• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007 edited
    Karlheinz Stockhausen

The influential and controversial German composer died today aged 79.

www.bbcnews.

I thought it would be a good idea for a thread to make death announcements rather than personal threads that can clutter up boards....anyone else think this is as good idea?

I do think though, that any important announcement regarding the death of a film composer or board member ....god forbid.....should have it's own thread.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Henning Lohner was his assistant in the 80's.
  2. Oh, he was? Interesting.

Haven't heard anything by Stockhausen yet, but I plan to correct that mistake soon...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Stockhausen sounds very experimental.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2007
    Stockhausen was such an important composer for the 20th century. His work is greatly respected in the academic fields and both performed (where possible wink ) but also studied and analyzed extensively. R.I.P
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Where possible?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Whenever would be a better word, meaning that a lot of his music is too damn difficult to perform.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    OH NO! A true legend and pioneer of electronic music. We would probably never have had a Tangerine Dream, Vangelis, Jean Michel Jarre, Paul Oakenfold or DJ Tiesto without him!

Very sad news. I last saw him when he won the Polar Music Award some years ago (along with Burt Bacharach and Robert Moog). sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The man's been an influence.
    For the rest I'll keep schtumm.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    I recently got a new recording of his "Stimmung". HIGHLY original music...
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Stockhausen was such an important composer for the 20th century. His work is greatly respected in the academic fields and both performed (where possible wink ) but also studied and analyzed extensively. R.I.P

I've never taken the time to listen to music composed by the man himself but I am aware of his influences in film music.

Could someone highlight some pieces of his that would give me a good flavour of his work?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2008
    I'm very saddened to hear about this. sad

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7565754.stm
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2008 edited
    Founder member and keyboard player of Pink Floyd, Richard Wright dies today.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7617363.stm

He really has gone to that Great Gig In The Sky now. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Tim, as an atheist (or whatever you wish to name your non-belief if indeed you wish to name it anything?), I'm surprised at your choice of words for this thread. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Tim, as an atheist (or whatever you wish to name your non-belief if indeed you wish to name it anything?), I'm surprised at your choice of words for this thread. smile

Great Gig In The Sky was composed by Wright, it's on Dark Side of The Moon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No no, you misunderstand me (my bad shame ). The choice of words for the thread title.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    No no, you misunderstand me (my bad shame ). The choice of words for the thread title.

Oh, I see, well, I'm into using whatever works.

Can you suggest a better title?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    I thought it would be a good idea for a thread to make death announcements rather than personal threads that can clutter up boards....

I agree. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I mean yeah I suppose it works if you don't think about it, as a sign of respect and all that. Call me pedantic, but I tend not to say it (in fact, I never say it) simply because of what it implies. It's a tricky one though, it's so ingrained into general consciousness as 'the thing' to say as a sign of respect, it's hard to know what else to say in its stead. Hey, I'm young, idealistic and I'm gonna change the world, I have principles! What can ya do? biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I mean yeah I suppose it works if you don't think about it, as a sign of respect and all that. Call me pedantic, but I tend not to say it (in fact, I never say it) simply because of what it implies. It's a tricky one though, it's so ingrained into general consciousness as 'the thing' to say as a sign of respect, it's hard to know what else to say in its stead. Hey, I'm young, idealistic and I'm gonna change the world, I have principles! What can ya do? biggrin

It's universal ( pardon the phrase, let's not get deep wink ), it works for a thread for a tiny community that's a mote in the eye of god that's.......Stooooopppppppp!

This is about Rick Wright, someone whom I had utmost respect for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    True. Though, for me, the size or even the type of community doesn't effect the semantics I use. Even when my Grandad died I stuck by all these principles and simply celebrated the life he had and not the one that superstition dictates.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Founder member and keyboard player of Pink Floyd, Richard Wright dies today.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7617363.stm

He really has gone to that Great Gig In The Sky now. sad

Cripes!! shocked shocked shocked

This is the first I read of it and a real shock to me!!

You know that I am completist of Pink Floyd, so this really hit me in the guts!

Deep down, I had hoped that the Live 8 reunion a couple of years ago would lead to more reunions or perhaps even an album, but that will never come to pass now.

Also, Rick was truly the SOUL of the band, in addition to Gilmour's guitar solos. The interplay between these two, in particular, make up much of what we consider the Floyd sound today.

I am really, really saddened....I didn't even know he had cancer.

sad
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    True. Though, for me, the size or even the type of community doesn't effect the semantics I use. Even when my Grandad died I stuck by all these principles and simply celebrated the life he had and not the one that superstition dictates.

I couldn't agree more.

And sometimes you just have to bite your tongue out of respect for others around you. I went to the funeral of a good friend about 10 years ago and he was only 34 ( an undetected heart defect ), a few people said "he's in a better place now" and I thought, bollocks is he in a "better place" as the man fucking loved life, but sometimes it's necessary to defer and just keep yer trap shut.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Absolutely. Although it may surprise you to hear this, I'm quite good at keeping one's trap shut for the appropriate situations. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Absolutely. Although it may surprise you to hear this, I'm quite good at keeping one's trap shut for the appropriate situations. wink

Surely not!? wink

I have foot in mouth syndrome.......occasionally.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven,

Don't you think that jumping down to atheism / scientific / whatever paths when someone dies and people express their "rest in peace" condolences is a bitsy bit over the top? (imo).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nope, not at all. The fact that you might say your prayers are with them and that you hope they rest in peace is all very well, and I certainly share the condolences and respect that comes with those sentiments, but I don't share the belief. Just because someone dies, that doesn't mean logic should necessarily be put on the shelf - though it does call for sympathy and caring, which is what I hope I will always strive to do when and if I meet these situations.

Death of a respected or loved individual is a sad time for those who shared a respect or love for the deceased. It should be a time to celebrate any happiness they might have had during their life and mourn their death if need be. It seems to me you think that logical thinking is a soulless and cold stance to take, and it simply isn't the case. I'm a deeply passionate person like yourself Demetris, I just happen to adopt a more logical and reason-based view of the world, and I will not pander to superstitious beliefs so long as they continue to effect the world in a negative way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I can't find a source to corroborate it, but I seem to remember Requiescat In Pace was used well before Christian times (all it means after all is "May (s)he rest in peace". Not much religion or superstition connected to that).

Anyway, never much of a fan of Pink Floyd (well...not at all, to be honest), but both albums he worked on are considered ground-breaking by those either more knowledgeable, gullible or stoned*) than me, so I guess it's one of those markers that too brutally denote the loss of time.

*) any or all may be applicable. All rights reserved. Batteries not included.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    I can't find a source to corroborate it, but I seem to remember Requiescat In Pace was used well before Christian times (all it means after all is "May (s)he rest in peace". Not much religion or superstition connected to that).

Wait, Christianity borrowed ideas from older superstitions? Wow, who knew. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008
    Well it's ok if you think that your loved ones will turn into stones once they leave this word and i have nothing against free belief of anything by everyone, but i truly think that most people like to feel the comfort of consciousness that the departed's presence lies somewhere else besides being converted into mineral and chemical compositions. As for the sense of logic , i am sure you know it can vary largely among people, no matter how hard and firm you believe your own is the only one smile