• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2017 edited
    Demetris wrote
    amazing Spider-Man 2 is hideous in all its forms, either recorded on disc or live..thanks for the summary and interesting read mate.

No, it's not. My own 30-something minute playlist is actually an excellent listening experience. It's a good score, but over-represented on the extended soundtrack.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    not for me mate, messy , loud, noisy, and those evil male shouts and screams that conquer the whole score are laughable imo. Horner did such a wonderful job on ams1, then shit came out hit the roof, and then back to restoration of logic with giacchino now, thank god smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, agree to disagree, then. Love the 'whispering' chants (not screams!) of the film's antagonist, which reflects his troubled and scatterbrained mind spiralling out of control. But I agree that Horner's was good too. Giacchino's was horrible, as you would expect.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2017
    expect from you? yes wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Spider-Man was quite impressive to me at the show. But I WAS wearing ear-plugs at that time.
  1. Demetris wrote
    not for me mate, messy , loud, noisy, and those evil male shouts and screams that conquer the whole score are laughable imo. Horner did such a wonderful job on ams1, then shit came out hit the roof, and then back to restoration of logic with giacchino now, thank god smile

Totally disagree. TASM 2 is not messy at all. It's one of the best-structured scores Hans has written in a while. In terms of pure thematic structure it's the closest to the leitmotivic structure he's been since Prince of Egypt if not Peacemaker.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The non-Zimmer fan gives a thumbs up for Zimmer's Spidey score thumbs
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. So do I. Compelling blend of electronic an analogue elements.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Damn. Am I suddenly on the majority side now? wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2017
    quick there's still time to dislike that horrible mess of noise in order to remain hipster , come to this side it's better smile
  3. PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris wrote

Totally disagree. TASM 2 is not messy at all. It's one of the best-structured scores Hans has written in a while. In terms of pure thematic structure it's the closest to the leitmotivic structure he's been since Prince of Egypt if not Peacemaker.

I think At World's End should be in the mix there somewhere, no? But I agree with everyone who's not Demetris about Zimmer's Spidey score. I can see why someone might dislike it but calling it a mess is not accurate or fair.
  4. At World's End with all its more traditional approach actually gets away with having a more Goldsmithian structure with most of the score (when the situation doesn't make/force him to reuse previous themes from the franchise) is based on a single long-lined theme which gets divided into chunks.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. JNH (Antwerp Elisabethzaal 11/11/2017)

Well, I'm thinking a lot of people already heard other reports of the previous tour concerts, but here's mine for those who are interested.

First of all, setting is all that matters. And the recently renewed concert hall of Queen Elisabeth makes everything better. Not only is it a beautiful hall and building but far out the best I've ever heard. The purity alone was amazing. Those trumpets never sounded better. Like JNH said, it was the best he already heard his music played in and I agree that it made his music soar.

The shortened main title of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them morphed into the long suite of Snow White and the Huntsman. For those that attended the WSA with James Newton Howard, it was pretty much the same. With the amazing choral music that I didn't hear at all on the original soundtrack and a much longer finale which again didn't make the cut. Everyone agrees upon hearing this that Snow White suddenly became a much more rewarding experience than on disc. Amazing.

A lot of portions of The Hunger Games (Cathing Fire, Mockingjay Part 2 and the first film) again all morphed into one piece, and while the first portions are decent, they made all the more sense the moment "Horns of Plenty" was brought into the mix. Again, hearing it live and in that setting made that theme soar. And the dialogue of Donald Sutherland at the end made for a soaring finale. WOW.

Another highlight was Peter Pan, again mixing dialogue of the film into the music, but never distracting. Suddenly it made sense for the people who were attending their first concert of filmmusic (like my parents in law) and it was just so wonderfully chosen. Hearing the "Flying" music now without electronics was truly worth it, and again the way it went towards a finale was simply astonishing. I love how these suites were created, they often put tiny pieces together but they always went for the big bang. The way filmmmusic always needs to be.

