• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Every year the Berlin Philharmonics end the concert season with an open air concert in the Waldbühne Berlin, a location comparable to the Hollywood Bowl. Those annual concerts always address some special topic. (American Night, Italian Night, Opera...) This Sunday it will for the first time be film music. The concert will be conducted by Sir Simon Rattle. It will be broadcast in many countries world wide.
    Edmund, will you be there?

Volker

This was the line up:

1. 20th Century Fox Fanfare - Alfred Newman
    2. Mutiny on the Bounty: Theme - Bronislaw Kaper
    3. Suite from Laura - David Raksin
    4. Piano Concerto No 1 - Edvard Grieg featuring Lang Lang

5. The Big Country: Theme - Jerome Moross
    6. Suite from The Adventures of Robin Hood - Erich Wolfgang Korngold
    7. Suite from Tom and Jerry - Scott Bradley
    8. Ben-Hur: Overture & Parade of the Charioteers - Miklos Rozsa
    8. Raiders of the Lost Ark: Raider's March - John Williams
    9. E.T.: The Flying Theme - John Williams
    10. Main Theme Suite from Star Wars - John Williams

11. Berliner Luft - Paul Lincke (The usual "get-out" in these concerts.)

They didn't point out why they included the Grieg concerto in this film music line up. Maybe it's just the general late romantic connection. It certainly didn't feel alien in this context. Maybe the music featured prominently in some film.

Great concert, great performance.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. So, Timmer, how was Glastonbury? I saw a concert Coldplay did there on TV on Sonday. That was 2012 or something. How did you fare this year?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2015
    They had Kanye.

slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2015
    Didn't see him. ( in fact I'd rather use a cheese grater sprinkled in anthrax on my eyelids than see that twonk )

I hear he didn't go down too well with the Glasto audience?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2015 edited
    I didn't like the fact that someone in the crowd held a flag up showing a blown-up pic of Kim Kardashian performing a sex act ( taken from some infamous leaked sex tape ), that's a low thing to do. I'm all for bringing this twonk down a peg or two thousand but that was just hateful nastiness.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2015
    Next March they are doing Raiders Of The Lost Ark live to picture at the Royal Albert Hall. Would anybody like to go and see this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked

A BIT depending on the actual date, YES, PLEASE.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2015 edited
    Saturday 12th March. They are doing it at 2.30pm and 7.00pm. Concert and pub could be a good day out.

Details: http://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/ … fault.aspx
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Shit. sad
    Not a chance.
    Family obligations.

cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2015 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Saturday 12th March. They are doing it at 2.30pm and 7.00pm. Concert and pub could be a good day out.

Details: http://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/ … fault.aspx

Cool! That's doable in one day. Except there are no pubs around RAH?!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Bregt wrote
    Except there are no pubs around RAH?!

There are but not many. I believe we ended up in The Queen's Arms before the Morricone concert a few years ago.

If anyone can't make it to the London concerts, there are numerous performances taking place in Luzern in December 2015.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Jim Ware wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Except there are no pubs around RAH?!

There are but not many. I believe we ended up in The Queen's Arms before the Morricone concert a few years ago.

If anyone can't make it to the London concerts, there are numerous performances taking place in Luzern in December 2015.

Yeah, and we had our pre-concert dinner at the pizza place two years ago. But that was where the subway stops (Kensington?), the only place with pubs and restaurants. There are absoutely zero pubs in a rough 1 km radius of the RAH, if memory serves. It's totally baffling.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    As Jim said, The Queens Arms (where we ended up before the Morricone concert) is the closest pub. (Fun fact: that's also the street where Daniel Craig's character lives in Layer Cake). There are some other cafes/restaurants less than 10 minutes walk from there too (around South Kensington station). Other than that, it's mostly a residential area plus the RAH.

I've got my tickets for the evening Raiders concert so will definitely be in the area. Hope to see some of you as well (if I don't already in Ghent!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2015
    I really want to go here, but the Brian Tyler concert is just weeks after, and I'm not bloody made of money.
    What to do, what to do? crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2015
    Oh. Does that mean you'll be in London for the Tyler concert?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2015 edited
    No, it means I may be in London for either, but unlikely both!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2015
    Ah, f*ck it. I'm going to the Tyler concert.
    I already once saw Davis conduct a Chaplin concert.
    Maybe when I feel really rich and motivated in two months time I might go again, but for now seeing Tyler's work performed live is the bigger attraction!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    punk

I decided to go to the Zimmer Live concert tour (in Brussels). It's expensive enough.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Zimmer...Zimmer.... I know that name. Didn't he used to write movie scores back in the day? Before he went all noisy, buzzy and artsy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2015 edited
    Bregt wrote
    punk

I decided to go to the Zimmer Live concert tour (in Brussels). It's expensive enough.

Cool. I, too, would have gone in a heartbeat if the concert was a short train ride away. Alas, I have to consider a host of other things. Brussels is a great city, which I love, but since I was just there and will probably be back next year, London or Berlin is a more attractive alternative (flight costs are almost the same).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I'm picking a concert closest to my place, so probably Łódź out of the three Polish venues.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  4. I supPoznan he will, at that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I warsaw that one coming from a mile away. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    You guys Krakow me up.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ahhh, Borderline humour eh!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Borderline? I'd say bi-polish.
  5. This is a terrible Stettin of affairs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    Bregt wrote
    punk

Cool. I, too, would have gone in a heartbeat if the concert was a short train ride away. Alas, I have to consider a host of other things. Brussels is a great city, which I love, but since I was just there and will probably be back next year, London or Berlin is a more attractive alternative (flight costs are almost the same).

Okay, I was a bit too enthusiast. I've just seen the seats and concert hall, and the trailer of the concert. I'm less attracted to go now. I'm stupid.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPW_BDYygew
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn

Oh dear.
    Is it just me or does this set list / his music not lend itself AT ALL to a concert setting?
    I felt a bit of subtitute embarassment even listening to those power chords with mandolins and violins in a concert hall...