• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thought I'd start a thread for any concerts people want to report. I saw this post at another forum I go to, and thought it might interest members who live near by it:

Just to let you all know the prestigious Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra are playing a one-off sci-fi/ space film music concert at Meyrick Park in Bournemouth on Saturday 7th August. Amongst others songs played will be ET, Star Trek (Nemesis & XII), Apollo 13, Predator, Star Wars, Avatar, Close Encounters of third kind, Stargate and Battle Beyond the Stars. Tickets are £19.00 and can be found on bsolive.com or by phoning 01202 669925
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010
    Was anybody else at the awesome John Williams concert in Köln (Cologne) on Monday? It was a Spielberg-Williams collaboration concert (the selection was excellent!), with the London Symphony Orchestra! Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Europe mainland, I can imagine. It was really, really great, and I must say, as good as the Ghent concerts were, it was truly a relief again to experience a film music concert in a classical concert atmosphere once again, without all the unnecessary fanciness and pomp & circumstance.
    It was probably one of the best concerts I've been to, and I'm afraid it blew the WSA out of the water smile
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    The 21st Century Orchestra is doing film music concerts only:

The new season is kicking off this saturday, 6 November 2010, with "In a World of Fantasy" (with music from Prince of Persia, 7th voyage of Sinbad, Avatar, The Last Airbender, Narnia: Prince Capian, Ladyhawke, Dragonheart, The Mummy Trilogy and many more).
    Concert guests: Randy Edelman, Jackie DeShannon and Andrew Powell.

Still tickets available:
    www.artproductions.ch

there you can also find the whole concert program with a lot more to come in Dezember and a bit Lord of the Rings/Howard Shore festival in March/April 2011!

Check it out!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    fommes wrote
    Was anybody else at the awesome John Williams concert in Köln (Cologne) on Monday? It was a Spielberg-Williams collaboration concert (the selection was excellent!), with the London Symphony Orchestra! Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Europe mainland, I can imagine. It was really, really great, and I must say, as good as the Ghent concerts were, it was truly a relief again to experience a film music concert in a classical concert atmosphere once again, without all the unnecessary fanciness and pomp & circumstance.
    It was probably one of the best concerts I've been to, and I'm afraid it blew the WSA out of the water smile

slant

I remember you did say something about it when they announced, but forgot. A pity! Glad you did enjoy it so much. Not that close. (although, from Leuven it perhaps is)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Wow, that Luzern Lord of the Rings festival looks awesome.

I remember you did say something about it when they announced, but forgot. A pity! Glad you did enjoy it so much. Not that close. (although, from Leuven it perhaps is)

Yeah, I think you'd mentioned you'd skip it or so; anyway, it was sold out a few weeks ago if I remember correctly.
    It was a 2-hour drive - I drove that long to Ghent in the evening traffic! We should keep our eyes out more for things like these in the Netherlands or Germany, it's not that far in the end.

They're also doing a Herrmann-Hitchcock programme this month in Köln, for people that are interested.

We should keep this thread going smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011 edited
    Any concerts in London (or Paris perhaps?) or so coming up? I have one day of holiday left I need to use before the end of April, and I remember we had a very nice meeting last year. I'm up for a trip again, if we can gather some people.
    Kazoo
  2. Bregt wrote
    Any concerts in London (or Paris perhaps?) or so coming up? I have one day of holiday left I need to use before the end of April, and I remember we had a very nice meeting last year. I'm up for a trip again, if we can gather some people.

that would be cool indeed, and no worries Bregt, this time you can choose the hotel/hostel wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2011
    I doubt I can top 2010 as a concert year. I then saw Rammstein, Jean Michel Jarre (twice!), Supertramp vocalist Roger Hodgson, Al Green, Ennio Morricone and the incredible Ghent concert with the likes of Ellliot Goldenthal, Angelo Badalamenti, Howard Shore, Gustavo Santaolalla etc.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2011
    Have I told you lately that I absolutely envy you?! crazy wink
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2011
    I haven't been to a film music concert for years. The last one was probably Goldsmith's final one in London (where he didn't actually make it since he was too ill). Really hope there are some decent ones in this country soon. By decent, I mean Williams, Horner or Morricone, conducting their own music. I doubt Williams will be back again, Horner doesn't seem likely to ever do one and with Morricone you never know if he'll turn up or not, so I guess I'll be disappointed (until Desplat's famous enough to have his own concert).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2011 edited
    Horner? unlikely but man I would sooooooooooooo be there!