The trio of Shyamalan scores (Signs, The Sixth Sense and The Last Airbender) was heard before James gave the audience a small lesson in music. After all he started playing on the piano, the 3 note motif of Signs and how Night loved that tiny idea. He Loved it so much that James got the task to make it both sound dangerous and lovely. This small tiny detail opened many eyes I think by showing that there's an idea behind filmmusic. After that "Main Titles" morphed into "The Hand of Fate" (just like on the WSA) but now leaping straight into The Sixth Sense (which didn't deliver its best moments), but fortunately "Flow Like Water" of The Last Airbender did, and hearing this piece live with the final send off of the choir was amazing. Goes to show what kind of power a choir can unleash, the kind of power that was never heard on the original CD (what was the reason again, too much money on licensing?) Anyway, for any filmmusic fan this was one of the ultimate bests of the evening.

We concluded the first part with Wyatt Earp (with the lovely "main title" and "love theme") going seamlessly into "The Hanging Tree". Sadly this one failed because of Blanche's awkward singing. I mean she can sing but swallowed half of the words in the process that it became almost embarrassing. She even forgot the first "Are You" when she started to appear on stage and she never recovered from that mistake. Still, what a choir.

Act 2 was much more diverse but definitely worth it nonetheless. Dinosaur (which was my girlfriends' favorite because she loved the score so much) was having goosebumps while hearing "The Egg Travels" live. And I have to say it sounded AMAAAZIIINGG. King Kong even showed briefly the power of music when addressing a scene first without music, then with it. But sadly they picked the wrong scene. They started with the reunion of Anne and King Kong in New York but they forgot to bring them together on the ice (still the finest moment of James Newton Howard's score), but luckily they gave us a thundering combination of both the King Kong fanfare with the action/dramatic theme after that. And boy did it rock the hall. Again, my girlfriend who hasn't heard the score yet was having goosebumps once again.

After that a pair of romantic comedies were heard, Dave on Piano (though not the main titles but the theme of Dave), the theme of Pretty Woman which is actually quite lovely and the scherzo of My Best Friends' Wedding.

"Tarawa" of Snow Falling on Cedards was another highlight and boy did I miss that piece on the WSA. Wow, hearing that piece live goes to show what kind of an impact JNH has given audiences around the world with his music. Again hearing it in that hall made all bad things disappear for 4 minutes.

The Village was a treat for my mother in law (which loved solo violins performances) and so with the "Gravel Road" she was really having the time of her life. And perhaps the biggest surprise came from Blood Diamond after that. They gave us the wonderful choral moments of that score, but especially the singer (who's name I can't pronounce, not even James could wink ) gave us one of the most amazing vocal performances I ever heard live. If Lebo M can't do the upcoming The Lion King, believe you me pick her instead. Jeezus, what a voice!

With the great "Harvey Dent suite" of The Dark Knight we went to the highlight of the evening. A suite, THE killer suite of Fantastic Beasts. Again, if you pick the best moments of the film and want them performed live, you will not get it any better than this. The second part of the main titles, the escape music with that exciting action theme and the soaring, absolutely soaring finale at the end of the film. It even gave us a small climatic fanfare at the end when it quickly unleashed all movies on screen for one amazing send off. Wow the audience of course reacted with a powerful standing ovation and applause.

Which led to 2 bonus pieces, The lovely Prince of Tides but above all a masterful suite of Malifecent. Again hearing that soaring theme live made me realize that this orchestra was simply put amazing.

For those who were there, and I was grateful to see several familiar faces (Bregje, Ad and Stefan of Streaming Soundtracks, Patty and Maxime), I think they will all agree that despite missing several scores I would love to have heard live, this evening was nearly flawless. Everything was top notch and the concert hall absolutely absorbed every single note of music so fluently. It truly became the best listening experience I've ever heard during a concert experience. Oh and if they ever gonna release those suites of this tour someday, I think people are going to go nuts.

9,5 out of 10.

Thanks a lot to James Newton Howard in particular for making my evening (and that of my unknowing parents in law and girlfriend) one I'll treasure for life.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2017
    Sounds like a brilliant evening, Thomas. But why he doesn't play anything from WATERWORLD -- his magnum opus, IMO -- is bewildering.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    Sounds like a brilliant evening, Thomas. But why he doesn't play anything from WATERWORLD -- his magnum opus, IMO -- is bewildering.

I have no idea, that would have been the icing on the cake.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2017
    I still do not agree with the best venue though. The hall was very good, but to top Concertgebouw in Amsterdam? That is one hard nut to crack.

