• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2015
    Yeah, I thought it was a bit awkward myself.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2015 edited
    I read this yesterday about the accoustics in London concert halls...
    https://acousticengineering.wordpress.c … ert-halls/

I'm jealous of the concert halls in Britain. Is the above article nitpicking or is some of it really an issue?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2015 edited
    I can hardly think of any other film composer that is MORE suited for a more rock-infused type of concert than this. I've seen the teaser, I've seen the behind-the-scenes of last year's concert and I've seen bits from the concert itself. It looks absolutely stunning! Plus I've seen Zimmer live twice already, in other settings, and it's all been fantastic.

So for me, it's ONLY a matter of getting the finances in order.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That's the problem: it doesn't feel 'rock-infused' at all (in fact, I'm expecting that from Tyler).
    Rather it seems to be mainstream-classic with an electronic beat and some world musicians that look good, but get utterly lost in the mix. A bit James Last-y, really.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    I'm jealous of the concert halls in Britain. Is the above article nitpicking or is some of it really an issue?

It does feel a bit like those posts by people who keep insisting they "hear" the difference between a WAV file and 320 Kbps MP3 encoding. But let us to sample this ourselves come the new year!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    James Last!?! Oh, you jester.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. James Last would have done that much better.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    I can hardly think of any other film composer that is MORE suited for a more rock-infused type of concert than this. I've seen the teaser, I've seen the behind-the-scenes of last year's concert and I've seen bits from the concert itself. It looks absolutely stunning! Plus I've seen Zimmer live twice already, in other settings, and it's all been fantastic.

So for me, it's ONLY a matter of getting the finances in order.

The Inception Suite and Driving Miss Daisy selection at the WSA some years ago were great, but that had a live symphony orchestra behind it, so the impact was much bigger than what I see on these videos. It really sounds a bit off. But I could be wrong.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    James Last would have done that much better.

I actually agree. I had another example in mind (one of The Netherlands' classical embarassments, and obviously massively popular), but as likely no one but Joep and Bob would have gotten it I thought better of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Symphony Hall in Birmingham is a fantastic space. Shame he can't host it there. I saw the David Arnold concert there this year and it sounded amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think that's the best concert hall I've been to in Britain. I was so disappointed Elfman did his concert (which was symphonic) at the arena next door instead, presumably because it has a bigger capacity - but it was very far from being full. Would have been so much better at Symphony Hall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2015
    It is a Zimmer concert. Bring ear plugs :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2015
    Caliburn wrote
    It is a Zimmer concert. Bring ear plugs :-)

As I have tinnitus, I bring that to all rock concerts anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. This board rapidly turns into a tinnitus support group. wink
  3. Thor could start a new forum. "The Evils of Tinnitus, Bombast and Lengthy Film Score Albums"
  4. On October 22nd I'll see Jean Michel Jarre on his Electronica Tour in Düsseldorf. smile cool
    (Thor, on 28th he'll be in Oslo.)

And the next day I'll attend a concert of Strauss's Alpine Symphony including a slide show. So that will be a music weekend of epic proportions.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    On October 22nd I'll see Jean Michel Jarre on his Electronica Tour in Düsseldorf. smile cool
    (Thor, on 28th he'll be in Oslo.)

Yeah, I know. But I think I'm skipping it this year. I've already seen him live 5 times, in various places and circumstances. I did just order two physical copies of the set, though. But enjoy!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2016
    Some up-coming concerts in Switzerland, performed by the 21st Century Symphony Orchestra:

September 16, 2016: "Movie Classics in Concert - Music in Motion", KKL Luzern, Switzerland (conducted by Ludwig Wicki)
    October 14 till 16, 2016: "E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial" Live in Concert, KKL Luzern, Switzerland (conducted by David Newman)
    November 4 till 6, 2016: "Interstellar" Live in Concert, KKL Luzern, Switzerland (conducted by Gavin Greenaway)
    December 10, 2016: "And the Winner is...", oscar-winning film music in concert, KKL Luzern, Switzerland (conducted by Ludwig Wicki).

