• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2010
    shocked

well, actually I'm not shocked at all, ....oh Thor rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Oh, do you mean the film 2001? And not the date 2001?

He, he....the FILM, yes. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    shocked

well, actually I'm not shocked at all, ....oh Thor rolleyes

Ah, it's so refreshing with blanket statements once in a while! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2010 edited
    Thor wrote
    I just head that Irvin Kershner passed away today too.

Ouch, not the best day for film buffs.

Him having directed two of the finest, smartest scifi films from well before 2001 (The Empire Strikes Back and the -in my opinion- very unfairly maligned Robocop 2), I find some small solace in that mister Kershner's passing that at least it (admittedly anecdotally) disproves Thor's point in the post above.

(Unless Thor meant the film 2001. Which is just as odd a concept. While I'm happy to leave Thor to his likes and dislikes, to rank Forbidden Planet as a "camp classic"simply isn't true. I doubt anyone who's anyone in film history would agree on that. Nor in that there weren't scores of excellent scifi films before 2001 (either the year or the movie)).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

And I watched Empre Strikes Back with my boy yesterday! So sad. I've only seen two of his films the other being Robocop 2, which isn't terrible but doesn't hold a candle to the original.

RIP Mr. Kershner and thank you for helping create the best Star Wars film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Him having directed two of the finest, smartest scifi films from well before 2001 (The Empire Strikes Back and the -in my opinion- very unfairly maligned Robocop 2), I find some small solace in that mister Kershner's passing that at least it (admittedly anecdotally) disproves Thor's point in the post above.

(Unless Thor meant the film 2001. Which is just as odd a concept. While I'm happy to leave Thor to his likes and dislikes, to rank Forbidden Planet as a "camp classic"simply isn't true. I doubt anyone who's anyone in film history would agree on that. Nor in that there weren't scores of excellent scifi films before 2001 (either the year or the movie)).

As I said above, I meant the FILM 2001, yes, not the date, of course.

To be honest, I've never seen FORBIDDEN PLANET mentioned even once in any film history I've read (and I've read a few). Maybe more genre-oriented histories, though.

The score was the only important thing about it, I think.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    We're drifting off-topic again, but a few noteworthy sci fis before 1968 that I think are pretty cool:

A TRIP TO THE MOON (1902)
    METROPOLIS (1927)
    WOMAN IN THE MOON (1929) -- but only partially. Has lots of dorky moments too.
    FRANKENSTEIN (1931) -- but it's more gothic melodrama than sci fi, anyway
    THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1951)

That's it. There's a bunch of crap after 1968 too, but fortunately it set a new standard for the serious sci fis that followed.

Score-wise, there are many gems from the early period, though.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. On Forbidden Planet, I always think of the effects being quite good for such an early film. Weren't a lot of the creature effects cartoon-effects done by Disney? I need to check...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    ..."MGM had had a full animation department at one time but by 1956 it was largely dismantled. Critical animation effects (landing beam, weapons, Robby overloading, the Id Monster) were provided by Joshua Meador on loan to MGM from Disney". (imdb.com)

Reading through the trivia on Forbidden Planet I see that David Rose was originally signed up for this before the film's producer "discovered" the Barrons. Apparently Rose's main title theme is retained in the film and was released as a single at the time of the film's release. (Though watching the title sequence now it seems to be Barron's music.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    We're drifting off-topic again, but a few noteworthy sci fis before 1968 that I think are pretty cool:

METROPOLIS (1927)

That's it.

Crikey, mate. slant

George Pal's The War Of The Worlds?
    Siegel's The Body Snatchers
    Any of the Godzilla films?
    The Incredible Shrinking Man?
    When Worlds Collide?
    It! ?
    Fantastic Voyage?
    Any of the Quatermass films?
    This Island Earth?

To name but a few?

All exetremely well done, visually sumptuous and/or "thinking man's" science fiction.
    And I am honestly amazed you haven't come across Forbidden Planet as a classic in the genre in any of your reading, and honestly, I find that very hard to believe (unless it was the kind of academic literature that still has some pains recognising science fiction and fantasy as a proper genre. The great film maker Korda would be amused by that.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

METROPOLIS (1927)

That's it. There's a bunch of crap after 1968 too, but fortunately it set a new standard for the serious sci fis that followed.

Score-wise, there are many gems from the early period, though.

Not THE TIME MACHINE? WAR OF THE WORLDS? WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE? THIS ISLAND EARTH? and in the later 60's we have a little known classic called PLANET OF THE APES.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

METROPOLIS (1927)

That's it.

Crikey, mate. slant

George Pal's The War Of The Worlds?
    Siegel's The Body Snatchers
    Any of the Godzilla films?
    The Incredible Shrinking Man?
    When Worlds Collide?
    It! ?
    Fantastic Voyage?
    Any of the Quatermain films?
    This Island Earth?

To name but a few?

