• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2010 edited
    shocked
    I loved Tony , so I'm very saddened to hear this ...
    The last time I saw him on TV was on one of the talkshows of the BBC .
    The Great Race , The Vikings , Some Like It Hot , Spartacus , Taras Bulba etc ... and of course The Persuaders !
    Great stuff !
    I hope Mr. Curtis gets a good seat up there ... wherever he is ... he earned it !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2010
    Michael Parkinson said he was always an excellent guest on his chat shows, I can vouch for that, the man was charming, witty and fun, a man who never took himself too seriously.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2010 edited
    Stephen J. Cannell , writer , tv producer , actor and loving family man died on friday october 1 age 69 .
    Very saddened to hear this ... sad
    As a kid growing up in the 70's and 80's I watched a lot of Stephen's shows .
    Tenspeed & Brown Shoe , Stingray , Riptide , The A-Team and even in the 90's with Renegade , Cobra ,
    The Commish , Silk Stalkings etc ...
    Mr. Cannell made an impact on us all during that time and even now ...

Mr. Cannell you made some fabulous entertainment and I thank you for it ...

RIP
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2010
    sad

Maybe because he saw what they did with his A-team...
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2010
    Nautilus wrote
    sad

Maybe because he saw what they did with his A-team...

He was one of the producers of the movie , so I'm guessing he was ok with it .
    Mr. Cannell actually died at his Pasadena home of complications of melanoma ...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010
    Sir Norman Wisdom is dead too, at 95 that's a darn good innings.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I used to love watching Norman Wisdom movies as a kid. He was very likable!
  1. Timmer wrote

What's Lee Evans going to do now? Maybe he'll become an official tribute act?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    I used to love watching Norman Wisdom movies as a kid. He was very likable!

Some interesting pre-fame faces in some of his early films such as Oliver Reed and Michael Caine.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

What's Lee Evans going to do now? Maybe he'll become an official tribute act?

Good point biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010
    RIP Maurice Murphy, who was principal trumpet for the LSO for many years and played on all six Star Wars films, Superman, all the David Arnold Bond scores and many others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010
    Southall wrote
    RIP Maurice Murphy, who was principal trumpet for the LSO for many years and played on all six Star Wars films, Superman, all the David Arnold Bond scores and many others.

Sorry to hear that. His name has always been one that I've known about among the A list performers, like Tim Morrison.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2010
    Leslie Nielsen just died of pneumonia. sad 84 years old, so not a bad age.

Naked gun is still one of my alltime favourite comedies. No one could have done that character as well as Leslie.

Peter
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very sad to hear that, he certainly gave me many laughs.

He was also in one of my all time favourite films, Forbidden Planet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    And Airplane, my alltime favourite comedy.

Peter
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    he had a long successful career in hollywood
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    very sad news. He was one of the greatest entertainers. May he rest in peace.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh, I loved his comedy films. Brilliant. Airplane! remains my favourite comedy of them all. Rest in peace.
  2. 84? I never guessed he was already that old !! shocked

The man was a genius of comedic timing, he sure did give me some good times (Police Squad, Naked Gun, and many more).

RIP Leslie
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2010 edited
    He's only a year younger than my own grandfather (who's also pretty close to calling it a day right now).

Anyway, it sucks anyway. One of my childhood heroes through the NAKED GUN series. He apparently wanted to do another, but that never came to pass.

He'll me missed.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Police Squad was my first exposure to Leslie Nielsen. I remember when I still lived with mum and dad in Falkirk writing up my lecture notes in my bedroom and I could hear this uncontrolled laughter coming from the living room. Mum and dad were certainly enjoying whatever was on TV.

I went through to see what was going on and Police Squad was on. Because of the look of the show they were expecting some sort of serious "Quinn Martin Production"-type show and were completely surprised to see this very funny spoof show.

Obviously we all watched every subsequent episode with great joy.

I never saw Airplane! or The Naked Gun films at the cinema and have only occasionally seen one or two of them on TV since so I never really got into these films. Police Squad will always be what I'm reminded of when I think of Nielsen. Which isn't a bad thing!

And it's always a curious thing to see him in Forbidden Planet after having seen him in so many comedic roles. A great film.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    And it's always a curious thing to see him in Forbidden Planet after having seen him in so many comedic roles. A great film.

The film is pants, but the score is a true landmark!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Um, the whole film was a landmark in so many areas in its time. Far from pants!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Correction, the film is brilliant and quite rightly regarded as a sci-fi classic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah
    I'd go so far as to say it's one of the defining films of the genre.

On a personal note, though, de mortuis nil nisi bonum, but it's pretty much the only film I liked Nielsen in.
    But then Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker films have done nothing but annoy the fuck out of me ever since I was 11 or so.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Oh, I loved his comedy films. Brilliant. Airplane! remains my favourite comedy of them all. Rest in peace.

I first saw Airplane on a double bill with Monty Python's The Life of Brian, man but my stomach hurt from laughing the morning after.

p.s. never watch Airplane on any terrestrial channel, it's chopped to bits with nearly all drug and sexual gags removed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    I'd go so far as to say it's one of the defining films of the genre.

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I just head that Irvin Kershner passed away today too.

Ouch, not the best day for film buffs.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Correction, the film is brilliant and quite rightly regarded as a sci-fi classic.

A camp classic, maybe. Sorry, I just find it silly, as I do most sci fi at the time. With a few notable exceptions (METROPOLIS, for example), sci fi didn't really get any good before 2001.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

A camp classic, maybe. Sorry, I just find it silly, as I do most sci fi at the time. With a few notable exceptions (METROPOLIS, for example), sci fi didn't really get any good before 2001.

shocked

Oh, do you mean the film 2001? And not the date 2001?