• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2014
    Southall wrote
    so I guess I'll be disappointed (until Desplat's famous enough to have his own concert).

http://lso.co.uk/lso-on-film-the-music- … re-desplat
  1. I attended the annual film music concert of our local philharmonic orchestra in Siegen (Westphalia) yesterday night. This film music gala has a tradition of 15 years now and like the past years, the show is played three nights sold out.

Conductor and orchestra were in a genial mood and we experienced a concert of esprit and elegance.

The line-up was as follows:

20th Century Fox Fanfare – Newman
    Theme from “The Sea Hawk” – Korngold
    Concert suite from “Ivan the Terrible” – Prokofiev
    “Parade of the Charioteers from Ben Hur”- Miklos Rozsa

(Intermission)

Concert suite from “Titanic” – James Horner
    Out of Africa – John Barry
    “Chicago” – John Kander (That was a new one for me, but then I’m no jazzman.)
    “From Russia with Love” – John Barry
    “Goldfinger” – John Barry
    Concert suite from “Raiders of the Lost Ark” - Williams

(Encores)

“Murder at the Gallop”-Ron Goodwin
    “Pirates of the Caribbean” – Klaus Badelt (Two times because the audience went nuts. The conductor called the piece “Our time’s Radetzky March”.)

A brilliant night!
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Captain Future wrote
    “Pirates of the Caribbean” – Klaus Badelt (Two times because the audience went nuts. The conductor called the piece “Our time’s Radetzky March”.)

And yet they still keep getting the composer wrong!
  3. I know. But the official composer is Klaus Badelt. So what is the conductor supposed to say? It's a bilt like the James Bond Theme thingy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2014
    Talking of Bond, From Russia With Love was written by Lionel Bart not John Barry.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Interesting. They played what you might call a suite, so there probably was music from both, Bart and Barry. Most of it was an instrumental statement of the theme song though, so I guess, Bart should have been mentioned.

Edit: I don't own the score CD but I consulted the 40 years Silva Barry collection. They don't credit Bart either. Yet Wiki is very clear about his involvement:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Russi … ndtrack%29
  5. Copied over from an FSM post:

The legendary composer Ennio Morricone will bring his “50 Years of Music – World Tour”
    to The O2 on Wednesday 10 December.

The most prolific composer in the history of film music will be performing the greatest
    works from his career that spans over 50 years, with a 160 member symphony orchestra
    and polyphonic choir. Ennio Morricone is a five-time Oscar nominee who has scored over
    500 films, the best known being the classic westerns including For A Few Dollars More
    and The Good The Bad and the Ugly, as well as other iconic movies such as: The Untouchables,
    The Mission, Cinema Paradiso and more recently Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained and before
    that Kill Bill.

Last year Morricone won the European Film Award for Best Composer for his score to
    the movie The Best Offer.Morricone is the only composer ever to win the prestigious honorary

Oscar award (2007) in recognition of his “magnificent and multifaceted contributions to the art of film music.”
    He was also nominated for a further five Oscars throughout his career and has won two Grammy Awards,
    two Golden Globes, five BAFTAs, seven David di Donatello Award, eight Nastro d'Argento Awards
    as well as the Polar Music Prize.
    In 2009 the President of France bestowed him with the prestigeous Legion d’honneur.

Esteemed by legendary figures in music such as Quincy Jones and contemporary film
    directors as Martin Scorsese, Ennio Morricone is an iconic contemporary composer of our time.

Tickets Now on Sale!
    http://www.theo2.co.uk/event/ennio-morr … 41210.html
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. I saw this posted today at another score forum:

Hi All

Poised to repeat the success of their 2013 Michael Kamen concert, the Royal College of Music's Film Orchestra is returning on Wednesday 2nd July 2014 at 7.30pm, for another gig featuring more music by the greatly missed Michael Kamen.

The programme will include music from Michael's scores for The Three Musketeers, What Dreams May Come and others, as well as two world premieres by RCM Composition of Screen composers. The concert will feature artwork from the Royal College of Art and some scores will be performed live to film.