I was looking forward to the TITANIC concerts that were talked about but never materialised slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2011 edited
    Also a Lord of the Rings concert in Rotterdam (4 & 5 June) at De Doelen:
    http://www.lordoftheringslive.nl/

Olalala!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2011
    I rarely feel inspired to share press releases, but this one feels good enough to be worth passing on...

--

The American Express Symphony At The Park concerts are two uniquely themed symphonic performances commemorating and charting the history of the legendary Abbey Road Studios in the majestic grounds of West Londonʼs Chiswick House and Gardens on 20th and 21st August 2011.

August 21 presents a celebration of Abbey Road Studio's illustrious film music history, produced by Abbey Road's Jonathan Allen and Varèse Sarabande's Robert Townson, featuring Joel McNeely conducting the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and the Crouch End Festival Chorus. The extraordinary program will include music by John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Alex North, Howard Shore, George Fenton, Gabriel Yared, Philippe Sarde, James Horner, Joel McNeely and more!

Gates to the performance grounds open at 5:30 pm, from when you are invited to settle down on the spacious lawns in front of the main performance stage. The concert starts at 7:15 pm with an introduction to the concert program and history of the studios before the 80 piece orchestra start the main performance. There is an interval at 8:30 pm and the concert is due to conclude by 10:00 pm.

Don't miss this historic look back over the magical history of the legendary Abbey Road Studios!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh wow!
    Now that does sound great!
    I really have to try and make an effort for that one!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    August 21 presents a celebration of Abbey Road Studio's illustrious film music history, produced by Abbey Road's Jonathan Allen and Varèse Sarabande's Robert Townson, featuring Joel McNeely conducting the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and the Crouch End Festival Chorus. The extraordinary program will include music by John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Alex North, Howard Shore, George Fenton, Gabriel Yared, Philippe Sarde, James Horner, Joel McNeely and more!

I have a strong feeling that this will be a future Varese CD Club release.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wow! That's a fantastic location. shocked

How much is a ticket?
    Kazoo
  3. I can't seem to find prices. Tickets go on sale on 18th July. Is that correct?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You can already buy tickets I think (well, you could last night when I checked) from a link on Varese's news page. I think they were £45 each.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Expensive.

I'll see what I can do when I'm back from Spain, and how much of you are up for this. Programme and location are promising so far!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Expensive.

I'll see what I can do when I'm back from Spain, and how much of you are up for this. Programme and location are promising so far!

Are you supposed to attend every single film music event this year? wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2011 edited
    Except for Ubeda and Ghent, I haven't attended the Barry concert, Fimucité in Tenerife, and I will not be able to attend Birmingham. I call that a weak year overall. sad

wink
    Kazoo
  4. OK hopefully this will not be seen as spam, I just want to help you all with a list of concerts. A friend of mine has a website that has a huge collection of concerts dates where film music will be playing all over the world.
    See his site: http://www.moviesinconcert.nl/

If you know a concert with film music you can submit it there.
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2011
    Ha! That's excellent, Stefan!
    All good information in one place!
    Very useful indeed!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. I was asked to post this here to thank Erik Woods and James Southall. The American Express Symphony at the Park concert was not there yet. Now it is:

http://www.moviesinconcert.nl/index.php … mp;id=1606
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2012 edited
    The Matrix Live in Lille/Rijsel (France)
    Friday 22 February (20:00)
    Sundat 24 February (16:00)

Info and tickets

I'd like to go on Friday. Who's in!? It's about a small hour from Ghent.
    Kazoo
  6. wow, looks cool. I think I'm in for Friday

we return directly after that? yes?
    by car I presume?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2012 edited
    Sure! We can go out in Lille too. Beautiful old part.
    Kazoo
  7. Don't forget the LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA in PARIS ON MARCH 2013 performing JOHN WILLIAMS FILM MUSIC !!
  8. On 14-04-2014 I'm gonna see (and hear) Ennio Morricone in Cologne. (About 70 km from my place.)

Yeah! punk

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.