All exetremely well done, visually sumptuous and/or "thinking man's" science fiction.
    And I am honestly amazed you haven't come across Forbidden Planet as a classic in the genre in any of your reading, and honestly, I find that very hard to believe (unless it was the kind of academic literature that still has some pains recognising science fiction and fantasy as a proper genre. The great film maker Korda would be amused by that.)

^
    beaten to it.

Speaking of THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN, I've just started to read Richard Matheson's novel, more simply titled THE SHRINKING MAN, I wonder if it'll differ much?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    p.s. Martijn, QUATERMASS not Quatermain biggrin

and I know that's what you meant wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I had already edited my post before your admonition.
    (Do try and keep up! wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I forgot INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS. It's silly, but at least it's interesting in terms of the political connotations. FANTASTIC VOYAGE is a film I remember from my youth. So a little bit of nostalgia there...but I'll take INNERSPACE any day!

As for the rest....meh, not my thing. I could never connect to old "creature features". Even something like the classic KING KONG (1933). I can marvel at the technical wizardry, but I can't get involved in the narrative. So a purely academic interest, if you will.

When it comes to sci fi, I crave realism and seriousness and "artiness". Alternatively go all-out opera, like STAR WARS. Very little of that prior to 2001 - A SPACE ODDYSSEY.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Irvin Kershner, one of the driving forces behind Empire, not my favourite but I can see why it is so for others. May he rest in peace in a galaxy far, far away...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. plindboe wrote
    Leslie Nielsen just died of pneumonia. sad 84 years old, so not a bad age.

Naked gun is still one of my alltime favourite comedies. No one could have done that character as well as Leslie.

Peter

I was surprised to read this, never thought he was that old.

Anyway, he was a comic genius and a respected actor, I will miss his funny interventions. Rest in peace man shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Leslie Nielsen was one of my heroes when I was growing up. Getting the complete Police Squad! on VHS for my eighth birthday possibly shows I was a strange child, but I watched them every week for at least two years - three episodes per week, every Sunday morning. OK, definitely a strange child. I still never get tired of watching them (or Airplane!) - maybe the Naked Gun films haven't held up quite so well, but they still have so many pricelessly funny parts. Thanks for the memories, Leslie. You had a long and rewarding life and certainly enriched mine.
  4. Reading that James, you sound like a perfectly normal child. We're only as strange as we let others view ourselves.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I never saw Airplane! or The Naked Gun films at the cinema and have only occasionally seen one or two of them on TV since so I never really got into these films. Police Squad will always be what I'm reminded of when I think of Nielsen. Which isn't a bad thing!

That's surprising, since I think the first Naked gun movie is way better than the Police squad series. The movie was based on the series, so it's the same humour, just delivered better, and if you like the series, you should love the movie. That said, the second and third Naked gun movies aren't that fantastic. The first one is almost the perfect comedy. Seek it out, it's really worth it.

Airplane is brilliant as well, and has an almost identical kind of humour.

Peter smile
  5. I think it's partly to do with me not really liking comedy on the big screen.

The cinema experience for me has always been about visual spectacle. Drama and comedy (without spectacle) can quite easily stay on TV. Therefore, I love Police Squad but never taken to the movies. And by the time they do arrive on TV there's always something more worthwhile to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2011 edited
    Pete Postlethwaite, a genuine character actor who appeared in many of my favourite movies, especially those by Spielberg, has died at a far too young 64. I didn't even know he was ill. sad

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Article/201009115878714
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2011
    I didn't know he was ill, either. Very sad. RIP.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Oh man, I didn't know either! Such a great actor, such an early age...

R.I.P. sad
  6. Damn! He was still so young. I'll always remember him for his wonderful performance in 'In the name of the Father', alongside an equally impressive Daniel Day-Lewis.

RIP Mr. Postlethwaite, I know my dad will be shocked when he hears this! sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Such a sad news! I've watched Solomon Kane last night at the cinema and we commented how he was the only worthwhile performance. Loved him in INCEPTION too, such a brilliant actor. Will be missed, r.i.p.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. I want to watch The Usual Suspects now...
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    That's shocking news ! shocked
    Like many of you I didn't even knew he was sick !
    What a way to start the new year ... sad
    He was in so many great films
    I loved him in DragonHeart as Gilbert of Glockenspur and as the hunter Roland Tembo in The Lost World .
    He was such a great actor and presence on screen ...

R.I.P. Mr. Postlethwaite and thanks for all these years of entertainment ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  8. Thor wrote
    Pete Postlethwaite, a genuine character actor who appeared in many of my favourite movies, especially those by Spielberg, has died at a far too young 64. I didn't even know he was ill. sad

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Article/201009115878714

64? I didn't knew that he was that young, I thought he was older. He was one of thoses actors which I always loved to see in a film, since Dragonheart and Romeo and Juliet. I liked his performance in Affleck's "The Town".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very saddened to hear this, I'll particularly remember him for his brilliant performances in Brassed Off and In The Name of The Father.

I believe Pete Postlethwaite must have lived here in Bristol for some time or at least continually visited? I used to see him about regularly around the docks and King Street ( which Bregt, Alan, James, Jim & Bregje will remember from our meeting a few years ago ).