The concert is free but tickets required. Taking place in the Amaryllis Fleming Concert Hall at the RCM, Prince Consort Road, London SW7 2BS. Presented by the RCM Student Association.

http://www.rcm.ac.uk/events/listings/details/?id=388882

Box office 020 7591 4314

For those who publish film music periodicals or run film music websites, please would you be so kind as to include a listing in your next editions. If I see you there, the drinks are on me (we can share a can of coca cola!).

Thank you and regards,
    Dirk Wickenden
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. Jerry Golodsmith concert:

http://www.filmmusicprague.com/program_en.html
  8. Ennio Morricone in Gologne / Germany on June 22th has been cancelled. sad

After cancellation of the US concerts this was to be expected. Unfortunate news anyway. I'm sure to speak for everyone here in wishing the maestro all the best and and in particular a quick recovery.

Volker
  9. I'll be in Cologne on May 1st 2015 for

The Sound of Hollywood

The City of Prague Philharmonics; Nic Raine.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2015
    An SST group will be in Prague in Arpil:

http://www.filmmusicprague.com/program_en.html

Sadly no Harry and John present.
  10. I attended a classical concert tonight. It was all Tchaikovsky: Contert for piano and orchestra no. 2 and the fifth symphony. I had a great time.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2015
    Going to see/hear Michel Legrand in concert on Friday. I know very little of his music (apart from his theme to "The Thomas Crown Affair"). But the concert was 12€ and right across the street from where I live. So it would be stupid not to go smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2015
    Yup, it would be!

(Details are still not up for the Rozsa concert in Prague. sad
    They'll update us at the end of the month, I think)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2015 edited
    Ok, went to the Michel Legrand concert yesterday. Turned out that, although advertised as a filmmusic concert, only the first part of it was music from his scores (and only 3 lenghty pieces/suites (Picasso Summer, Le Messager and Suite des Parapluies de Cherbourg)). The second part contained of concert pieces (some, if not all, were brand new compositions) written for cello, performed by French cellist Henri Demarquette.

I'm not a fan of Mr. Legrand's music, so I'm propably not the right person the judge the concert. However I liked the first part of it (the filmmusic), but the concert pieces, not so much. There were moment here and there that were interesting, but for the most part it was just plain boring. smile In general I think many concert pieces written for solo artists are often overlenghty and dragged out (to showcase the artist's skills, I guess?) - this was also the case here.

On the plus side though, Mr. Legrand was very entertaining and I've never seen a conductor play the piano while conducting an orchestra - very impressive! smile Henri Demarquette and the rest of the orchestra also played very skillfully, so my beef with the concert has nothing to do with the musicians involved, just the choice of music.

But if you are a fan, I'm sure you would have liked the concert. For anyone interested, Michel Legrand is taking the concert to France in the upcoming days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2015 edited
    Even if you didn't like the music, he's still one of the few remaining legends of his generation -- along with Williams, Morricone, Quincy Jones, Lai, Schifrin and a few others. I'm envious! In fact, I tried to get an interview when he was in Oslo last year, but never even received a response from his agency.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2015
    Yes he is, and for that I am also glad that I attended the concert. And like I said, I liked the filmmusic that was played. Just a little dissatisfied that they advertised the concert as a filmmusic concert, when there were only 3 pieces of filmmusic (although lengthy pieces) smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2015
    While we're on the subject of concert works by film composers, is anyone going to the premiere of Horner's Collages in London on Friday?
  11. http://hollywoodinvienna.com/en

James Newton Howard at Vienna this year, think I'm going to go, anyone else interested?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2015
    John Chambers wrote
    http://hollywoodinvienna.com/en

James Newton Howard at Vienna this year, think I'm going to go, anyone else interested?

I was fortunate enough to both see him live and interview him in Ghent in 2012, so it's not as a 'pressing matter' in that regard. Would have been nice, but if I have to prioritize between this and, say, the Silvestri event in Ghent a couple of weeks later, I'll do the latter.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorLokutus
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2015
    Just confirmed!

Harry Gregson-Williams will attend 4th annual Film Music Prague festival on April 23rd, 2015!
    He will join Fernando Velázquez in concert featuring selection of his works including many of the greatest hits such as SINBAD: LEGEND OF THE SEVEN SEAS, CHRONICLES OF NARNIA, SHREK, SPY GAME, BRIDGET JONES 2 and KINGDOM OF HEAVEN. He will also conduct selected piece(s) on the programme, which will feature Czech National Symphony Orchestra, Kuhn's Choir of Prague and soprano Markéta Mátlová.