I will start writing my report very soon. Was nice meeting you again Thomas!
  7. Caliburn wrote
    I still do not agree with the best venue though. The hall was very good, but to top Concertgebouw in Amsterdam? That is one hard nut to crack.

I will start writing my report very soon. Was nice meeting you again Thomas!

I haven't been to Amsterdam yet, so I can't compare smile . But in case of purity of sound it was the best so far.
    Indeed nice to see you again, quick but good wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2017
    Well at least we had one encore more apparently than Amsterdam :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2017 edited
    Thanks for the report Thomas. Slightly envious. However, the WSA concert 4 years ago was also very good. I'm glad I caught that one at least.

I attended The Great War Remembered concert, annually held in the cathedral of Ypres, organised by the Last Post Association. A colleague of mine plays horn in the concert band Ypriana (lots of brass), which is quite a celebrated band in the region. He had invited me several times before, but only this year, after I decided to skip JNH, I agreed to buy a ticket. What a fine and varied concert. Pieces related to the theme (Band of Brothers, Nimrod, Benedictus by Jenkins, ...) were mixed with "Marching band music" (Scottisch bagpipes band and military parade kinda stuff from Devon were present) and some songs (including Nella Fantasia which is a song based upon Gabriel's Oboe dizzy) and music by singers from a native American band (who also fought in the war). It ended with the God Save the Queen (which everyone got stand up for some reason) and the Belgian anthem.

I've never been a fan of the glorification of fighting in war, which the Britisch are very good at unfortunately. But that is a whole other discussion. After the concert, I walked to the Menin Gate where in the morning a large ceremony is held every year, but at that time, 9:30PM, it was mostly empty. Always a special place.

Next year it will mark 100 years since WW1 ended.
    Kazoo
  8. Thanks for your attendance at the Menin Gate and the photo.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. Mid February next year I'll attend the annual film music gala of our local philharmonic orchestra. The program is "Final Frontier" which sounds quite promising. smile
    That gala grows in popularity every year. The play six nights in total and it's nearly sold out already.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2017
    My report is finished of the James Newton Howard concert is online!

https://soundtrackworld.com/2017/11/jam … r-antwerp/
  10. So last night I attended
    Captain Future wrote
    Mid February next year I'll attend the annual film music gala of our local philharmonic orchestra. The program is "Final Frontier" which sounds quite promising. smile
    That gala grows in popularity every year. The play six nights in total and it's nearly sold out already.

Volker

So, that was so much fun!

Suite from Independence Day (David Arnold)
    Suite from The Sound Barrier (Malcolm Arnold)
    Suite from Doctor Zhivago (Maurice Jarre)

Western Medley:
    The Magnificent Seven (Elmer Bernstein)
    How the West Was Won (Alfred Newman)
    Silverado (Bruce Broughton)
    Dances with Wolves (John Barry)

Theme from North And South (Bill Conti)

Theme from Back to the Future (Alan Silvestri)

Science Fiction Medley:
    Alien (Jerry Goldsmith)
    Predator (Alan Silvestri)

Suite from Forrest Gump (Alan Silvestri)

Suite from The Force Awakens (John Williams)
    End Titles Suite from Star Trek Into Darkness (Michael Giacchino; Alexander Courage)

First encore: E.T.: Flying (John Williams)
    Second encore: Suite from Pirates of the Caribbean (Badelt, Zimmer)

smile Volker
  11. Sounds fantastic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2018
    OMG what a concert! Hearing ID4 alone must have been awesome. shocked dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Great programme!
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Indeed. Especially since they had an artist that did "Drawings with Sand". The woman would draw pictures with various sorts of sand live that were projected on a big screen. She made transient pictures for "Doctor Zhivago", "Forrest Gump" and "Pirates of the Caribbean". That was awesome!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Indeed. Especially since they had an artist that did "Drawings with Sand". The woman would draw pictures with various sorts of sand live that were projected on a big screen. She made transient pictures for "Doctor Zhivago", "Forrest Gump" and "Pirates of the Caribbean". That was awesome!

Volker

Yeah, I've seen that on one of those talent show programs on the telly.
    I am extremely serious.