pop song, though I must admit it almost triggered my gag reflex when I first listened to it, but after repeated listenings I've completely fallen for it.

Peter love
  6. The less "songs" Two Steps does the happier I will be. I do like "Miracles" and "Compass" though.

Peter, what did you think of Sun and Amaria? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2014 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The less "songs" Two Steps does the happier I will be. I do like "Miracles" and "Compass" though.

Peter, what did you think of Sun and Amaria? smile

So far I like all the tracks on Sun, but none of them has blown me away so far; my itunes track ratings all range from *** to ****. But that will probably change with more listens. Anyway, I've given all the tracks you and others mentioned above extra attention, so that was a helpful read.

I've also just started listening to Colin Frake and some bonus tracks to Skyworld that I've recently learned about, so there's alotta new stuff that I need to familiarize myself with these days.

Anyway, I must admit that I hadn't heard of Amaria, until now! After reading about it I'm getting excited! I see that the official TSFH channel has uploaded 9 tracks from Amaria on youtube. Are those 9 tracks the entire album?

What do you think about Colin Frake and Amaria?

Peter smile
  7. Yeah, Amaria is just those 9 tracks. It's short but has some pretty good tracks, I particularly enjoy "Riders" (even though it's pretty similar to "United We Stand, Divided We Fall" and, by extension, "Titan Dune"). Two of the tracks are from Colin Frake, actually.

Speaking of which - Colin Frake I like fine, but haven't listened to much. It plays more like a film score than a Two Steps album and has a lot of downtime (which some people might think is a good thing, mind you). Don't much like any of the Nick Phoenix tracks, surprise surprise, but a few of the Bergersen ones are really good, especially the opener and that one action cue "Fire Mountain".

I'm not surprised about your comments on Sun considering our diverging opinions on Illusions, to which this album is definitely a follow-up. I agree that neither of those albums contains true standout listen-to-over-and-over-again tracks, but I love the lengthier track times and thus development, the overall atmosphere, the lack of Nick Phoenix (sorry tongue ). Both albums are, I think, growers that require a few listens. And listen to the cues individually. Don't try and slog through an entire Two Steps album in one listen...ever. That's general advice to this entire board. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Don't try and slog through an entire Two Steps album in one listen...ever. That's general advice to this entire board. wink

I do biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Yeah, Amaria is just those 9 tracks.

There are 11 tracks I believe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2014
    Edmund,

ah, yes, I see; Amaria has 11 tracks, and two of them from Frake. I've been listening to this album and I quite enjoy it. Riders is indeed awesome, and I like the criminally short Adventures of Gillock. I've also developed some weird affection for the futuristic sounding Machine dreams.

Thanks for the thoughts on Colin Frake. I'll give that some more spins tonight.

I'm sure you're right that Illusions and Sun are growers. I've come to like Illusions much more than I used to; just had to give it a second chance... and a third... and a fourth... But I really dig that album today.

Anyway, I can easily sit through an entire TSFH album in one go. In fact I can play TSFH 10 hours in a row when the mood strikes me. I guess I'm just weird.

Peter smile
  8. "Machine Dreams"...I just feel like the mid-section with the solo violin doesn't fit. It's OK in and of itself, but it's very conventional and doesn't match the cool style surrounding it. It's a real shame.

With Two Steps I can go maybe an hour or so without needing an ear-break (or, if nothing else, a few cues from Dreams and Imaginations or something wink ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2014
    NP: Sun

I submit that this is rather good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2014
    I don't have the close connection to Bergersen's music as everyone else, but I loved his music for the INTERSTELLAR trailer. Which piece was that? An original piece?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2014
    Thor, the piece is called Final frontier and you can hear the full version here. It wasn't written specifically for the trailer, but was written for his new album Sun. I recommend that you get this album, because as nice as Final frontier is, it doesn't stand out above the rest of the tracks, as they're all about equally great.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2014 edited
    Scribe wrote

plindboe wrote
    Thor, the piece is called Final frontier and you can hear the full version here. It wasn't written specifically for the trailer, but was written for his new album Sun. I recommend that you get this album, because as nice as Final frontier is, it doesn't stand out above the rest of the tracks, as they're all about equally great.

Peter smile

Yup, Sun is a really good album. It's Bergersen's most enjoyable album so far, just behind Illusions/Miracles.
  9. Scribe wrote

Yes, it's a bit of all right, eh what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2014 edited
    plindboe wrote
    and some bonus tracks to Skyworld

...Yeees?

Edit: Ah, found the tracklist! There's 8 of them, looks like? Where did these come from?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2014
    Indeed, eight bonus tracks, but I don't know when and how they suddenly surfaced. I'm guessing that they were composed along with the other tracks but they were left out of the initial release to keep the duration down to 75 minutes, so it could fit on a CD. Later they probably decided to do an mp3 release of the album with all 30 tracks together.

Anyway, I think The colonel is rather awesome.

Peter smile
  10. As far as I understand, the "bonus tracks" are from the industry release of Skyworld and were cut from the commercial release. Not sure why - anything would have been better than "Back to the Earth" and "The End is the Beginning".

"The Colonel" is indeed great, and I actually prefer the "remix" of "Freedom Fighters" to the original (especially the brass countermelody/variation that kicks in at 1:50 lick ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2014
    The Colonel brings something very specific to mind in the beginning, but I'm not sure what. The Rock maybe.

I'm finding the Freedom Fighters remix fascinating... I've noticed distinct evolutions in Bergersen's style over the last 5 years and the original from 2009 against this remix put those styles side by side.

The original is one of my top 3 favorite TSFH tracks, and this remix doesn't displace it, but I do really enjoy it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2014
    Oooh... I like Children from the War. Great track title too.