The rest of the programme will be conducted by renowned James Shearman with exception of Fernano Velázquez's part of the programme, which will be conducted entirely by the composer himself and will feature many of his greatest hits including highly exptected world premiere of his new score for Guillermo Del Toro's CRIMSON PEAK.

The concert will also include tribute to John Powell and will present exclusive world premiere of his brand new HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 Suite as well as X-MEN: THE LAST STAND, CHICKEN RUN and ICE AGE: THE MELTDOWN.

The tickets are still available at http://www.filmmusicprague.com
  12. I'll see the City of Prague Philharmonics conducted by Nick Raine in Cologne tonight. They are touring Germany currently.

smile Volker
  13. Captain Future wrote
    I'll see the City of Prague Philharmonics conducted by Nick Raine in Cologne tonight. They are touring Germany currently.

smile Volker

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b85uvhpy5x3wj … e.jpg?dl=0

So this was The Sound of Hollywood 2015. And what a fine night it was! Nick Raine was in excellent mood and so was the orchestra. The set list was as follows:

The Sound of Hollywood Fanfare - Hans Zimmer
    Theme from Mission Impossible - Lalo Schifrin
    Suite from Goldfinger - John Barry
    Suite from Dances with Wolves - John Barry
    Theme from Out of Africa - John Barry
    The Raiders March from Raiders of the Lost Ark - John Williams
    Rose Theme from Titanic (Piano and Orchestra) - James Horner
    Theme from Jaws - John Williams
    Suite from Star Wars - John Williams
    Break
    Suite from Harry Potter - John Williams
    May it Be from LOTR The Fellowship of the Ring - Enya; Howard Shore. Performed by Chloe Agnew
    Chevaliers de Sangreal from The Da Vinci Code - Hans Zimmer
    Suite from Love Actually - Craig Armstrong
    Come What May from Moulin Rouge - David Baerwald. Performed by Chloe Agnew
    Suite from The Dark Knight and Batman Begins - Hans Zimmer; James Newton Howard
    Encores:
    Suite from Pirates of the Caribbean - Klaus Badelt
    End Credits from How to Train Your Dragon - John Powell

And those encores really rocked the House.
    This is of course a mainstream set list, nothing really surprising, but is was expertly executed.
    There was Dutch talking left and right, so obviously folks had come over from Belgium and the Netherlands. Great music, great performers, great crowd, great night.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2015
    Dutch talking....you probably bumped into the SST crowd (StreamingSoundtracks). They're EVERYWHERE. Like pod people. smile

Sounds like a great program.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. Thor wrote
    Dutch talking....you probably bumped into the SST crowd (StreamingSoundtracks).

They're Dutch ?!
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2015
    Very! Had a few beers in Vienna at the James Horner bash and I think I saw them in LA when I went to see Johnny Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2015
    Synchrotones wrote
    Thor wrote
    Dutch talking....you probably bumped into the SST crowd (StreamingSoundtracks).

They're Dutch ?!

No, they're multi-national, but it seems to be a significant number of Dutch and Belgian members; at least as far as the most active members are concerned.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2015
    Thor wrote
    Dutch talking....you probably bumped into the SST crowd (StreamingSoundtracks). They're EVERYWHERE. Like pod people. smile

Sounds like a great program.

We were not there I am afraid :-) Next time tell them about SST! We always can use more members :P I have heard about some Germans going there. But the Dutch crew sat that one out.

If some people are going to the Dr Who concerts (http://www.doctorwho.tv/events/doctor-w … r/uk-2015/) We will be there on Saturday :-)
  15. Every year the Berlin Philharmonics end the concert season with an open air concert in the Waldbühne Berlin, a location comparable to the Hollywood Bowl. Those annual concerts always address some special topic. (American Night, Italian Night, Opera...) This Sunday it will for the first time be film music. The concert will be conducted by Sir Simon Rattle. It will be broadcast in many countries world wide.
    Edmund, will you be there?

Volker