More concert announcements coming soon!

More information on www.facebook.com/21co_21cc and on www.21co.ch (only in German, sorry!).

Would love to welcome some of you for one/some of those or other soon announced concerts.
    • CommentAuthorMilan NS
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2016
    Macca in Prague on 16 june. Carpenter in Vienna on 3 november.
  5. Someone from Lyon lurking here who possibly saw this?

Volker
  6. Jean-Michel Jarre tonight in Düsseldorf. I'll report back tomorrow! cool
  7. Brilliant light show. Very loud. Nice combination of recent cues and classic material. JMJ was in great mood an so was the audience.
    What I didn't like so much was, that he put an EDM like pattern over all the material. This turned the whole concert in a rave like experience. This is not my favourite version of JMJ but that's just me. (I guess, Thor would have loved that.)
    Overall a great night.
    Oh, and the encore was Oxygene Part 17 from the forthcoming new album Oxygene 3.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2016
    Sounds good. Wish I wasn't totally drained for money -- would love to have gone to my 6th Jarre concert when he gets here next week.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Carmen by Georges Bizet
    A concert suite.

The Alpine Symphony by Richard Strauss
    played against a slide show that depicted a tour in the Watzmann area. Great!

Our local Symphony Orchestra. Not 24 hours after Jean-Michel Jarre that was quite a contrast!

smile Volker
  9. Went to a very nice film music concert here in Bristol last night performed by the Bristol symphony and apart from a few fluffed notes here and there it was a glorious night and all for £12 a ticket in these frugal times! The programme was:

The Dam Busters
    The Godfather
    Dr Zhivago
    Three Pieces from Schindler’s List
    Jaws Suite (The Two Tracks from the first Spielberg/Williams album)
    Ride of the Valkyries
    Psycho
    Cinema Paradiso
    The second movement of Beethoven's 7th
    Wolf Hall
    Road to Perdition
    Magnificent Seven
    Chariots of Fire

A joy to hear them all especially the John Williams suites. I'd heard the concert suites from 'Schindler's List' conducted by Williams himself at Tanglewood a few years ago but I never thought I'd hear the end of the concert version of 'The Shark Cage Fugue' performed live, such a treat!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2016 edited
    Decent programme, John. Nice that they included something like ROAD TO PERDITION and WOLF HALL among the 'usual suspects'. But I wonder why they always have to sneak classical pieces into these concerts.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Yeah, usually I find it a bit annoying, classical music gets performed all the time so it almost feels like a waste of potential film music playing time. But I love all things Beethoven and Wagner so I just decide to revel in it all!
  11. I'm in Poland for the weekend and was at a great concert with the Warsaw Philharmonic last night. Great program, Korngold's 'Sursum Corda', Lalo's 'Symphonie Espagnole' and Stravinsky's 'Petrushka' to finish off. The playing was absolutely incredible and the tickets only cost £10! If anyone visits Warsaw I can't recommend a trip to see them enough, a wonderful night!
  12. John Chambers wrote
    I'm in Poland for the weekend and was at a great concert with the Warsaw Philharmonic last night. Great program, Korngold's 'Sursum Corda', Lalo's 'Symphonie Espagnole' and Stravinsky's 'Petrushka' to finish off. The playing was absolutely incredible and the tickets only cost £10! If anyone visits Warsaw I can't recommend a trip to see them enough, a wonderful night!

Check your PM!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  13. For you Belgian fans, apparently Hans Zimmer is returning to Belgium this year (20/06/2017) in Antwerpen Sportpaleis.

I think I plan on going, but the cheapest tickets are already sold out so everyone should better decide fast. I didn't see his show last year so, this might be a good time.

Tickets range from 51 (apparently already sold out) 61, 81, 101 and 141 euros.
    Hans Zimmer
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh